Blair losing weight like crazy

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
CHICAGO -- Look out for DeJuan Blair. If anyone made an impact on the first day of the NBA’s combine here, it was Blair. That’s because, when he stepped on the scale this morning for his official weigh-in, he registered at 275, an astounding 40 pounds less than the 315 he was at just four weeks ago, when he began working out at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. In fact, Blair said that when he worked out for Phoenix just three days ago, he was 289.

Fourteen pounds in three days? “I called my mom after the weigh-in,” Blair said. “She said, ‘Did you cut your leg off?’”

This draft is thin on power forwards once you get past surefire No. 1 pick Blake Griffin and Jordan Hill, who is likely to go in the top seven. The two knocks on Blair -- who averaged 15.7 points and 12.3 rebounds this year at Pittsburgh -- are his height and his weight. But, thanks to some intense badgering from his nutritionist and a high-protein, low-carb diet, weight no longer seems to be a problem.

“I haven’t been this slim since the 10th grade,” Blair said. “I blew up, but now I am back down. I like where I am. Trust me, I am not going to blow up again.”
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/Th...24793/slim_blair_turns_heads_at_draft_combine

40 lbs in 4 weeks? 14 lbs. in 3 days? Wow.

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
He also goes on to mention that he measured 6'6.5. I'm assuming that's without shoes? So many conflicting reports on the height...

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
Blair looks great conditioning wise, but the guy shoots rocks.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
I take it he found the Eddy Curry diet.

Wade Wilson

Liked Posts:
I don't think this as much of positive. I see potential negatives with two lines of thinking:

1. If he legitimately has dropped all that weight in such rapid fashion, it makes me question his work ethic, as even without a professional personal trainer, what does that say about his work ethic if he's been so out of shape until now, even taking into account not having a personal trainer until now? Can he be trusted to dedicate himself once he starts getting paid?

2. He's on the Eddy Curry diet. That is a negative because he'd be risking his health and taking a shortcut rather than truly getting in shape, which again would make me question his work ethic going forward.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
At his weight, I don't think it takes something that crazy to lose 40 lbs in a month and doesn't necessitate some crazy diet given the large percentage of water weight he could easily fluctuate. He probably would lose 20lbs by just improving his diet and stopping his body from storing so much excess water.

I think what's more interesting is that he was at 315 to begin with. I never thought he was that big. There are several examples of guys who've had to go through this kind of thing and be successful though. Udanis Haslem, Al Jefferson, Andrew Bynum, Carlos Boozer, etc..

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah he's probably on the Eddy Curry diet. Let's just hope he doesn't have the Eddy Curry work ethic. He never looked that big to me, but I guess it was just a lot of excess water like DT said.

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
6'6.5 is taller than Milsap and Bass so that's good. He won't be there at 16 though guys

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Wow thats some killer work ethic, however Big baby did the same thing kind of but than put all the weight back on.

RPK

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
Wow thats some killer work ethic, however Big baby did the same thing kind of but than put all the weight back on.

Exactly. Anytime a player loses this much weight that quickly, you have to expect him to eventually stabilize somewhere in the middle of what he was and where he is now.

I remember Eddy Curry losing a ton of weight during his contract year, only to gain all that back, plus a few extra pounds.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Ralphb07 wrote:
6'6.5 is taller than Milsap and Bass so that's good. He won't be there at 16 though guys

I kind of hope he's not. I really don't want Blair.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I remember Eddie Curry losing a ton of weight during his contract year, only to gain all that back, plus a few extra pounds.

Very true, but Eddy Curry had a long history of being lazy. Blair is supposed to be a hard worker. With a professional trainer and chef, he seems like the kidn of guy who will keep off the weight.

Mike

Liked Posts:
Two words: Wii Fit

Wii Sports Resort comes out in a month too, so I wouldn't be that worried about the weight coming back either.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Does Blair losing 40 lbs in a month set off a red flag? Why not sooner and why so rapid?

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
TheStig wrote:
Does Blair losing 40 lbs in a month set off a red flag? Why not sooner and why so rapid?

I don't think it's a red flag that he lost the weight, you could argue that being at 315 in the first place was the red flag.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
A overweight guy like Blair could succeed in college without no problem. He could put on his cement boots on defense, and not have to move much on the college level. But that's not going to be the case at the pro level, so losing the weight was mandatory. I guess the kid didn't lose the weight until now because he really didn't have to lose the weight.

That being said, the speed of his weight loss does scream over the counter fat burner.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
A guy who was 315 and limits his carbs for a month would easily drop 40 lbs. The question is how much can he get his body fat down and not how much weight can he lose. Most people who lose weight that fast are losing water which is obviously not going to be even remotely permanent.

Mike

Liked Posts:
Ralphb07 wrote:

Pretty certain that's shorter than both those players. I believe it's a full inch shorter than Milsap, and 3/4 of an inch shorter than Bass.

This measurement certainly didn't do him any favors (height wise), but I think we were all expecting him to be short, right?

I generally hate to hold an inch here-or-there against players, but for a power forward, under 6'7" is not a good place to be.

rodman

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:

I kind of hope he's not. I really don't want Blair.

Why Doug? You think his rebounding won't translate to the NBA or do you really like someone else?