Bobby Peters - What Happened to Matt Nagy's Offense in 2019?

mecha

Liked Posts:
Cohen running to the sidelines was one thing, a big enough percentage of passes were thrown sideways for almost no gain too, which is probably cause Trubisky panics and shit every snap. since Cutler comparisons are seemingly inevitable now, I will say Trubisky doesn't have "it" to overcome the deficiencies and seeming incompetence. on the flip side however, Nagy's trying to run one thing that the talent cannot, he deserves blame for not adapting. I'll bring this back again, if they ran the ball more they would probably have won more games. maybe 3 or 4 losses could've been avoided as a result.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Anyone who answers yes to wanting Tannehill is full of shit. They would have kicked him off the team after year two...his stats were worse than Trubisky's. Tannehill would not have been around by the time he performed this well.

Tannehill never beat the passer rating Trubisky had until this year.

And whomever pointed out the running back.....yes that is a huge reason.

Gather your bearings, modo. It’s not that cut and dry. RT has pretty much improved every year in the league. Or at least stayed consistent. He certainly never regressed or played like one of the worst QBs in the league.

In his 2nd year in the league he had 24 TDs and 17 picks. Year 3 he had 27 TDs and 12 picks. No one would have wanted him gone after year 2. Maybe a couple of meatballs would but most people would have rode with him. Then he had a very productive year 3. Steady play, some incremental growth, and now a gigantic leap. MT has been all over the place and took a big hit this year. Year 4 and Nagy is talking about him needing to read coverages better. Not good.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gather your bearings, modo. It’s not that cut and dry. RT has pretty much improved every year in the league. Or at least stayed consistent. He certainly never regressed or played like one of the worst QBs in the league.

In his 2nd year in the league he had 24 TDs and 17 picks. Year 3 he had 27 TDs and 12 picks. No one would have wanted him gone after year 2. Maybe a couple of meatballs would but most people would have rode with him. Then he had a very productive year 3. Steady play, some incremental growth, and now a gigantic leap. MT has been all over the place and took a big hit this year. Year 4 and Nagy is talking about him needing to read coverages better. Not good.
People wanted Trubisky gone midway year 2. You are being to lenient.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
People wanted Trubisky gone midway year 2. You are being to lenient.

that’s true but so far they’re being proven correct. Proved correctly, really. RT came back in year 3 and had 27 TDs and 12 INTs. I don’t care about comparing passer ratings. I care more about the incremental growth that RT took that Mitch hasn’t. He regressed big time this year.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
that’s true but so far they’re being proven correct. Proved correctly, really. RT came back in year 3 and had 27 TDs and 12 INTs. I don’t care about comparing passer ratings. I care more about the incremental growth that RT took that Mitch hasn’t. He regressed big time this year.

You aren’t getting the correlation thru year 2

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
I personally think Nagy has too much on plate. Great leader but the guy needs to be the head coach and not an OC

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
No run game and no QB. But it’s Nagy’s fault? Give me a fucking break. The biggest issue with this offense is dog shit personnel at key positions (QB, OL, and TE). Can a single Trubisky Truther / Nagy hater point to a single offense with a bottom 5 QB and a bottom 5 run game that was successful?

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
No run game and no QB. But it’s Nagy’s fault? Give me a fucking break. The biggest issue with this offense is dog shit personnel at key positions (QB, OL, and TE). Can a single Trubisky Truther / Nagy hater point to a single offense with a bottom 5 QB and a bottom 5 run game that was successful?
3OL 2TE 1WR positions.

They just arent bad they are worst in the league performers.

jive

Liked Posts:
There's been many years where Rodgers had terrible offenses and no running game, but still managed to win games. That's what a good QB can do for you. Trubisky can't do that right now.

Trubisky has below average decision making. There's a number of times where I saw a wide open running lane for him in an RPO, but instead he hands it off for a loss. There's open receivers on many plays, but Trubisky doesn't see them or throw to them, even if he' has a clean pocket. He can't read defenses well, resulting in those 'who was he throwing to?' passes. He even admits he plays better when he doesn't have to think as much, which means he hasn't developed past sand lot football in terms of football IQ.

Nagy certainly has his faults, but I have no doubt that an average QB could thrive in his offense. We just need to get one.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
There's been many years where Rodgers had terrible offenses and no running game, but still managed to win games. That's what a good QB can do for you. Trubisky can't do that right now.

And the only time he won a championship, was when he had great WRs and a top-5 defense. I know people focus on how bad the Packers are(aside from Rodgers), and how amazing of a QB Rodgers is, which allows them to compete every year. But that's obviously not a blueprint for real success.

If I'm being honest, I don't think I've ever looked at the Packers and thought, "They're going to win it all this year."

Look at this excerpt from this article:

https://championinsiders.com/nfl/aaron-rodgers-record-against-winning-teams/

"Since 2012, Aaron Rodgers is 17-26-1 (.395) against teams that finished the season with a winning record."
(in 2019, the Packers went 3-2 vs. teams with a better than .500 record. 2 of those wins were vs. the Vikings, and one of them was vs. a Mahomes-less Chiefs.)

I know in the past some people have used this argument as a reason to say that Rodgers isn't as good as people say he is, or that he can't win big games. Like he's a bumslayer like Kirk Cousins. But I think all of this highlights how important it is to surround your QB, no matter who it is, with a decent team.

Look at them this year. They're 13-3, which seems impressive. But they are a middling team that got to play a schedule full of bums this season. If they make it by Seattle, I'll be amazed. And if they have to play SF on the road, they are likely going to get absolutely shit on again. The Packers this season are fool's gold.

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Stop trying to make Trubisky happen. It's not going to happen.

Trubisky and the O-line couldn't execute, simple as that.

Nagy wasn't perfect but he isn't the one on the field.
He isn’t on the field but he is the head coach. Too busy with his head in his Denny’s menu to do what he’s supposed to do.

If you’re going to bash Trubisky & let Nagy off the hook for constantly moving away from what works, for not holding anyone accountable, for having his head in his menu so much that he isn’t reacting to situations, understanding the ebbs & flows of the game.

Nagy can still be a good HC but will never be a good playcaller. I think he’s good with his personnel & people want to do well for him. The sooner he realises that, the better. Or, he doesn’t have a job this time next year.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Cool story.

How many QB's can succeed with bottom tier play calling and bottom tier running game? Not to mention no tight end play at all.

I don't care who you put behind center, if the offense is the same, and that includes nagy, the result will still be the same.

When a defense plays 2 high and you can't run the ball to beat it your passing offense is not going to be very effective.

Matt Nagy's offense was predictable and pedestrian this year. There is improvement to be done all over the field on offense, the worry most have is that matt nagy, like you, doesn't think he's an issue.

msadows

Liked Posts:
He isn’t on the field but he is the head coach. Too busy with his head in his Denny’s menu to do what he’s supposed to do.

If you’re going to bash Trubisky & let Nagy off the hook for constantly moving away from what works, for not holding anyone accountable, for having his head in his menu so much that he isn’t reacting to situations, understanding the ebbs & flows of the game.

Not only did Nagy fail to stick to what his players are good at, he failed to stick to what he’s good at. Hand over the OC job to an OC, put down the menu. I think he can be a HC but if he’s not going to actually be one, then the Bears are fucked with or without Trubisky.

I lost all faith that nagy had any idea what the fuck he was calling after the chargers loss.

Designed RPO sweep on 3rd and goal at the 10 yard line.

5 tries from the goal line on the next drive and couldnt get it in.

Then the fucking joke ending to the game where I was baffled by the fact he didnt try to make the kick easier for his noob kicker.

overall that game was just a highlight of his piss playcalling/decision making

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I lost all faith that nagy had any idea what the fuck he was calling after the chargers loss.

Designed RPO sweep on 3rd and goal at the 10 yard line.

5 tries from the goal line on the next drive and couldnt get it in.

Then the fucking joke ending to the game where I was baffled by the fact he didnt try to make the kick easier for his noob kicker.

overall that game was just a highlight of his piss playcalling/decision making
Which is exactly why he needs to give that shit up. He’s the biggest problem with the offense, then it’s the o-line & then Trubisky.

His career depends on getting his head out of his ass. Once it’s noticed nationally, it becomes a stigma.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
5 Thoughts:

1) Can't have an RPO when the run is blown to shit as soon as the QB has the ball in hand. Rarely an option (yet Trubs still wrongly handed it off too often) - self preservation?? ?‍♂️

2) Rarely even a valid THREAT of run game present when teams consistently blow up the OL in nickel, even dime. When DM has hell, > HALF of his rushing yards AFTER contact and all team rushing stats are bottom 3 in the league, how TF is RPO even an option!? A: It's not. (n)

3) If Nags couldn't fix the OL, he should've adjusted RPO out til he had the personnel to execute it consistently enough to pose a balanced threat. Instead he pigeon-holed the O into obvious & forced passing into nickel & dime with less downs to use & more yards to go after runs consistently netted 1, 0, -2, -1, 0, 3, -3 yards etc. til cows come home. = tee time for blitzes they struggle to pick up. (snowball effect)

4) Tape Never Lies clearly showed LBs from several teams never even stepping FW post snap...they KNEW when a pass play was coming. Some even told their DLs presnap to drop back. That's on Nagy & OL for tipping their plays.

5)
Comments so far about Trubs' lack of ELITE speed make a good point. He's especially toast when there's usually 1-2 missed blocks &/or unsustained blocks per play. Seriously. Watch the tape. It's pathetic.

Summary: Offense was pissing into the wind with everyone complaining of rain.

Last edited:

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Which is exactly why he needs to give that shit up. He’s the biggest problem with the offense, then it’s the o-line & then Trubisky.

His career depends on getting his head out of his ass. Once it’s noticed nationally, it becomes a stigma.

I really hope he mans up and lets the OC to be named call the plays. He can still help create his cutesy plays, but needs experience to dial things up at the right time and more so - hold off from those when called for! Adapt. Set other teams up. Plan ahead. Adapt again.

Need an OC who will keep Nagy in line.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Matt Nagy's offense was predictable and pedestrian this year. There is improvement to be done all over the field on offense, the worry most have is that matt nagy, like you, doesn't think he's an issue.

This is my biggest concern. The last thing he said in his post-game presser about how they need to learn from this sub-par season, I just got this idea that he meant that everyone ELSE needs to learn from it. I hope to fuck he's going to be introspective this offseason, and that being an offensive coach and being one of the worst in the league will humble him into taking a long look in the mirror.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is my biggest concern. The last thing he said in his post-game presser about how they need to learn from this sub-par season, I just got this idea that he meant that everyone ELSE needs to learn from it. I hope to fuck he's going to be introspective this offseason, and that being an offensive coach and being one of the worst in the league will humble him into taking a long look in the mirror.

His hands were tied with the shit TE and OL production, hence no run game or threat of it. He still should've adapted. Not experienced enough to play OC and HC on a team with such suddenly big glaring holes they weren't prepared for...incl losing Hicks.

Given this, Nagy's O started around here...and he adapted equally well.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I have seen this narrative before.

How many coaches and OC’s did we have to go through with Cutler before everyone finally realised that Cutler just doesn’t have what it takes?

How much money and resources did we put around Cutler only for him to produce no significant wins? Cutler had 4 pro bowlers for weapons at one stage and this team didn’t make the playoffs.

If the QB isn’t good, it doesn’t matter about anything else on the offensive side of the ball.