1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Browns sign Myles Garrett to 5-year, $125 million extension
Associated Press

4-6 minutes

Browns sign Myles Garrett to 5-year, $125 million extension
CLEVELAND — Myles Garrett’s on-field misbehavior last season damaged his public image. It didn’t change how the Cleveland Browns feel about him.
The team signed Garrett to a five-year, $125 million contract extension on Wednesday, making the talented edge rusher the NFL’s highest-paid defensive player. The deal includes $100 million guaranteed, according to NFL Network.
The timing of Garrett’s extension is surprising since the last time he played in a game it ended with him ripping off Pittsburgh quarterback Mason Rudolph’s helmet and striking him in the head with it. The shocking attack led to a six-game suspension for Garrett and questions about his character.
But despite a league ban that effectively ended Cleveland’s playoff hopes, the Browns have never wavered in their belief in Garrett as a person or player. They wanted to make certain they’ll have the 24-year-old for multiple years, and he will now anchor their defense through the 2026 season.
“It would be remiss of me not to address the fact that we are choosing to do this after a season during which Myles was suspended,” said Browns first-year general manager Andrew Berry.
“Myles has been accountable for his mistake and we view the incident as well out of character. We don’t believe one moment should define him based on how he has handled himself prior to and in the months after last year’s incident.
“We are excited to ensure that Myles will stay in Cleveland for the foreseeable future.”
Garrett posted a video on Instagram of him signing the deal and then writing a note he pushed in front of the camera that said: “Cleveland keep betting on me. World keep betting against us.”
Garrett’s agent, Bus Cook, and the Browns had been working on the record-setting package for months, and they finalized it amid uncertainty about the opening of training camp later this month and whether there will be a 2020 season because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Garrett was under contract through 2021 after the Browns exercised the fifth-year option on his rookie deal in April. He’ll make $4.6 million in 2020 and $15.18 million next season before the extension kicks in.
The No. 1 overall draft pick in 2017, Garrett is one of the league’s most feared defenders, a combination of power and speed. His average salary eclipses the $23.5 million per season the Chicago Bears are giving star edge rusher Khalil Mack, who signed in 2018.
Garrett has freakish physical skills. At 6-foot-4, 280 pounds, he’s a devastating mix of power and speed, and his ability to turn the corner and get to the quarterback or harass him has forced teams to sometimes devote two and three blockers to try and slow Garrett down.
“It’s really important for us as an organization to cement Myles’ status here for a really long time,” said coach Kevin Stefanski.
“Myles’ skill set is still scratching the surface. He’s young, and I can’t wait to get our hands on him and put him in this scheme and let him loose. He’s as disruptive as they come. He’s big, long, fast, quick and has a motor. He checks all the boxes.”
Garrett has 30 1/2 sacks in 37 games since the Browns selected Garrett from Texas A&M three years ago. Garrett had 10 sacks in 10 games last season before the infamous incident with Rudolph, who tangled with the defensive end in the closing seconds of Cleveland’s 21-7 win over the rival Steelers on Nov. 14.
Garrett claimed he attacked Rudolph because the QB uttered a racial slur toward him. Rudolph has denied saying anything derogatory to antagonize Garrett. He was reinstated in February after a hearing with arbitrators and meeting in New York with Commissioner Roger Goodell.
His suspension behind him, Garrett wants to reward the Browns for their loyalty.
“In 2017, the Cleveland Browns bet on me,” he said. “This city quickly became my home and these people quickly became my family. I’m eternally grateful for this opportunity, the support of my friends and family, the organization, my teammates, the fans. I could go on forever, but even that wouldn’t be enough time to express my gratitude.
“I’ll just say this: Keep betting on me, Cleveland, because I won’t let you down. Now, let’s get to work.”
Garrett’s extension was completed a week after the Browns restructured end Olivier Vernon’s contract. Vernon was due to make $15.25 million in 2020 before agreeing to a deal for $11 million guaranteed.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see where in that long article he signed with the Bears.

I kid...

Hopefully, he's learned from his mistake and moves in the right direction. He's only 24.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Myles is gonna imploded one day soon...and everyone knows it. Dude snapped off on live tv, nearly commited murder on the field with a helmet as a weapon. OVERREACTION disorder and that's not one bit of any good, at all. You will never see guys like Bosa or Mack doing shit like that.

elbandido

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That's a lot of money for a guy who's gonna go all Billy Cole from the Last Boy Scout one day.

The way things are going, the NFL will put the salary cap at 300M very soon...

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
2 winning seasons in the last twenty years will compromise quite a bit of franchise ethics..

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For some reason I feel like he's not nearly the shithead some others are & have been. Dude completely lost his mind with that apparent racist comment, but no off-field issues that we know of. Something about punching a bully in the mouth is admirable. I guess I believe him for some reason. Why the hell else would he have gone so g-damn crazy and done that!?? I expect he plays like a man possessed and does some serious damage now. 100% just my opinion.

Hope CLE has some outs in case the opposite ends up being true! $100 mil, damn.

FWIW, I don't care if CLE blows too much salary on one guy. I really do feel bad for their fans, and DET fans though (and Stafford TBH). No so bad I want DET winning again. They can't deal with it well as we've seen in their rare blue moon seasons of success.

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Myles is gonna imploded one day soon...and everyone knows it. Dude snapped off on live tv, nearly commited murder on the field with a helmet as a weapon. OVERREACTION disorder and that's not one bit of any good, at all. You will never see guys like Bosa or Mack doing shit like that.
But da fire and da passion?

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
Calm down. Rudolph needed to get domed

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know he's good, but that good? I don't know...

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I know he's good, but that good? I don't know...
He may be that good one day, maybe even one day soon. But he definitely is not there right now. Is $100M the highest guaranteed amount in the NFL currently?

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
yeah but now he can afford like 2300 50K fines!

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:

What’s his name should have kept his racist comments to himself. Well deserved for Myles.