Brandon Smith ILB PENN STATE

Liked Posts:
This is my pick from this draft class. Its not even that difficult for me to determine.

The Bears need a true MIKE LB with size and speed who can cover down the pipe.

Brandon Smith fits this mold damn near perfectly as a fit for the middle of a base 4-3 Tampa 2.

I DONT want to see another Mel Tucker type nightmare where the DC is attempting to run a 4-3 T2 while lacking a true MIKE LB and 3 TECHNIQUE.

Roquan Smith at the WILL and Brandon Smith at the MIKE and you have alot of speed and coverage ability for a system thats going to demand its two every down LBs spend legitimate time dropping back.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Brandon Smith is perfect on the eye test. If I was going to build an ideal LB, it would be him. 6'3", long arms, probably runs a 4.5 on a bad day. But man, he needs a TON of work. His instincts are lacking, he can't get off mediocre blocks, and he is often a tick too late diagnosing plays to me.

I like him a lot as a prospect, especially if you can get him where he should go (late 3rd-early 5th) vs. where his upside says he should go (late 1-mid 2nd). And I like the potential of Eberflus to develop him like he has several LBs so far. But I think he'd have to be a SAM LB to start and potentially move to Mike with development.

Bust

Liked Posts:
PASS, LINEBACKERS ARE LIKE RUNNING BACKS

PLUG AND PLAY POSITION

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I mean if you want to run a Tampa 2 the 3 tech is far more important than Mike and the Bears have nothing at 3 tech except a couple guys who really aren't 3 techs.

greg23

Liked Posts:
a project and on defense

geez......

any wonder why this team continually stinks on offense?

Liked Posts:
Brandon Smith is perfect on the eye test. If I was going to build an ideal LB, it would be him. 6'3", long arms, probably runs a 4.5 on a bad day. But man, he needs a TON of work. His instincts are lacking, he can't get off mediocre blocks, and he is often a tick too late diagnosing plays to me.

I like him a lot as a prospect, especially if you can get him where he should go (late 3rd-early 5th) vs. where his upside says he should go (late 1-mid 2nd). And I like the potential of Eberflus to develop him like he has several LBs so far. But I think he'd have to be a SAM LB to start and potentially move to Mike with development.
Thats what Im hoping too. Right now hes rated as a mid round prospect.

Hes primarily a 4-3 coverage MIKE heading to a league looking for sawed off pluggers for hybrid defenses.

The demand for him may not be high as it is for the interior 3-4 ILBS

I would REALLY like to see the first pick used on either a CENTER or WR.

But Smith IS the prototypical MIKE that DCs seek to drop into the robber, or cover down the pipe in 2 deep coverages, or split the hook zones underneath 3 deep with the WILL in a base cover 3.

Roquan and Brandon Smith would cover ALOT of ground.

This is the player I want from this draft, no matter what round we can scoop him up in.

Liked Posts:
I mean if you want to run a Tampa 2 the 3 tech is far more important than Mike and the Bears have nothing at 3 tech except a couple guys who really aren't 3 techs.
I get it. If youre going by priority the 3TECH is priority 1 and the MIKE LB is priority 1A.

The problem is your probably not going to find the value that you want for a 3 tech since the demand for them IS high. Being that the 3 tech is used in BOTH the HYBRID and 4-3 defenses.

I REALLY hope we resign Nichols. He may not be a long term solution as a 3 tech but is better suited to play the position than the naysayers give him credit for.

I want to see multiple positions addressed also. But the Bears ARE going to pick a LB in this draft somewhere.

Bet your bottom dollar on it & find one that you like.

Brandon Smith is a perfect fit for this system and may be able to be had since hes more of a 4-3 zone coverage LB heading to a league looking for sawed off inside pluggers.

Brandon Smith and Roquan will be all over the place out there in coverage in a league thats a pass happy CRAPSHOOT and a HC with a history of NOT blitzing alot.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I get it. If youre going by priority the 3TECH is priority 1 and the MIKE LB is priority 1A.

The problem is your probably not going to find the value that you want for a 3 tech since the demand for them IS high. Being that the 3 tech is used in BOTH the HYBRID and 4-3 defenses.

I REALLY hope we resign Nichols. He may not be a long term solution as a 3 tech but is better suited to play the position than the naysayers give him credit for.

I want to see multiple positions addressed also. But the Bears ARE going to pick a LB in this draft somewhere.

Bet your bottom dollar on it & find one that you like.

Brandon Smith is a perfect fit for this system and may be able to be had since hes more of a 4-3 zone coverage LB heading to a league looking for sawed off inside pluggers.

Brandon Smith and Roquan will be all over the place out there in coverage in a league thats a pass happy CRAPSHOOT and a HC with a history of NOT blitzing alot.
Anthony Walker, who played MIKE under Eberflus and Williams for four years, will be relatively cheap and fine. Basically no way they select a LB at 39. Depends on how FA goes past that.

Nichols is meh as a 3 tech, probably not worth the money.

Liked Posts:
Anthony Walker, who played MIKE under Eberflus and Williams for four years, will be relatively cheap and fine. Basically no way they select a LB at 39. Depends on how FA goes past that.

Nichols is meh as a 3 tech, probably not worth the money.
They need to keep Nichols. Youre right hes not the long term answer as the 3 TECH.

Yet he has already shown that he can thrive off the shoulder of the RG.

Everyone keeps assuming that Nichols cant play 3Tech. he can.

The problem has been that weve had to waste his talents on the NOSE AND as a 5TECH because Goldman has not been reliable and Hicks is succumbing to injury via father time.

When Nichols has lined up as the 3 TECH and in the 2i he has actually done very well.

None the less they DONT just need a 3TECH. They need a quality SHADE that can keep the 3TECH clean. Nichols is DEFINITELY able to fit that role.

They will role with 4-5 DTS & right now NICHOLS is the best fit that we have to utilize in this system.

Neither Goldman or Hicks are fits for this system, yet we have to retain one of the three.

Nichols is the best fit we have. Keep him.

Liked Posts:
Damn.....sweet retort.....you win tough guy.
Oh shut the fuck up. Everyone knows we need WR and OLINE help. No fucking shit sherlock.

We will get offensive help, its just a matter of who.

You dont have to fap off to the fat guys in every God damn thread.

But there ARE other needs on this roster and some of them will be met whether you like it or not.

We fucking get it. We need offensive help.

Now go be a squat to piss cunted cunt somewhere else.

Liked Posts:
a project and on defense

geez......

any wonder why this team continually stinks on offense?
BTW hes already a 4-3 ILB who proven his salt at all three of the MIKE, WILL, & SAM LB positions, that would be heading to a defense that needs a 4-3 inside LB.

Thats anything but a project, you fucking TOOL.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Oh shut the fuck up. Everyone knows we need WR and OLINE help. No fucking shit sherlock.

We will get offensive help, its just a matter of who.

You dont have to fap off to the fat guys in every God damn thread.

But there ARE other needs on this roster and some of them will be met whether you like it or not.

We fucking get it. We need offensive help.

Now go be a squat to piss cunted cunt somewhere else.
2 picks in the top 150 and you want a middle lb (an easily filled cheap position) at #39?

GTFO

A shutdown corner or edge rusher.....maybe......but I'd be perfectly fine with Poles drafting five offensive players in this draft.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The way dline get subbed out we really need two 3 tech like when we drafted Harris and tank in the same year

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

Bro, this is exactly what I was about to say! Put him at the SAM and let him play ST to season him a bit. Flus can work wonders with him. Also, I'd like to see what he can do with SAM side blitzes.

Liked Posts:
2 picks in the top 150 and you want a middle lb (an easily filled cheap position) at #39?

GTFO

A shutdown corner or edge rusher.....maybe......but I'd be perfectly fine with Poles drafting five offensive players in this draft.
They will use free agency to help alleviate offensive needs.

Why are you still typing ? I'm not reading your shit. Piss up a roap slap pappy.

greg23

Liked Posts:

Why are you still typing ? I'm not reading your shit. Piss up a roap slap pappy.
Like Goodwin, Byrd, Graham, James, Wilkinson, Ifedi, etc etc etc

Draft offense as it costs way more money in fa and young good players rarely see the market

Sign, plug and play the meatheads on defense

This roster is so devoid of talent on offense they can't waste picks on defense......

And you'll keep reading and responding because I'm right

Liked Posts:
Bro, this is exactly what I was about to say! Put him at the SAM and let him play ST to season him a bit. Flus can work wonders with him. Also, I'd like to see what he can do with SAM side blitzes.
Id put him right in the middle. We could probably keep Ogletree cheap and at this point in his career hes good for a one or two down SAM.

Would be a lot of speed among the 3 LBs. Plus Ogletree already played in this system with the Giants.

If the Bears are going to use one of their top picks on a defender I at least want that defender on the field on every down. Either at the MIKE or WILL.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

First off, bro, just looking at your posts here, I can see you know your shit. Don't let dudes get you down. This MB has guys who just one note what they read on twitter or something. They only seem to know the consensus and want to die on that hill. Don't feed them. Make a good point, and dudes like me and Rawdawg will be like, yup. Gotcha.

Now, Indi is known to double up on LB in their drafts and use premium picks on them. Due to Smiths real lack of coverage skills and that he appears to be a run thumper, he may actually fall to one of our 5ths. If we can get Chenal in the 3rd and come back and grab Smith with a 5th, and still have Roquan? Holy shit.

We would have the most amazing blitz package in the fucking world. Smith at the SAM, but filling in on a wider zone to cover Chenal's bltizes terrorizing the O. Talk about force multiplication.

So, I fully agree with you and get where you're coming from. You're right enough that, for what it's worth, I may begin to adapt my future mocks to take into account Smith with the 5th, or, if we're able to trade for it, our second 3rd or 4th.

Finally, I fully agree with you that we will address O in FA, especially OL. I don't get why people are like we need to draft a lot of O high for our line. I'm like, you want more than 1 rookie on our OL? Are you fucking crazy? People want a rookie C to start? That's insane. So, yeah. Sorry for the quick digression, but I really like the idea of SAM Smith, MUG Chenal, and WILL Roquan. Holy shit.