Build to run and play strong defense.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Tannehill has started 26 games for the Titans and has 6500 yards 55 TDs and 13 INTs.

The Titans haven’t built a team that doesn’t require elite QB play... they just fell ass backwards into a guy playing elite QB.
Maybe having that dominant OL and running game helps Tannehill LOOK elite? I mean, he’s better than Trent Dilfer, but he’s not a truly elite QB

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Tannehill has started 26 games for the Titans and has 6500 yards 55 TDs and 13 INTs.

The Titans haven’t built a team that doesn’t require elite QB play... they just fell ass backwards into a guy playing elite QB.

Titans also had 2 OCs that went straight to HC roles. When have the Bears ever had a good OC go on to be a HC? Gase, who helped ruin Tannehills stock to begin with. That’s about it.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Titans also had 2 OCs that went straight to HC roles. When have the Bears ever had a good OC go on to be a HC? Gase, who helped ruin Tannehills stock to begin with. That’s about it.

I still maintain Gase was overrated as OC based on working with Manning. guarantee he wouldn't have gotten any looks after Fox left the Broncos if he had to work with Tebow instead. his playcalling was every bit as silly as Nagy's. all things considered, the Chicago Bears in contemporary times are vastly improved over 2015 where it was like gimmick play for a loss, 2 false starts, Cutler converting 3rd and long over and over. but yes, dating back to Lovie Smith, a number of the ex-Bears OCs wound up retired/getting cast out of the league completely.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Maybe having that dominant OL and running game helps Tannehill LOOK elite? I mean, he’s better than Trent Dilfer, but he’s not a truly elite QB

Yep, the dominant running game is what opens up the passing game for him. Tannehill had multiple games where he completed 15 or less passes. You still gotta give it up to Tenn and Tannehill for taking his game to the next level after getting out of Miami but if you put him in a high passing offense i'm not sure the Titans would be as good.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Aaronitout told me this morning that Tannehill is better than Rodgers. He’s currently locked up in a loony bin after the playoff exist. I’m taking message for him.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The Titans are actually an interesting team. I've watched almost all of the Titans games the last 2 years. They are definitely built to run the ball, but I wouldn't say they are built "in the trenches" and they damn sure don't play strong defense. They lost a pretty good tackle last offseason in Conklin. They lost their LT early in the season and started 3 different players there including Quessenberry, who is a natural guard. Their C-RG-RT are all mid round picks. The only big investments they made on the OL was Saffold (who's decent), Lewan (who played 15% of the snaps) and 1st round pick Isaiah Wilson who is on the verge of being cut for off-field issues, and played 0 snaps.

What they do is have a roster of 4 TEs and a FB, which is unheard of, and they run behind those TEs (including the best blocking TE in football, MyCole Pruitt) who open holes on the edge for Henry who actually does most of his damage outside of the tackle box. People look at Henry's size and thinks he's running over LBs on the inside, but their scheme does a great job of getting him in the open field against smaller safeties and CBs.

In the pass game, they were 30th in pass attempts, but it's not dinking and dunking. They playaction like crazy and throw the ball down the field. Tannehill was 4th in the league in yards per completion, and they max protect (with those TEs) and do a lot of 2-3 receiver routes with Brown and Davis running 15-25 yard routes. So, it's not like you can throw anyone at QB and replicate this offense.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The Titans defense was much better in 2019 then they were last year which is a big reason why they were better and were good in the playoffs in 2019. Getting AJ Brown really turned their passing game up a notch. His run after the catch is great for a WR his size.

twetz

Liked Posts:
When was the last time a running and defense team with a turd for a QB won a Super Bowl?

Obviously, this year's Super Bowl didn't have turds at the QB position, but if you watched the game I would guess that you saw the impact of Fournette and Jones. On the opposite side of the field, the only time I saw a spark from the KC offense was when Edwards-Helaire popped a few runs on Tampa Bay. I get it - the NFL is a copycat league and always will be, but I just don't get much pleasure out of kicking the dirty dog known as an NFL running back.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The Titans defense was much better in 2019 then they were last year which is a big reason why they were better and were good in the playoffs in 2019. Getting AJ Brown really turned their passing game up a notch. His run after the catch is great for a WR his size.

AJ is phenomenal, but their passing game didn't turn around until they made the QB change. So, I don't think you can give the defense, run game, O-line, or AJ Brown a ton of credit, because they had all of that with Mariota and were terrible offensively. The Bears played their best when they had a running game, but when it came down to it they didn't have the QB play to get over the top.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
This philosophy has produced a franchise losing record in the Super Bowl era. And 1 championship in 55 years!

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
AJ is phenomenal, but their passing game didn't turn around until they made the QB change. So, I don't think you can give the defense, run game, O-line, or AJ Brown a ton of credit, because they had all of that with Mariota and were terrible offensively. The Bears played their best when they had a running game, but when it came down to it they didn't have the QB play to get over the top.

All i said was AJ Brown turned their passing game up a notch.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Obviously, this year's Super Bowl didn't have turds at the QB position, but if you watched the game I would guess that you saw the impact of Fournette and Jones. On the opposite side of the field, the only time I saw a spark from the KC offense was when Edwards-Helaire popped a few runs on Tampa Bay. I get it - the NFL is a copycat league and always will be, but I just don't get much pleasure out of kicking the dirty dog known as an NFL running back.

I'm not shitting on RBs or a running game. I think they are very important. A balanced offense with a franchise QB, and a good OL and RB is what will win us a championship on offense. A strong defense wouldn't hurt either. But the passing game is the most important imo.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Gedbears70 definitely works for fansided and is erik lambert at this point