Breer: Bears to stick with Fields, trade #1 pick

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That narrative likely came from the Bears this time, to drive up the price of the #1 overall pick.

Now that the Texans and Colts have expressed intent, the Bears likely are happy with the market for the overall #1 to the point where they don't feel the need to keep it going.

Its nothing but good news, as annoying as all that shit was.
gosh u dum lol

Payton_34

Seattle Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
How does bears being interested in a qb drive the price up? Bears are in full control of that pick but other teams know whether they are trying to trade it or not. The price gouging will depend on how many teams are trying to move up. Brady retiring helps out.

First, you need to understand leverage. Yes the Bears are in control of the #1 pick however, the market determines what that pick is worth. The more teams interested in a top QB (including the Bears) the more valuable that pick is. Also, events like Brady's retirement could have an impact. Now the Bucs are in the market as are any teams who may have considered acquiring Brady for 2023.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
Well God damn!!! He must have a helluva source to break this story.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
That narrative likely came from the Bears this time, to drive up the price of the #1 overall pick.

Now that the Texans and Colts have expressed intent, the Bears likely are happy with the market for the overall #1 to the point where they don't feel the need to keep it going.

Its nothing but good news, as annoying as all that shit was.
Yes it was to drive interest in going up for the # 1 pick only, Brady retiring helps as well with a lot of QB needy teams, if Rodgers retires as well the vet QB pool is.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
First, you need to understand leverage. Yes the Bears are in control of the #1 pick however, the market determines what that pick is worth. The more teams interested in a top QB (including the Bears) the more valuable that pick is. Also, events like Brady's retirement could have an impact. Now the Bucs are in the market as are any teams who may have considered acquiring Brady for 2023.
I think, though, the Bears wouldn't create any additional leverage by floating it, because there's really no chance that the Bears would have Fields and a #1 pick QB on the roster together. To draft a QB, they pretty much have to trade Fields first. So there is no real leverage imo.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yes it was to drive interest in going up for the # 1 pick only, Brady retiring helps as well with a lot of QB needy teams, if Rodgers retires as well the vet QB pool is.
No it wasn't.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Bears found out Fields trade value is lower than the value of the number 1 overall pick.

That should tell you something about how the league views him.
Chapter 4...page 3...right?

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Wouldn't the Bears FO want the "idea" floating around that they might be interested in taking a QB at the #1 spot and all options are on the table, even though behind closed doors, they're set with Fields? I understand it's a difficult smokescreen to pull off but any tool to increase the price of trading for the 1st pick needs needs to be explored.
Bears could tell the league we're staying at 1 and still drive the price up. Play a game of their own and not answer the phones until the draft and tell em' to make it sweet or GF and take their qb for ransom.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wouldn't the Bears FO want the "idea" floating around that they might be interested in taking a QB at the #1 spot and all options are on the table, even though behind closed doors, they're set with Fields? I understand it's a difficult smokescreen to pull off but any tool to increase the price of trading for the 1st pick needs needs to be explored.
You make it perfectly clear to the entire league that you are open for business, the more offers the better. If a team sitting at #1 has identified their future franchise QB, another team is simply not going to change their mind by adding an extra pick.

So even just listening to offers tells other teams you are not going QB. You might as well advertise it to raise the market.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
We'll know the Bears see Justin Fields as the franchise QB when they pick up his 5th year option, not until then.
I disagree. They’ll make a move to add a QB next offseason if Justin doesn’t progress in the passing game

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I disagree. They’ll make a move to add a QB next offseason if Justin doesn’t progress in the passing game
if they're going to pick up his option, the deadline is just after the draft this coming May. Which they most certainly will, because it's cheaper than the alternative if he stays, they'd be looking at the Franchise tag or massive contract extension at the end of year 4.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
if they're going to pick up his option, the deadline is just after the draft this coming May.
After free agency and the trade market when most of the trades are done.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
if they're going to pick up his option, the deadline is just after the draft this coming May.
Are we talking about Justin? The deadline for the 5th year option would be after next year (his 3rd season) right?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I doubt any other GM would believe it so a wasted effort.