Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Rick Hahn reportedly isn't happy about this hire.
Especially if he had others in mind. I would be highly pissed myself. I am all for having Tony in the organization but not the skipper

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Managers almost never last ten years anyways. Even guys who win like Tito or Maddon get thrown out on their ass eventually.
Bruce Bochy did 12 years twice, how about Mike Scioscia? 19 years. Why wouldn’t you want a coach that could be there for 8, 10, 12 years? You are saying you expect to be looking for a new manager in a few years?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Bruce Bochy did 12 years twice, how about Mike Scioscia? 19 years. Why wouldn’t you want a coach that could be there for 8, 10, 12 years? You are saying you expect to be looking for a new manager in a few years?
That's not really the norm anymore even for good teams. So yes, my point was that we should be expecting to look for a new manager is at most probably five or so years. This obviously isn't a long-term hire (but that's fine).

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
That's not really the norm anymore even for good teams. So yes, my point was that we should be expecting to look for a new manager is at most probably five or so years. This obviously isn't a long-term hire (but that's fine).

why not though. ?
if you can hire a manager that will be good enough to manager for ten years you should absolutely do it. I wouldn’t think when searching for a manager your first prerequisite is that he is only available for 5 years. Even Tony at 81 isn’t practical to me.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
LaRussa called for a pitcher to come in for relief last time he managed...problem was he hadn't told anyone to warm up...that was a decade ago...you think he's gotten mentally sharper since then? More in tune with technology and analytics? JFC, he's old enough to not just be most of his player's dads, but their granddads.

Or President

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Damn near everyone was on gear in that era. Acting like those Cardinals teams were somehow unique in that regard is some serious revisionist history.

Nobody gives a shit about his politics. It doesn't matter. He was brought in because the lineups were nonsensical and the bullpen decisions made no sense. You think Tony LaRussa is gonna throw a rookie with two career big league innings into a bases loaded situation in an elimination playoff game? You think Eloy Jimenez is going to leave that game with a sore foot after LaRussa establishes a new order in that clubhouse?

The guy will learn his players and figure out exactly how to use them. His eye for detail and strategy is among the best ever for an MLB manager and he has the track record to prove it. You dont like him because he's an old white guy? Tough shit, the point of this whole exercise is to win games not find a hood ornament you find inoffensive. They tried that with Ricky and it was an utter failure.

A’s, not Cards

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Reading too much into this because of his past history. TLR isn't the right call for a team with young stars that want to #ChangeTheGame. I just don't see how anyone can defend the signing.

The game doesn't need to be changed.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I never liked the guy. But like and respect are not the same thing. As a Cubs fan I hated him as a Cards manager. But that was related to them kicking ass. Back in the 80's he got a Cubs starter and made him his closer. Made that person a household name.

You are not required to like him.

Tony wins games. That is what I know about the guy. The Sox's really don't need a feel good hire right now. They need a guy that knows how to gain rings.

The fact that he decided to go back on the field to me was a bit shocking. He has nothing to prove going back.

All I have to say on this. Let the season roll out and the results dictate the quality of the hire.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Found a post from good old Brett05 on this over at Soxtalk. Couldn't be anymore on brand:

Such a great call to hire Tony. I was against it until I heard Dan Evans speak about this potential move. He was one of the first to use analytics. He's going to be great for the team. I am all aboard on this move.

And then this:

I really thought our fan base was much more knowledgeable than they are showing in this thread.

Dude is just a fucking bag of hammers.
The Hawk is there as well.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I want to know where bat-flipping got the White Sox and Padres this off-season. Sure seems like none of the flashy, sexy teams ever win it in MLB.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
People are already telling The Cawk to gtfo over on Soxtalk.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everyone r-e-l-a-x.

This isn't a 5 year hire. This is a 1 or 2 year experiment, and if you don't think Tony La Russa can help a group of young baseball players for 12-24 months with life and baseball...what are we even talking about?

How is this worse than Dusty Baker?

Its the American league, its like a picnic for Tony. He just has to manage the pitching staff. I think thats a pretty good pairing for a club that showed they have the potential to be the best offense in baseball, or top 5 solidly.

Few other hires know what it actually takes to win it all, and how to pull a pitching staff through these series, it has never been more difficult.

It would be real smart to hire a protege into the clubhouse, imo. This has a brief expiration date. Go out and find that analytics guy and build him an office next door to Tony's, instruct to observe and learn for 1 year or 2. Sharpen each other. Pick that man's brain for all it has, and move on as soon as he gets lost wandering in the hotel lobby.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everyone r-e-l-a-x.

This isn't a 5 year hire. This is a 1 or 2 year experiment, and if you don't think Tony La Russa can help a group of young baseball players for 12-24 months with life and baseball...what are we even talking about?

How is this worse than Dusty Baker?

Its the American league, its like a picnic for Tony. He just has to manage the pitching staff. I think thats a pretty good pairing for a club that showed they have the potential to be the best offense in baseball, or top 5 solidly.

Few other hires know what it actually takes to win it all, and how to pull a pitching staff through these series, it has never been more difficult.

It would be real smart to hire a protege into the clubhouse, imo. This has a brief expiration date. Go out and find that analytics guy and build him an office next door to Tony's, instruct to observe and learn for 1 year or 2. Sharpen each other. Pick that man's brain for all it has, and move on as soon as he gets lost wandering in the hotel lobby.

Yeah ive had time to calm down and feel better about it. We’ll see what happens

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Detroit hires Hinch, who the Sox didn't even bother to interview. Meanwhile, the Sox have a guy who is as likely to piss his depends or have a grabber on the bench as manage the team to a pennant.