Bryant loses grievance

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure Theo is gonna give him one more shot at an extension. With his injury history lately and not technically being in a free agent year, its worth a shot.
I thought more of not finishing the Javy extension or giving Tony one was hoping Bryant will still accept the deal. Nothing about trading him for more now that the other team needs to give up more for 2 years, he is still going to cost them 24 next year.
But then again, if Theo chooses he wants to start building again, maybe they are all gone.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure that most trade talks have been had and 1 or 2 years of control senerios were addressed. If it is going to happen the hatchet will fall soon.

I see the Braves as a main suitor.

So this should heat up very fast.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
If you trade Bryant, might as well blow this thing up.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
There is no reason to offer an extension and waste time. Bryant is gone in 2 years. Trade him. Value is highest now.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
ahahahahahahahahahahahah.

His agent is such a fuck filling his head with bitterness when its the norm. What a joke.

Maybe he realizes and gets over it. Take the 200,000,000 before the season and get over yourself. Philly can't afford you by then and they won't win shit together.

Although, he might want to get out of town when Rizzo declines.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If it was my decision I'm trading to the largest return.

Then I would make a 2 way fight for 3B between Happ and Bote. If Happ wins then I'm pushing Heyward to CF and Souza to RF. They have Almora and Bote for change ups and late game switches.

At the end of the day they are not going pay him so they need to sell.

Now if Happ can develop into a decent 3B and with Davis pending in 2 years it really makes sense to lock up Baez and Schwarber then.

I really believe that this should be a retool process that opens up a new door. But they really need some arms with upside now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure Theo is gonna give him one more shot at an extension. With his injury history lately and not technically being in a free agent year, its worth a shot.
I thought more of not finishing the Javy extension or giving Tony one was hoping Bryant will still accept the deal. Nothing about trading him for more now that the other team needs to give up more for 2 years, he is still going to cost them 24 next year.
But then again, if Theo chooses he wants to start building again, maybe they are all gone.

Ya when Boras says sure. 300 mil. How do you think that will go over?

I believe that he is 25 AAV age wise at the deal makes it a 8 year offer. 200 mil is a fair market value. But with Boras he will over shoot that to 30 AAV and try to get 10 years out of a chump team owner.

Bryant is a nice kid. But he lacks the Chramatic appeal that a player like Baez brings. That is why you invest into Baez. He is already the face of the team and has become a icon in baseball.

End of the day it is more about marketing vs numbers. Baez gives the Cubs head lines. Bryant is more of a behind the scenes guy with a pending over payment.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Ya when Boras says sure. 300 mil. How do you think that will go over?

I believe that he is 25 AAV age wise at the deal makes it a 8 year offer. 200 mil is a fair market value. But with Boras he will over shoot that to 30 AAV and try to get 10 years out of a chump team owner.

Bryant is a nice kid. But he lacks the Chramatic appeal that a player like Baez brings. That is why you invest into Baez. He is already the face of the team and has become a icon in baseball.

End of the day it is more about marketing vs numbers. Baez gives the Cubs head lines. Bryant is more of a behind the scenes guy with a pending over payment.
I already think 25 is his last arby number regardless of what he does this year, which is why this whole grievance was a moot point. I am pretty sure Harper is going to feel underpaid his last 3 years and if he is worried about Rizzo declining then he needs to add an opt out.

The other thing, you get KB extended, where his number stays at 18 this year, 25 next year, you can probably start Nico day 1 stating the slate of games he got in september. I dont know who's call nico at center the last game was, did not seem like Joe paid much attention to what anyone else wanted at that point, but that was after he said he did not want to come back.

If KB has a deal, no reason not to start Nico, if he does not, then no way Nico starts the season here unless there is no chance, and if its no chance, he is probably gone.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If you trade Bryant, might as well blow this thing up.
Not sure I agree with this. If you're saying blow it up for 2020 then yeah probably. But there's a difference between blowing it up and going multiple year rebuild and blowing it up for 1-2 years cutting dead weight salary as you can. In particular, it's interesting that reports have come out about Arenado loving the idea of playing for the cubs. Admittedly it's a tough needle to thread but there's a scenario where the cubs get a haul for Bryant in prospects and pay less back to get Arenado because at this point Arenado is in a Stanton situation. He can dictate where he goes and they already have frayed the relationship with him.

Biggest issue there is the grievance is so late in the offseason that pulling all the pieces together is going to be tough. But I think you could semi-realistically get like several big moves done and go into 2020 with holes. Just as an example here, let's say they do trade bryant for idk like Waters and pitching from the braves and then subsequently package heyward with other bits to Colorado for Arenado. You might very well go into 2020 with a giant hole in the outfield both at CF and RF just because they don't have the parts left anymore to sign. However, Waters will likely be ready by midseason if you're lucky and almost certainly 2021 if you're not and you will have moved around the parts to be closer to say the 2015 cubs than the 2016 cubs where if shit falls right you add guys at the deadline.

kerrywoodwins20

Harvey Weinstein's Biggest Fan
Liked Posts:
Whether you want Bryant traded or not, just remember that the only reason we might have to is because Theo destroyed this team’s window slowly but surely since 2016.

What a disaster. Guy shoulda been a Cub his whole career if Theo manages the money better.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I already think 25 is his last arby number regardless of what he does this year, which is why this whole grievance was a moot point. I am pretty sure Harper is going to feel underpaid his last 3 years and if he is worried about Rizzo declining then he needs to add an opt out.

The other thing, you get KB extended, where his number stays at 18 this year, 25 next year, you can probably start Nico day 1 stating the slate of games he got in september. I dont know who's call nico at center the last game was, did not seem like Joe paid much attention to what anyone else wanted at that point, but that was after he said he did not want to come back.

If KB has a deal, no reason not to start Nico, if he does not, then no way Nico starts the season here unless there is no chance, and if its no chance, he is probably gone.

Grevance was a moot point....

Real talk. This is about age. Bryant would be a year younger when he hit FA.

He turns 30 1/4/2022.

So 29 vs 30. That is a big deal when teams negotiate.

So the motivation was greed.

IMO this is what it has been about. The Cubs had to deal with 2 injuries which left 3B open. That is it. Bryant ran with it. If he struggled he would have been demoted. That has been the status que.

So this is about a dick head agent looking for another pay day. Nothing more or less.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Not sure I agree with this. If you're saying blow it up for 2020 then yeah probably. But there's a difference between blowing it up and going multiple year rebuild and blowing it up for 1-2 years cutting dead weight salary as you can. In particular, it's interesting that reports have come out about Arenado loving the idea of playing for the cubs. Admittedly it's a tough needle to thread but there's a scenario where the cubs get a haul for Bryant in prospects and pay less back to get Arenado because at this point Arenado is in a Stanton situation. He can dictate where he goes and they already have frayed the relationship with him.

Biggest issue there is the grievance is so late in the offseason that pulling all the pieces together is going to be tough. But I think you could semi-realistically get like several big moves done and go into 2020 with holes. Just as an example here, let's say they do trade bryant for idk like Waters and pitching from the braves and then subsequently package heyward with other bits to Colorado for Arenado. You might very well go into 2020 with a giant hole in the outfield both at CF and RF just because they don't have the parts left anymore to sign. However, Waters will likely be ready by midseason if you're lucky and almost certainly 2021 if you're not and you will have moved around the parts to be closer to say the 2015 cubs than the 2016 cubs where if shit falls right you add guys at the deadline.

PUIG for right field!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is available, reasonable and licks bats in the locker room.

If Heyward goes away I could deal with Puig. Hell, we had our Puig in Soler, second chance.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Grevance was a moot point....

Real talk. This is about age. Bryant would be a year younger when he hit FA.

He turns 30 1/4/2022.

So 29 vs 30. That is a big deal when teams negotiate.

So the motivation was greed.

IMO this is what it has been about. The Cubs had to deal with 2 injuries which left 3B open. That is it. Bryant ran with it. If he struggled he would have been demoted. That has been the status que.

So this is about a dick head agent looking for another pay day. Nothing more or less.

I cant agree if he is eyeing the Harper number and his last three years are at 10 million per. You would think one year deals touring other towns would pay more than that.

Cant disagree about boreass. I think if KB announced he was leaving Boreass, the contract would be done the next hour.
The bad part is do we ride this same shit with Rizzo,. Javy, Schwarber, Contrares?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
PUIG for right field!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is available, reasonable and licks bats in the locker room.

If Heyward goes away I could deal with Puig. Hell, we had our Puig in Soler, second chance.
Locker room cancer

kerrywoodwins20

Harvey Weinstein's Biggest Fan
Liked Posts:

Don’t make Ross have to deal with Puig. He already has to deal with a shit roster.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Signing Puig is funny. Zambrano duex.

I feel that 2020 is a lost cause going in.

1. Signed a no experience manager.
2. Not willing to go over tax.
3. Lacks a deep farm system.
4. Best farm players are 2-3 years out.

At the end of the day we are just going through 1 window closing and another one opening. Signing David should have signaled that they are playing for a new window vs 2020. They sold the farm to keep Joe's teams competitive. That is over now. The goal is getting payroll manageable again and adding talent.

The NYY did this also. They sold and reloaded the farm fast. Now they are a force again with a manageable playroll.

This is not inventing the wheel. This is just business.