CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
The Bears won't trade him. Just bargaining by Smith but it does make the Bears look bad.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If real, bargaining tool. He clearly did not cut ties with Chicago and has bought tickets to the hyper bowl.

That said, I consider trading a Will for the right player/pick.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I wonder if some of this is due to Roquan not having an agent?

Whatever it is, it sucks. No idea what they could actually get in trade for him at this point.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's under contract. I get wanting an extension in a contract year but he's never even played the position he's assuming. I can see both sides of this. He want FA money and I don't blame him but the Bear can get a FA for that next year as well. Security works both ways. Want it early at a position that you haven't shown in, make a bit of a compromise.

This is trying to get fans to pressure Poles to pay. Everything I've seen about this regime is that this tact will bare no fruit other than maybe Poles calling his bluff.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Regardless of who you believe is right or wrong, Bears probably arent going to get a return for Roquan worthy of his level of play. Not sure too many teams want to spend a bunch of a draft capital for the chance to pay a top 5 off ball LB top 1 money. Maybe ATL. Bears do have more leverage because of the threat of franchise tag though.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
In order to be worth that kind of money at that position you have to be at minimum a fringey Hall of Fame type talent. Roquan Smith might actually be that, but he hasn't been so far. He's been very good, but not great.

He has held out once and held in a second time. Whatever the Bears sign him to would almost certainly invite another situation like this two or three years down the road (should he play up to the value of the contract). It's just not worth it. Not for the on-field stuff, not for the leadership, not in the big picture cap outlook.

Just to put this in practical terms. If Jaylon Johnson breaks out in a big way this money can go straight to him. A younger player at a premium position. Its a no-brainer when you think of it in those terms.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Regardless of who you believe is right or wrong, Bears probably arent going to get a return for Roquan worthy of his level of play. Not sure too many teams want to spend a bunch of a draft capital for the chance to pay a top 5 off ball LB top 1 money. Maybe ATL. Bears do have more leverage because of the threat of franchise tag though.
My expectations are a third round pick all things considered. If two or more teams start competing a second isn't out of the quesiton. Nothing is impossible, but a first seems like a pipe dream.