Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
I get what you’re saying but Cutler got a lot longer though. So did Trubisky.

I don’t think giving Fields another year is unreasonable. The roster does suck. But he did improve. Not guaranteeing he’ll be Allen but the situations are sorta similar.

I certainly don’t want to go down the big second contract route again like they did with Cutler unless we’re 100% sure he’s the guy though. Next year is big.

This is 100% reasonable. I just hate that they wasted two years of truly evaluating what they have at QB because of a coaching and GM change. It's the textbook way not to help a young QB.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Just going back to last season Mac Jones had 3800 yards as a rookie with 2 300 yard games and a 299 one. Consensus here is he sucks.

Taylor Heinicke had over 3400 yards with a 300 yard game.

Thats just a few from last year. Looking at 2019 there was Kyle Allen (who?) Gardner Minshew and Trubisky with over 3k yards and multiple 300 yard games.

It shouldn't be that hard to hit those numbers for Fields when those guys are doing it.

The thing that all of these quarterbacks have in common is superior offensive talent around their quarterback.

Anyone with eyes can see that Mac Jones is trash. Same with Kyle Allen, the NVP, and Minshew.

If you look at any of the above mentions QBs and think that they are better than Fields, then you must be either brain dead or prejudiced.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This is 100% reasonable. I just hate that they wasted two years of truly evaluating what they have at QB because of a coaching and GM change. It's the textbook way not to help a young QB.

Yeah Ideally the QB and GM change happens the same year. Agreed

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Such short memories. Acting like we didn't go through this with Cutler. He had special arm talent too like Fields legs that kept stringing people along believing next year would be the year. It was the line, the receivers, the offensive coordinators. Everyone but the QB. The fun new twist this time is if you critique the QB you're a racist.
Yeah we went through it with Cutler who was in his 4th NFL season by the time the Bears traded for him.

There was a time where it made all the sense in the world to want to see Cutler get surrounded with talent and better coaching. He was a 4500 yard passer in DEN with Mike Shanahan, Brandon Marshall and a good OL. Shocking he turned into a Bears QB under Lovie Smith. That same year we saw improvement from Kyle Orton when he went to DEN. You would have to be an idiot to see two different QBs go in two different directions when they swapped teams and think situation had nothing to do with it. The issue with the Cutler excuses is that they kept happening after a decade and he had at one point two WRs who many considered to be the best tandem in the league. The support system was so good it added years to Josh McCowns career.

But yeah, Fields having zero years with anything resembling a good situation is too much. Get me Ben DiNucci on the phone!

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Because you're comically flip floppy on JF.
Nah baba has been pretty middle road on Fields. I expected the people who wanted fields to fail to come out full force after that terrible game but don’t lump Sheepy in it

greg23

Liked Posts:
Before the Justin Defense League gets in a tizzy….

Ask yourself…

Has Fields played well enough?

Justin himself would say no.

Is there anyone out there who thinks he has played well enough? Put it on the record!

Yes, the oline sucks. Yes, the receivers suck.

But Fields still needs to play better. He’s still not a finished product. I promise you he’d say the exact same thing.

Why does this common sense shit offend y’all?

Seriously this should not be offending you guys. I think the guy has an MVP ceiling. Love the kid. Would love to build around him for 10+ years if it works out. But saying something as basic as he hasn’t arrived and he needs to play better offends you? C’mon….
Racist

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:
There was never this kind of narrative around Trubisky until it was clear that he flat out wasn’t the guy.

Legitimately idiotic behavior to act like Fields is the sole reason this offense sucked towards the end of the season. Don’t mention the streak of 30 point games, don’t mention how bad/injured the wrs were, don’t mention the trash offensive line is. Just more lazy bullshit from the Chicago sports media. If players and coaches from opposing teams can see it, why can’t these hacks??

thedarkstark

Liked Posts:
I'm not going to call him a racist but honestly look at a photo of Brad Biggs and tell me dude doesn't look like the god damned Grand Wizard of the KKK.

He might be a good guy just trying to get clicks but he has the most "I fuck my cousin and want to preserve teh white race" vibes.

Just sayin.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Justin Fields does not need you guys to defend him. He isn't a finished product by any means and he would probably agree with that

This past week was not his best game. I'd go as far to say that it was probably his worst game of the season, passing wise. With that said, I've seen him playing good efficient football for long stretches. So one game where the rest of the offense seemed checked out, is being overblown

You got guys who will make every excuse and never place blame on Justin and you have the guys that blame him for everything and act like he has never played well at all this season. It's somewhere in the middle

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just going back to last season Mac Jones had 3800 yards as a rookie with 2 300 yard games and a 299 one. Consensus here is he sucks.

Taylor Heinicke had over 3400 yards with a 300 yard game.

Thats just a few from last year. Looking at 2019 there was Kyle Allen (who?) Gardner Minshew and Trubisky with over 3k yards and multiple 300 yard games.

It shouldn't be that hard to hit those numbers for Fields when those guys are doing it.

Jones threw it 36 and 32 times in his 300 yard games.

Heinicke threw it 46 times in his 300 yard game.

Also not sure how Pats are a bad team when they made the playoffs. Heinicke also has Scary Terry and other weapons on that team far superior to Bears.

Such short memories. Acting like we didn't go through this with Cutler. He had special arm talent too like Fields legs that kept stringing people along believing next year would be the year. It was the line, the receivers, the offensive coordinators. Everyone but the QB. The fun new twist this time is if you critique the QB you're a racist.

Cutler had BMarsh, AJ and a much better offensive line. He failed with much better talent around him.

Last edited:

Ironhead22

Liked Posts:
How many QBs throw for 300+ yards with 15-20 attempts? Biggs is lazy. The problem is the play calling, which could be a direct result of a brutal OL and bad WR's. We start a guy at WR who's best trait is that he can block.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
You are seeing legacy Bears beat media who have gotten fat and happy off of selling QB panic to Bears fans desperately trying to generate a narrative in the vain hopes that it somehow convinces the Bears they need to draft a new quarterback, which resets the clock for them to generate more QB panic.

These lazy fucks are absolutely shameless.
^^^^^^

In the age of clicks and (over)reaction, Biggs knows the traffic affecting the algorithm behind his idiotic posts matters. Like SKip Bayless, what he's saying doesn't matter and his point is meaningless, what matters is he makes a loud, stupid point and you react to it and clutch your pearls or dig in/scream in agreement.

Brad Biggs used to be great though, shame you can't take him seriously anymore, and its a bigger shame he can't just report facts or the entire picture for context, because he's smart enough to know why Fields has struggled as a passer--but being honest and explaining it in plain terms just doesn't generate revenue for TRONC.

But sadly he's been slinging cringeworthy, horseshit takes for attention like this for close to 3-4 years now (my personal favorite was 'The bears made a huge mistake cutting Charles Leno' LOLOL). Most of the bears beat "reporters" do.

Canth

Liked Posts:
During the 5-6 game stretch where the Bears were really moving the ball and putting up points, I would say that Fields was very efficient with the ball - both passing and running. Yeah, he didn't have a bunch of passing yards, but he was very effective with the passes he was making.

Since the shoulder injury, along with numerous injuries throughout the offense, I think it was obvious that they stagnated and regressed a bit. It happens especially as the losses mount.

I think it's fair to say that Fields struggled this past Sunday as the game went on. I think it's fair to say he has plenty of room for improvement.

What I think is dumb is to say or heavily imply that the Bears should move on from Fields this upcoming offseason. They need to spend their resources in the FA and draft in building the team around Fields. IMO, a big part of that is trading back in this year's draft to accumulate more picks. They are in desperate need of talent across the entire team and I think that is the best way to accelerate building the team. They are way more than just 1 difference making defensive player away from competing for the playoffs, let alone a Superbowl (assuming an Anderson or Carter pick there..)

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Very few beat writers really know the ins and outs of football from a technique and strategy perspective. They know how to interview people, how to summarize things, and most of all how to write things that people will read.

I have never gone out of my way to read any beat writer. You can get more from watching the games and paying attention and learning about football. That said, someone like Matt Bowen is really helpful, dude is great at presenting high level football discourse in a digestible package. You aren't going to get that from someone trained as a journalist and not an analyst.

I would say I'm slightly less sanguine on Fields as a passer than the average poster on CCS, but I am still very excited about his overall game, ability to improve, and most of all his demeanor.