Blow up the defense after this year

Toast88

Liked Posts:
This defense is no longer good. The big contracts no longer serve a purpose.

-Hicks ($12 mil salary this year, then free agent)
-Goldman ($7.8 mil, $12 mil next year)
-Quinn ($11 mil this year, $17 mil next year)
-Mack ($15 mil this year, $30 mil next year)
-Jackson ($5 mil this year, $15 mil next year)
-Trevathan ($5 mil this year, $6 mil next year)

That’s $80 million wrapped up in 5 defensive players next year.

Because of dead cap issues, you can’t just jettison all those guys at once, but we’ve definitely seen enough to start phasing them out as quickly as reasonably possible.

Start spending money on o-line help and offensive weapons while re-growing the defense from the ground up.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Just eat the dead cap space and tank the rest of this season and next season. Rip the bandaid off now instead of prolonging the inevitable.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I don’t think the defense is as bad as they’ve been playing (Desai), but we need to get younger and cheaper so we can invest in the offense, definitely..

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The rebuild would be real if they at least had draft picks. Pace fucked that up too
That’s why you just make the touch decision next year. We have no cap space and a failing roster plus no picks just take the pain and the following year build a killer

oh and just don’t hire anyone Ernie suggests

Bust

Liked Posts:
OLDEST DEFENSE IN THE NFL

THEY HAVE BEEN BEAT UP AND BATTERED OVER THE YEARS DUE TO THE INCOMPETENT OFFENSE

IT WASN'T CHUCK AFTERALL > > >

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Hicks is for sure gone next year, he clearly doesn't have much left. Danny T is gone. Pretty sure you're gonna have to keep Mack, Quinn and Jackson at least thru next year.

BigTom

Liked Posts:
Going to have to let Roquan go if he's thinking he's worth $100m. He's a solid lb that you like to have but he's not a game changer that is deserving of a huge payday. He has a good game every once in a while that gets people hyped for him then he disappears for a few games before showing up again.

Seeing Roquan and Fred Warner on the same field today Roquan isn't in that same category with him.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I know Matt Nagy is the devil and the cause of all ills but this is just a poorly constructed football team. That's on Pace.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Going to have to let Roquan go if he's thinking he's worth $100m. He's a solid lb that you like to have but he's not a game changer that is deserving of a huge payday. He has a good game every once in a while that gets people hyped for him then he disappears for a few games before showing up again.

Seeing Roquan and Fred Warner on the same field today Roquan isn't in that same category with him.
Listen to trade offers on anybody except fields, Herbert, Mooney and Johnson.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
I know Matt Nagy is the devil and the cause of all ills but this is just a poorly constructed football team. That's on Pace.
Pace hired the Bald Fraud so why not just say they both suck and Lyin Ryan is responsible.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Roquan has a fatal flaw, and that is he can't stack and shed at all. Once an OL has his hands on him, it's pretty much over.
He got really abused today. You have to keep him clean.

Trevethan is done, Ogletree can play decent zone defense and will make a play here or there but isn't a starting caliber LB.

Linebackers were nowhere to be found against the outside today.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To the OP.

In the NFL I believe drafting is so difficult, and more importantly competent successful team units protect themselves and everyone else on the team from injury, or attrition.

Therefore you should never go full Mel Tucker. It ruins guys you are trying to build with, increases snap counts and sets you back years you can't make up in player attrition.

There are many things franchises can do but I don't think the baseball/basketball strategy of tanking is very effective in football.

Last edited: