Building a good team is better than building for a specific player.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
i get what youre saying

but fields isnt the poopy pants QB. we should still be able to see improvement. and Nagy is gone too so theres that
I definitely think we'll see improvement because lets be honest, you cant get much worse. Id like to see a big step forward but i just dont see how that's possible when you still have such a poor offensive roster. We saw so many instances last season where no one could make a play for Fields. I don't see how that's any different now. I don't want to watch 17 games of kid gloves and them treating him like a game manager because they just dont have the talent to effectively run what he wants to.

we know what happened after

i dont think they even got diggs and upgraded his cast until year 3
People have to stop using these outlier QBs to act like its ok. Josh Allen is a unicorn. and he sucked year 2 too.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I definitely think we'll see improvement because lets be honest, you cant get much worse. Id like to see a big step forward but i just dont see how that's possible when you still have such a poor offensive roster. We saw so many instances last season where no one could make a play for Fields. I don't see how that's any different now. I don't want to watch 17 games of kid gloves and them treating him like a game manager because they just dont have the talent to effectively run what he wants to.

People have to stop using these outlier QBs to act like its ok. Josh Allen is a unicorn. and he sucked year 2 too.

Fields is gonna be my unicorn

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Things I don't want to hear during/after the season:

"Of course Fields is playing like crap. No one could play well behind that line and with no one to throw to."

"Let's give Getsy the benefit of the doubt. He didn't have the personnel."

"Yeah, George Pickens and Skyy Moore are killing it. But that's just because they're on the Steelers and Chiefs. That wouldn't have happened in Chicago."

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Yes because the chiefs don’t have the best tight end in the NFL and Rodgers is one of the very best to play the position lol . And fwiw the packers tried to keep Adams and then tried trading for Darren Waller.

Such an ignorant take
It isn't ignorant, and it isn't like we don't have a top 20 WR in Mooney. People exaggerate the WR issue and it is not nearly as bad as this board makes it out to be.
We can't fire a coach for his lack of scheming and pretend that adding a new coach won't be a tremendous boost to Fields and the WR core. So in a sense we did help Fields a lot by replacing NAgy with an OC that is highly regarded to scheme to his players.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I'd agree you need a good overall team but still a lot of ignorance in there. QBs mentioned were aided by top defenses. All those WRs mentioned for Brady and Rodgers were very good. But as is the case with casual fans, all credit given to QB regardless. It's a team thing. Formula for Pats was same throughout, all 3 phases very good and limit turnovers. Pats had top 8 defense in all 6 SB winning seasons during the B&B era.

Think of all the credit Brady gets for all those SB wins. In fact, the first 3 wins came down to a Vinatieri FG in the last quarter, couple of those in the final seconds. 4th SB win came by way of Butler's amazing int when Seattle was on the 1 yard line and afraid to run the Beast. 5th win was the one when Atlanta folded and blew/threw the 25 point lead. Last SB win with NE was the snoozefest in which Rams could only manage 3 points while Pats got 1 TD and 2 FGs. SBs don't come down to who has the better QB as often as lay people think. Sometimes all you need is a clutch kick here, a tuck rule there, deflated ball, some spying or just that 1 big play in any of the 3 phases of the game.
Kinda saying the point that I am here. The Bears will have near a top ten defense with the personell they have next year. This was built in one off season. Their receiver core is likely better than the teams I mentioned in that post you quoted. IF the scheme this year is designed to protect Fields and move the pocket then the offense will do similar things to what Seattles did in 2014.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Nobody but there were 3 WR's that I would have picked ahead of a 25 year old punt returner

This is hilarious!

I read some stuff online so I know more than an entire professional scouting department. I mean...really?

These guys do this for a living and are wrong all the time. I love how fans think they could do so much better cuz they watched a couple clips or read a couple hot takes.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yes because the chiefs don’t have the best tight end in the NFL and Rodgers is one of the very best to play the position lol . And fwiw the packers tried to keep Adams and then tried trading for Darren Waller.

Such an ignorant take
The Packers could’ve kept Davante Adams if they wanted to and they did not trade for Darren Waller it was just a rumor. You’re giving the Packers credit for keeping/acquiring wide receivers when they simply did not do that.

As a matter of fact, the Packers are an absolute prime example of doing exactly the opposite of what people on this board say is the only thing the Bears can do.

The Packers have not drafted an offensive player in the first round during the Rodgers era in over 15 years. And they still have an offense.

No I don’t think Fields is going to be as good as Rodgers and that’s not the point. But the point is you can have an offense without drafting offensive players with your first rounder just because you like the quarterback.

I would like to have seen a wide receiver drafted in Round 2, and yet I’m fine that one was not drafted in the second round. I trust the GM to build the team not just the offense.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
For the thousandth time. Can y’all give Poles the same amount of patience you give Fields and other Bears QBs?

This was never going to be finished in one year. The first off-season isn’t even finished. Poles doesn’t even have the scouting staff he wants yet. We have to let this play out.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Packers could’ve kept Davante Adams if they wanted to and they did not trade for Darren Waller it was just a rumor. You’re giving the Packers credit for keeping/acquiring wide receivers when they simply did not do that.

As a matter of fact, the Packers are an absolute prime example of doing exactly the opposite of what people on this board say is the only thing the Bears can do.

The Packers have not drafted an offensive player in the first round during the Rodgers era in over 15 years. And they still have an offense.

No I don’t think Fields is going to be as good as Rodgers and that’s not the point. But the point is you can have an offense without drafting offensive players with your first rounder just because you like the quarterback.

I would like to have seen a wide receiver drafted in Round 2, and yet I’m fine that one was not drafted in the second round. I trust the GM to build the team not just the offense.
No, they couldn't he was a free agent. it has been reported that they actually offered him more than the Raiders and he left because Rodgers is an insufferable prick. Using one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the position is probably not a fair measurable. Point to any other team where Brady and Rodgers are not QBs and you will see teams putting players around them., even Brees.

I don't even care that we didn't draft a WR in the second round, I am happy with the draft. (minus the 3rd round)

If you want a fair comparison it would be Josh Allen. His rookie stats were almost identical to Fields rookie season. Guess what they did for him in year two ?

But for the sake of making you look foolish (in our division alone) all teams upgraded their offenses in the draft and/or free agency specifically at WR. Don't get me started on what the Jets are doing for Wilson and what Jacksonville is doing for Lawrence.

Like I said, the draft was a good draft but the fact is he hasn't done enough (yet) for Fields.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
It isn't ignorant, and it isn't like we don't have a top 20 WR in Mooney. People exaggerate the WR issue and it is not nearly as bad as this board makes it out to be.
We can't fire a coach for his lack of scheming and pretend that adding a new coach won't be a tremendous boost to Fields and the WR core. So in a sense we did help Fields a lot by replacing NAgy with an OC that is highly regarded to scheme to his players.
There is a huge , grand canyon sized difference between Kelce and Mooney lol are you kidding me ? Yes, Mooney is a fringe 1b WR probably. Awesome. And then ? 2021 he also had Allen Robinson on the other side of the field. Robinson's production dipped because Nagy is a fucking moron, he is still a great receiver and teams had to account for him.

You are basing that off an assumption. Yes, there is hope that Getsy isn't a moron. I feel like he will be an upgrade that still doesn't matter if the quaterback is on his back., whether that is guys not getting open or protection ala 2021.

Skull

Liked Posts:
The arguments on this board about not giving Fields weapons is quite fallacious.

Every single previous GM in recent Bears history has tried building around the quarterback and it has failed. We gave Cutler Marshall/Jeffery/Bennett and Mike Martz and that didn't work. Why? The QB wasn't good. We did the same with Trubisky with Arob/Graham/Mooney, and it didn't work because the QB was bad. Angelo, Emery, Pace were all fired because they kept spending on FA and reaching in drafts to supply a QB and help make the QB look better. This formula doesn't work.

Teams that had good QB's didn't always have great offensive lines and receivers when they won super bowls. Just look at Russel Wilson, Tom Brady (won a SB with Branch and Givens) and Aaron Rodgers (35 year old Driver and Greg Jennings, and a TE no one remembers). At some point in time these QB's showed how great they were, even when they didn't have surrounding talent.

If we draft for weapons around Fields, and he isn't a good QB, then we will have a bad defense and a bad offense. Whereas if you draft best player available, you start to build a complete team that can be loaded with all-pros who win regardless of bad or average QB play (Lovies Bears era as an example, winning with Grosmman and Cutler). If Fields is a legit QB, he is going to make the receivers around him look better.

That being said, last year Fields had a horrible situation where he had bad coaching. So there isn't really any indication on what he is yet, therefore building around a player who may not be here after his rookie deal, is setting us up for another rebuild. It was unfortunate the Nagy didn't do this as it would have allowed the Bears to do what Cincy did for Burrow, but we aren't there yet. Fields needs to prove that he is worthy to invest in, and he hasn't done that yet.
Great post!

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
OMG! He’s 25!!! He will retire in June!!
The funny thing is all the people that would be sucking Poles off right now if he took Bernhard Raimann…. Who happens to be only 5 months younger.

These people just read the mock drafts and assume they’re reality. Happens every year. And when it doesn’t go like their precious little mock drafts they get all angry and shook.