Bryce Young Thread

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I thought maybe I would come in here and see some actual analysis as to why Bryce Young is a better NFL prospect than Fields. Nope - just the normal people blaming the entire season on the only Bears player that made it worth watching.
In my opinion, he's not. To his credit, his physical traits are his biggest drawbacks(5'10 under 200 lbs[he's listed as 6'0", but allegedly he's closer to 5'10", just like Kyler Murray isn't 5'10"]). If he can bulk up a bit, and his strengths are able to completely overcome his size and not make it matter, he could be a really good QB. Basically his size and his arm strength aren't ideal for a NFL QB. He seems to have everything else. But how do those weaknesses carry over to the NFL? There's a reason why QBs are usually over 6' tall.

I'm pretty sure some teams will covet him as a sure thing, but I don't think he's a better prospect than Fields. Maybe if they both came out at the same time, it would be a toss up. But with 2 years in the league, and watching Fields improve, it looks like Fields' biggest weakness is the lack of talent around him.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
Jim McMahon weighed 195lbs when he got drafted and is 6’1”.

Bryce Young 6’0” and 194lbs.

Now can you imagine them going through the beat that Fields went through this year? I don’t think they make it back to finish out the season. 32 pound difference is 32 pounds. Definitely helps. McMahon was a tough sob though.
Fields does not take half of those beatings if he processed the game faster. He holds onto the ball far too long. Half of those beatings were just terrible line play.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Question.....so if JF could "fetch a good haul", why let him go? Isn't "a bird in the hand worth two in the bush" ?

Well for the record I'm in favor of keeping Fields, what I want is to trade down get a ton of picks a bunch in 2024 draft as well. Load up on talent in FA so he has proven weapons and see how he does in year 3, If he is still struggling in the passing department then at lest we have extra pics in 2024 to move up and try again. If fields improves in year 3 and plays like we all hope then you use those extra pics in 2024 to go BPA.

But what I want is irrelevant, if Poles does not value Fields and some other GM does offers a ton then I'm sure Poles will trade him

True we don't know what Poles wants to do. But I'm not gonna be happy with starting all over at Qb

With that said.......
I hear everything you're saying. For sure, a second go around with the same coaching staff would be great along with
better surrounding talent. Sure if we have a problem at the Qb position, then lets bring in competition. I've always been for competition when under performance takes place at any position.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Speaking of which, do we go with peterman for our backup again or draft a new QB or sign a new one with nfl experience?
I like Dorian Thompson from UCLA. I think he would be an ideal backup to Justin Fields.

Umm interesting. ? I'd have no problem with him as a back-up. He seems to have that JF improvisational skill set

1673319070223.png

1673319115255.png

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think Young is a better prospect than Fields for the following reasons out of college.

1. Pocket Presence and mobility: Young is elite in his ability to buy time and move in the pocket. It's similar in a way to Mahomes. No one will question that Fields is a better pure runner than both Mahomes and Young, but Mahomes has a gift to know where he can move and how to navigate the pocket yet keep his eyes downfield. Something Fields does at times, but is not consistent in.

2.Clutch Ability: Even though Fields has had an underwhelming supporting cast, he has also has to take responsibility for failing to execute in vital situations. We were 1-7 in one score games. Some of those times Fields had the ball with the opportunity to make something happen but fell short. I argue that Young is elite at making plays when his team needed him too most. Don't just watch the highlight tape. Watch a game. When the pressure is on, his team is in critical 3rd/4th down situations, he finds a way to convert.

That's not to say I'm not a fan of Fields as I also. see alot of upside on him. I just also think Bryce excels at aspects of the game I'm not sure Fields will overcome. I simply haben't seen enough, tnoughI'd be very happy with moving forward with Fields.
Lol. This is a lot of gibberish. Signed, a pseudo-Alabama fan that has watched every Alabama game the last 10years. Young makes a lot of plays the same way Justin does. He doesn’t process quite as well as you make him out to. And no, he’s not the most decorated Bama QB. He didn’t win shit at Alabama compared to Tua or Jones. Young doesn’t always throw to the open receiver. Tends to dance around in the pocket when he doesn’t need to. You are over-exaggerating his NFL readiness.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
A far from prototypical NFL body is also a concern. Tua had similar concerns and he has never played a full NFL season.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Young does have better throwing footwork than Fields more often than not and releases the ball quickly. And to me a faster reaction at things passing or running it. I’d still stick with Fields if it was me.

Cabbage King

Liked Posts:
Posted in another thread, but Laurence Holmes says Bryce Young is the next Drew Brees. He also said he would still take Fields over Bryce Young, even if he became Drew Brees (lol). All the other hosts disagreed, and said you take Bryce Young if you think he is the next Drew Brees.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Posted in another thread, but Laurence Holmes says Bryce Young is the next Drew Brees. He also said he would still take Fields over Bryce Young, even if he became Drew Brees (lol). All the other hosts disagreed, and said you take Bryce Young if you think he is the next Drew Brees.
Cool story. Why should anyone care what Holmes thinks?

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Fields does not take half of those beatings if he processed the game faster. He holds onto the ball far too long. Half of those beatings were just terrible line play.
You have no idea the percentages one way or another. You're literally making things up.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Fields is no longer a prospect. He can produce at the NFL level. Its unknown if Young can do that.

Fields plus a load of draft capital seems like the obvious choice.
Disagree, its still unknown if Fields can produce in the passing department so you have an unknown in both cases, draft a QB might be a huge wasted opportunity with trading that pic, But not drafting a QB is also a wasted opportunity if Fields never develops into a true passer, Fields lack of actual passing ability this year makes this a much harder decision for Poles then some would think..

Liked Posts:
Disagree, its still unknown if Fields can produce in the passing department so you have an unknown in both cases, draft a QB might be a huge wasted opportunity with trading that pic, But not drafting a QB is also a wasted opportunity if Fields never develops into a true passer, Fields lack of actual passing ability this year makes this a much harder decision for Poles then some would think..
Nah, it's a real easy decision, Poles said as much.

Fields has too much potential to waste the #1 pick on another QB simply b/c of the risk that exists if he might not turn out to be a great passer.

That risk has to be accepted and is perfectly acceptable at that.

Now The risk of them f'ng up TWO QBs in the event they draft Young, ruin Fields' confidence, Young doesn't pan out......yeah Poles isn't taking that risk.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
We can debate Fields vs Young all day as prospects/players. I think they clearly have their comparative strengths/weaknesses.

But perhaps the biggest point in the favor of Young is simply how building around him would work compared to building around Fields has worked so far.

With Fields we are entering year 3, we haven't had a 1st rounder (other than Fields) in 4-years. We've invested no money whatsoever in Fields supporting cast. We also had to trade up to get him which is not ideal (although still obviously a great trade).

It's much more Pace's fault than Poles, but bottom line this has been a pretty terrible attempt at building around a promising young QB. This offseason will be the first of Fields career where we can actually make strides towards meaningfully improving the roster. And as a result of that, we're not going to be able to build up a playoff level supporting cast before Fields is due an extension which is flatly a failure. None of this is Fields's fault by the way, but it somewhat works against his 'value'.

Compare that to building fresh around Bryce Young, and it's a completely different story. If Fields is traded for 1-2 first rounders, then we'd have 4-5 first rounders to put on the roster during Bryce's rookie deal. As we know, we have the most cap space in the league to purchase a few quality starters. We can realistically have 4 straight offseasons of improving the roster that line up directly with Bryce Young's rookie deal. That's very different than for Fields where we essentially wasted 2 offseasons.

Again, the above has nothing to do with comparative worth/abilities of Fields/Young. But as an exercise in team building, it's pretty clear which path has the upper hand.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:

Fields has too much potential to waste the #1 pick on another QB simply b/c of the risk that exists if he might not turn out to be a great passer.

That risk has to be accepted and is perfectly acceptable at that.

Now The risk of them f'ng up TWO QBs in the event they draft Young, ruin Fields' confidence, Young doesn't pan out......yeah Poles isn't taking that risk.
its an easy decision for you because you have no skin in the game, The decision for Poles is not as easy, fucking up this situation is as bad as what Pace did with Mitch, this can make or break you as a GM. He gets it right and he is set to make millions a year for a long long time, he gets it wrong and he wont last long as a GM.

Fields lack of actually being a good passer makes this a harder call, your dammed if you do your dammed if you dont kind of situation.
If Fields fails and Young turns out to be great then the question is why would you put faith into a QB that only averaged 149 ypg passing when you could of Drafted Young?
The flip side is what if he drafts Young and trades Fields and Young busts out and Field turns into Mahomes 2.0? Then the argument is why would you give up on a QB that is so talented he ran for over 1000 yards?

Bust

Liked Posts:

Well put! Fields is already on year 3 of his rookie deal. It's a real easy decision for Poles, take the 1st and 3rd and call it a day. Draft Bryce Young who comes in ready for a pro style offense.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Liked Posts:
its an easy decision for you because you have no skin in the game, The decision for Poles is not as easy, fucking up this situation is as bad as what Pace did with Mitch, this can make or break you as a GM. He gets it right and he is set to make millions a year for a long long time, he gets it wrong and he wont last long as a GM.

Fields lack of actually being a good passer makes this a harder call, your dammed if you do your dammed if you dont kind of situation.
If Fields fails and Young turns out to be great then the question is why would you put faith into a QB that only averaged 149 ypg passing when you could of Drafted Young?
The flip side is what if he drafts Young and trades Fields and Young busts out and Field turns into Mahomes 2.0? Then the argument is why would you give up on a QB that is so talented he ran for over 1000 yards?
Sooo you basically agreed with me.

The biggest mess up of them all would be the scenario of moving on from Fields and him turning into an elite QB.

Out of all the scenarios that exist, the one with with the worst risk/reward ratio is the one where you give up on Fields and draft a QB this year.

Hence....easy decision.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Sooo you basically agreed with me.

The biggest mess up of them all would be the scenario of moving on from Fields and him turning into an elite QB.

Out of all the scenarios that exist, the one with with the worst risk/reward ratio is the one where you give up on Fields and draft a QB this year.

Hence....easy decision.
No that's only one bad option, if Fields does nothing to improve and Young is the next Brady, Mahomes etc.. then that is equally as bad.