dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

When someone mentions the Chicago Bears to an old head, the first thing they think is running the ball and defense. Most fans of my generation feel that it has been done repeatedly, and the team can’t possibly win that way because they have tried and failed.

Tell me, friend, when have the Chicago Bears actually focused on building up a strong running game and a strong defense? During the Ryan Pace era, the Chicago Bears have been a combination of ever going in either direction entirely. Ryan Pace’s first draft pick was Kevin White — an up-and-coming deep threat with size and speed.

In 2015, the Chicago Bears released offensive lineman Roberto Garza and signed Will Montgomery to start at center. They moved Kyle Long (All-Pro guard) to right tackle. That year, the Chicago Bears also brought in Alan Ball, Mason Foster, Pernell McPhee, Jarvis Jenkins, Antrel Rolle, and Tracy Porter (to help Kyle Fuller in the secondary). Jacquizz Rodgers was the veteran brought in to help with Matt Forte. Eddie Royal was the slot guy that was signed. A few defensive moves, mostly run stoppers and a passing catching and blocking running back with a slot receiver.

None of that screams running the ball. In the draft that season, the Chicago Bears selected Hroniss Grasu at center to battle Will Montgomery. Neither of these centers was known for their ability to open up running holes. Both were a bit small and were known for the agility.

Remember, Eddie Goldman was selected in the second round that year — a pure nose tackle with a bit of upside at stopping the run. Adrian Amos was a free safety but became more of an in-the-box run stopper and short, middle-of-the-field protector. Jeremy Langford, who replaced Matt Forte shortly after (sort of), was a dual-threat running back.

The Chicago Bears were built to stop the run while passing the ball on offense. When you look back at all of the Chicago Bears offseasons under Ryan Pace, most of the players acquired were to stop the run and pass the ball. Sure, you will have the Jordan Howard (no hands) era and the Khalil Mack trade.

Ryan Pace is not a bad GM, but he tried his best impression to recreate the New Orleans Saints. When Mitch Trubisky did not turn (or didn’t he?) into that Drew Brees type of player, the vision was corrupted. Side note, Trubisky is following in a Drew Brees-like-pattern, though. Sean Payton, you going for round two?

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
drew brees like pattern

:jonesy:

so are we gonna say that about every trash qb?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Without reading the original post, I'm guessing it's a good idea to not read the original post.

The OP is just a link to an article and i posted the first page of that article. It's simply saying we should build this team to play like the Titans play with Tannehill and D.Henry, which if we can't get our hands on a legit QB then it would be a very good idea instead of trading a bunch of assets reaching to get a QB that could bust on us.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Just build from the trenches out.

If an offensive line is dominating the offense can run whatever plays it likes. Conversely, if a defensive line is dominating the options an opposing offense has get very limited (and very predictable). It is that simple. Even Matt Nagy can design successful plays if the protection and blocking is elite. And even the likes of Nick Foles can win a Super Bowl if he has all the time he needs to work.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The OP is just a link to an article and i posted the first page of that article. It's simply saying we should build this team to play like the Titans play with Tannehill and D.Henry, which if we can't get our hands on a legit QB then it would be a very good idea instead of trading a bunch of assets reaching to get a QB that could bust on us.
You forgot the “R” in R.Tannehill

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
When was the last time a running and defense team with a turd for a QB won a Super Bowl?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Without reading the original post, I'm guessing it's a good idea to not read the original post.
The premise of the article is that Trubisky is on a Drew Brees like trajectory (maybe) so yes, it's pretty fucking stupid

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The premise of the article is that Trubisky is on a Drew Brees like trajectory (maybe) so yes, it's pretty fucking stupid
Bears should look into him. Sounds like he's gonna be great!

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bears should look into him. Sounds like he's gonna be great!
You're being sarcastic but the similarities are there. Brees is a white male and so is Trubisky

Last edited:

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
I will always have a run first offense/elite d mentality. It’s the heartbeat of this franchise. And idc what era you are in it can always win championships. Invest in offensive lines and powerhouse defenses.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Tannehill has started 26 games for the Titans and has 6500 yards 55 TDs and 13 INTs.

The Titans haven’t built a team that doesn’t require elite QB play... they just fell ass backwards into a guy playing elite QB.