Buccaneers will probably trade WR Mike Evans for cap space

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

He's a year younger and also a lot healthier so he'll cost more than DeAndre Hopkins.

Last edited:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I'd hardly call Mike Evans a lot healthier than DeAndre Hopkins. Hopkins has mostly been healthy his entire career until last year. Mike evans has nagging soft tissue injuries nearly every season that have occasionally caused him to miss time but when he doesn't miss time you can tell it affects him on the field.

Evans value should be about the same as Hopkins. The year difference in age means very little considering he's played through injury a lot more and they are both old for nfl standards.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm against older WRs. I didn't want Robinson signed, I don't want Hopkins. Because they are at or over 30 years old. Mike Evans turns 30 right before this season, but he's harder to say no to. I haven't seen his skill deteriorate yet, like I believe I see with Hopkins. He's put up 1000 yards every season of his career and has had QB play that has left a lot of yards on the table. Really remarkable career so far. If it's just for the rest of his current contract (2 years), then I'd be fine as long as it's not a top 40 pick for him. But I don't want a contract extension to come with it.

sphinxnole

Liked Posts:
Mike Evans hands are worse than BMarsh.. He drops so many passes for a #1 I’d Rather we pass on Evans…

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm against older WRs. I didn't want Robinson signed, I don't want Hopkins. Because they are at or over 30 years old. Mike Evans turns 30 right before this season, but he's harder to say no to. I haven't seen his skill deteriorate yet, like I believe I see with Hopkins. He's put up 1000 yards every season of his career and has had QB play that has left a lot of yards on the table. Really remarkable career so far. If it's just for the rest of his current contract (2 years), then I'd be fine as long as it's not a top 40 pick for him. But I don't want a contract extension to come with it.

That's the ideal situation but it's hard to find a good young WR.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
At this point, I feel Poles made his choice when trading for Claypool, that that would be his WR aquisition. He made his bed and now we have to lie in it. That's not to say we won't make a trade, but that it is unlikely we use any 1st or 2nd rd capital on someone over 30 years old. We have to be very selective now.

And I don't anticipate us doing anything drastic until the organization has a undergone free agency, and we have a better sense of what our needs are, who we like in the draft, and what the market is for our #1 pick.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t see poles trading for any player over 25-26 yrs old.

Not saying it’s right, but he keeps talking about the foundation and building thru the draft.

That’s a big reason why I think he did the trade for Claypool; he’s only 24.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
At this point, I feel Poles made his choice when trading for Claypool, that that would be his WR aquisition. He made his bed and now we have to lie in it. That's not to say we won't make a trade, but that it is unlikely we use any 1st or 2nd rd capital on someone over 30 years old. We have to be very selective now.

And I don't anticipate us doing anything drastic until the organization has a undergone free agency, and we have a better sense of what our needs are, who we like in the draft, and what the market is for our #1 pick.

That would be a Bear move to just stop at Claypool but it's 2023 you need more than one decent WR to be compete in the NFL. Did the Bengals say they already spent too much at WR after drafting Tee Higgins who had 900 yards? No they drafted Ja'Marr Chase in the top five of the draft the next year.

DeAndre Hopkins and Mike Evans won't cost a first or second round pick at most a third round pick.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I don’t see poles trading for any player over 25-26 yrs old.

Not saying it’s right, but he keeps talking about the foundation and building thru the draft.

That’s a big reason why I think he did the trade for Claypool; he’s only 24.

I feel like he kinda has too with the lack of talent on this offense. I'm not saying overpay like Ryan Pace did but look around without panicing.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Trade Value would have to be Day 3, but I do think that we have the first pick on that day, so it might hold some value.

How would his contract work?
I am assuming that we would pay the Base and Roster Bonus, but would we pay the Prorated Bonus?

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
That would be a Bear move to just stop at Claypool but it's 2023 you need more than one decent WR to be compete in the NFL. Did the Bengals say they already spent too much at WR after drafting Tee Higgins who had 900 yards? No they drafted Ja'Marr Chase in the top five of the draft the next year.

DeAndre Hopkins and Mike Evans won't cost a first or second round pick at most a third round pick.
You are talking about Jamar Chase, who had one of the most dominant receiving seasons in SEC history and was deemed better than Justin Jefferson, (who had just had a 1,400 yd rookie season) while at LSU.

Also, I'm not against drafting a WR in the top 2 rounds if the staff feels the talent is there. Especially if we recoup extra draft picks by moving back from #1. My argument was against trading for 30+ year old receivers who are on the decline and still cost a bit of money. Top contenders are the ones who sacrifice the future for short term gain. Doesn't really make sense for us to spend top capital for such guys.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Sometimes the #1 pick is Lebron, other times it's Andrew Bogut. Sometimes the top free agent is Kevin Durant, other times it's Paul Millsap. Poles is facing the latter in each scenario. Trading for an older WR seems like a bad idea. Ideally you'd sign one on a 1-2 year deal, draft and develop a future #1 (or have enough to move up for MHJr).

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
Adding Evans or Hopkins would be a huge win. Hopefully we can get one of them for a 2nd rounder. The window to win is now. Not 5 years from now.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Adding Evans or Hopkins would be a huge win. Hopefully we can get one of them for a 2nd rounder. The window to win is now. Not 5 years from now.
Someone needs to tell KC that their window has passed since they don't have their franchise QB on a rookie contract.