Breaking Down Cole Kmet

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Georgia was his best tape so analysis based on it is a bit skewed. Would be like throwing in tape of Trubs against the Bucs and using that to judge.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
i don't know what the coaches saw of shaheen in practice to make him a healthy scratch I only know the only really bad play I saw of him was that horrendous non first down in the philly playoff game, he was just hurt constantly. But I can't remember him dropping a pass in a game or anything

His blocking was atrocious and he is 275lbs and cannot defeat a jam.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Georgia was his best tape so analysis based on it is a bit skewed. Would be like throwing in tape of Trubs against the Bucs and using that to judge.

It was against the best opponent that Notre Dame played all season. That is why it was chosen. If you want to assess him against NFL level talent it does more than Navy.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
This was posted in another thread but is a nice analysis of Kmet. Simms was right on saying he's a first round talent but doesn't get out of the top 45. It all depends on team needs.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It was against the best opponent that Notre Dame played all season. That is why it was chosen. If you want to assess him against NFL level talent it does more than Navy.

It was still his best tape. If you want to assess him you need to look at several games so you can assess consistency.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

This is catch 1 and is a good example of where Kmet is at his best. He is not a shifty route runner. He is a big powerful straight line player.

Notre Dame asked him to run outs, drags, seams and hooks.

This drag gets him the ball on the move and makes him a huge issue for DBs.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It was still his best tape. If you want to assess him you need to look at several games so you can assess consistency.

Patience, working my way there.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I can post the passes and blocks, but have to do it through twitter so it may take a little while.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

It was also their best opponent.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It was also their best opponent.

I am aware but it was the first start of season and he never matched those numbers in the other 9.

So was it the case he caught Georgia flat footed to start off the season? He was pretty much an unknown coming into season so likely Georgia didnt pay him much mind.

In subsequent big games he underwhelmed as for example Michigan which some consider to be his worst tape. Was that because he was now on people's radar and once gameplanned for he was easily contained?

We saw something similar with Burton where he started out great because no one was checking for him but then taled off at end of season once teams had tape on him.

These are the types of things to look out for when you look at tape throughout season.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Windy, appreciate the breakdown. When you have the time, would appreciate a breakdown on Lachavious Simmons. He’s one I’m intrigued with. Heard he has tremendous power and nastiness, but needs work on his technique, which can hopefully be cleaned up.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shaheen vs Kmet

Both physically gifted.....drafted in the second...

Big difference was the competition they played against.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I cannot get the gifs I made to load.

He has some bad moments, mostly taking bad angles.
More good than bad.
When he lands on his block he wins. His size, base and power are good.

Upload them to IMGUR and link em.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I cannot get the gifs I made to load.

He has some bad moments, mostly taking bad angles.
More good than bad.
When he lands on his block he wins. His size, base and power are good.
So hopefully he gets an opportunity to work with Juan and the O-line to improve, but good to hear that he has the ability. If he can be that kind of dual threat, it actually helps him when he fakes a block.

Imagine being a LB or even worse a CB and trying to take on a block from him. You would prepare for a huge impact, and then zoom he is behind you....

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
He looks slower than his 40 time in game speed but then again most tight end plays are finding gaps vs truly beating someone with their speed. He’s smart and tough as nails so he’ll be good but a second rounder? I hope so

jonimus

Liked Posts:
So hopefully he gets an opportunity to work with Juan and the O-line to improve, but good to hear that he has the ability. If he can be that kind of dual threat, it actually helps him when he fakes a block.

Imagine being a LB or even worse a CB and trying to take on a block from him. You would prepare for a huge impact, and then zoom he is behind you....

Watching highlights from multiple games and I'm impressed with how ND used him. He is often in motion and often lining up either out of the backfield or out wide. Not what I was expecting with all the talk of him being a y - was definitely expecting majority straight up off the line, in line blocking and standard routes from that position. I think that is exactly how Nagy likes to use his TE's and this encourages me more that he can be a good fit. Also, he never goes down easily.