Briggs

Ra's al Ghul

Stuck in the Lazarus Pit
Liked Posts:
http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/lance-briggs-tired-losing-bears-brothers

Tired of losing Bears 'brothers'

Linebacker Lance Briggs went through much of the past decade surrounded by a cast of friends that had some changes, but not really that many of his closest. Hunter Hillenmeyer, Nathan Vasher, Mike Brown, Tommie Harris. Injuries and declining play were the usual causes.

But in the past 12 months, the cuts have been far deeper. Brian Urlacher. Devin Hester. Julius Peppers. Almost Charles Tillman. And business or not, it has hurt.

“At this point, I’m losing a brother every year, one or two brothers every year,” Tillman said this week on NFL Network’s “NFL AM.” “But this is where it is.”

Briggs also knows that a year from now, the list is likely to grow by one, possibly two: “It’s great that I don’t have to make that type of decision because I would never let them go,” Briggs said. “I know that my day is going to come just like everybody else’s.”

What he hopes will delay that day or at least help him keep his level of play as high as it can be will be wearing a harness for the fractured shoulder that cost him. He used a double version of it when he returned for the last couple games of last season.

“For the last two games when I decided to come back and play, I told them to double-harness me down,” Briggs said. “I don’t want any movement at all because I was worried that any slight fall or hit the wrong way that it would damage it.”Briggs’ injury during the Washington game accelerated the death spiral the defense underwent last season. Now he is intent on being back, a course he expects for the entire defense.

“For one, key word, we need to be healthy,” Briggs said. “We need Charles Tillman to be healthy, Jeremiah Ratliff to be healthy. All the pieces that we have, we’re bringing in new guys as far as Lamarr Houston, Ryan Mundy — these are new pieces that we’re going to have to have that are going to have to be effective.

“One thing I’ve always learned about our defense that Lovie [Smith] taught me, it’s not the defense — it’s the people that are within the defense. Player-wise, we weren’t effective last year; we didn’t get things done. When we were in position to make plays, we didn’t make the plays and we were very undisciplined. So for us, we have to get back to what works.”

sam slocum

Liked Posts:
Yeah, it has to be tough to lose guys you've been succesful playing with for the last decade. But, he and we have seen this purge of sorts coming, just not necessarily like it has happened. Sucks, but the overall makeup of the team wasn't championship caliber, and for that I feel sorry for the defense under Lovie.

Liked Posts:
I do think there's a bigger need for another LB in the early-mid rounds than some posters may believe. People are going to be shell shocked when Briggs is gone next season even if Green works out as a WILL LB, & Bostic as a SAM LB. I do think one of Skov or Christian Jones in the mid rounds, to start developing now, would be a very wise pick.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Emery's job right now is to make a new "band of brothers". Find that new Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman, Vasher, Tommie Harris, Mike Brown, and Ogunleye. Get some stud defenders early on and let them play some smashmouth football together for the next decade.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I do think there's a bigger need for another LB in the early-mid rounds than some posters may believe. People are going to be shell shocked when Briggs is gone next season even if Green works out as a WILL LB, & Bostic as a SAM LB. I do think one of Skov or Christian Jones in the mid rounds, to start developing now, would be a very wise pick.
Skov won't make it to the mid rounds but Jones might. Either way i'm down with grabbing one of the two or even Borland cause DJ is our only true MLB on the roster and he gets injured all the time.

MacBear

Liked Posts:
Emery's job right now is to make a new "band of brothers". Find that new Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman, Vasher, Tommie Harris, Mike Brown, and Ogunleye. Get some stud defenders early on and let them play some smashmouth football together for the next decade.
he seems to have done just that with the offense, starting with the marshall trade. whether he can replicate that with the D is another matter.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I can't see justification for drafting Christian Jones he primarily played defensive end for the Noles. If he's coming here to learn to play linebacker in a 4-3 he's going to have a HUGE learning curve. I don't want a player like that no matter how good of an athlete they are. We can't afford to wait three plus years for a guy who might turn out to be a good player.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its an end of an era and its pretty sad.

Liked Posts:
Skov won't make it to the mid rounds but Jones might. Either way i'm down with grabbing one of the two or even Borland cause DJ is our only true MLB on the roster and he gets injured all the time.

Most places I've looked have Skov listed as a round 3/4 prospect, but I can see him being picked in the top of the third, possibly low second. I would like either LB & in some cases I'd actually prefer Christian Jones because he has proven his worth as a zone coverage MIKE LB in the past, where I do think Skov would be more of a WILL LB in the Bears defense. I think Jones has the edge in the athleticism, speed & coverage dept. Where I think Skov is a bruiser, intelligent, takes great angles to the ball carrier damn near every play, good tackler/run stuffer/downhill LB, isn't fast but makes up for it with instincts to get where he needs to go in zone coverage, again takes good angles, & is the type of LB & personality that could lead a clubhouse. To me Skov or Jones would give the Bears a lot of bang for their buck. I'd be happy with either one.

Liked Posts:
I can't see justification for drafting Christian Jones he primarily played defensive end for the Noles. If he's coming here to learn to play linebacker in a 4-3 he's going to have a HUGE learning curve. I don't want a player like that no matter how good of an athlete they are. We can't afford to wait three plus years for a guy who might turn out to be a good player.

That was only last season that F. State tried the experiment to primarily use him off the edge, because they had done it with him from time to time in the pas,t & it turned out to be a bad move at least for Jones. Years prior he had played all three LB positions & was an excellent coverage LB, including the MIKE LB position. Jones would be a very good pick in the mid rounds to groom as a starter in 2015.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Most places I've looked have Skov listed as a round 3/4 prospect, but I can see him being picked in the top of the third, possibly low second. I would like either LB i& in some cases I'd actually prefer Chiristian Jones because he has proven his worth as a zone coverage MIKE LB in the past, where I do think Skov would be more of a WILL LB in the Bears defense. I think Jones has the edge in the athleticism, speed & coverage dept. Where I think Skov is a bruiser, intelligent, takes great angles to the ball carrier damn near every play, good tackler/run stuffer/downhill LB, isn't fast but makes up for it with instints, & again googd angles to get where he needs to go in zone coverage, & is the type of LB & personality that could lead a clubhouse. To me Skov would give the Bears a lot of bang for their buck. I'd be happy with either one.
Yeah as long as we get a MLB somewhere in this draft then i'll be happy cause i definitely don't trust DJ to stay healthy and he really wasn't all that great in the games he was healthy for us.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah as long as we get a MLB somewhere in this draft then i'll be happy cause i definitely don't trust DJ to stay healthy and he really wasn't all that great in the games he was healthy for us.

This is correct. Along with multiple DUIs and failing a drug test. No way to know if this is now a thing of the past.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
I am getting so sick of Briggs bitching about losing his "friends" and Lovie Smith and all that bullshit. He needs to start acting like a true damn professional. Hell he even admitted that he came back over-weight last year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
This is correct. Along with multiple DUIs and failing a drug test. No way to know if this is now a thing of the past.
Exactly and we all saw what Bostic did at MLB so we need to draft a MLB somewhere in this draft.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
So you're saying out of the last 20 years, you have only had one pleasurable season? Personally, I take great joy on a game to game basis. And the outgoing Bears D gave us a lot of incredible games.

I believe he was hinting at the fact that CHI should have won the big one with that era of great defensive players we had at some point.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is it me or is Briggs not quoted as saying anything like the title in the article?

I tweeted Moon about it when he posted it this morning.