Bulls 2022 Offseason Discussion Thread (FREE AGENCY)

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’d say so. He’s always been a poor and low effort defender so no change there, but yeah he’s pretty average. That said, BD did him no favors with how he was used. For whatever reason, he just didn’t want to commit to playing in the post and inside out even though Vuc shot an ABYSMAL 31% from distance. Very good post player, struggled mightily from 3 and BD just never adjusted.
BD was convinced Vuc would revert back to shooting 40% from 3 like he did last year I guess. Would've been nice if he even got to his career average at least...literally a career worst season shooting the ball from Vuc...sigh

Gobert could certainly thrive better defensively than Vuc, particularly in the drop scheme that the Bulls tend to use (mind you this is the same thing Milwaukee does), but offensively I share the same reservations about offense. Sure Gobert is a lob threat, but imo that's really only relevant if you have Lonzo throwing lobs. And given BD already has a low post thread in Vuc but still doesn't prioritize that aspect of the game, it may be more prudent to just get better shooters.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The more I look at this offseason, the more I have trouble seeing the Bulls doing much of anything to actually improve.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The more I look at this offseason, the more I have trouble seeing the Bulls doing much of anything to actually improve.
I think they'll sign Zack to the max deal. I personally don't think he's a max player, but you need to keep him.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Can cross Covington off the wish list now, too

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think they'll sign Zack to the max deal. I personally don't think he's a max player, but you need to keep him.
Signing Zack to a max deal doesn't improve the team over last season. You're right in that you need to keep him.

I just fail to see how they get much more than their 1st round draft pick and maybe a vet minimum guy or two. They may not even get that and just have to find some journey man player who is basically a 12th man on most teams.

The only other thing I can think of is the high risk high reward guys (guys with massive injury histories for example).

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Signing Zack to a max deal doesn't improve the team over last season. You're right in that you need to keep him.

I just fail to see how they get much more than their 1st round draft pick and maybe a vet minimum guy or two. They may not even get that and just have to find some journey man player who is basically a 12th man on most teams.

The only other thing I can think of is the high risk high reward guys (guys with massive injury histories for example).
Ultimately it just comes down to there not being very many viable options for improvement available. The trade market seems very quiet for player movement in general, and salary situations make trading for an upgrade seem slim. FA market doesn't really seem to have much either that would be a definite upgrade anywhere.

High risk high reward guys might be your best bet. For example dumping Coby basically anywhere then going out and signing Victor Oladipo. Massive injury history, but that's a guy whose floor on defense is much higher and could bring a lot of the same things offensively as Coby. You could also potentially target Montrezl Harrell as a backup big and he does fit some need of a PF who can rebound, but his defense is suspect and likely costs a bit too much.

All the Bulls exit interviews not surprisingly basically said they were looking forward to running it back with more or less the same squad. At least from the core players perspective, I don't see any reason to believe otherwise. We'll have some minor bench player shuffling, but at this point I don't think they'd even be rotation players.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Ultimately it just comes down to there not being very many viable options for improvement available. The trade market seems very quiet for player movement in general, and salary situations make trading for an upgrade seem slim. FA market doesn't really seem to have much either that would be a definite upgrade anywhere.

High risk high reward guys might be your best bet. For example dumping Coby basically anywhere then going out and signing Victor Oladipo. Massive injury history, but that's a guy whose floor on defense is much higher and could bring a lot of the same things offensively as Coby. You could also potentially target Montrezl Harrell as a backup big and he does fit some need of a PF who can rebound, but his defense is suspect and likely costs a bit too much.

All the Bulls exit interviews not surprisingly basically said they were looking forward to running it back with more or less the same squad. At least from the core players perspective, I don't see any reason to believe otherwise. We'll have some minor bench player shuffling, but at this point I don't think they'd even be rotation players.
Well I assume Troy Brown Jr and DJ Jr are gone, so they'll have to replace them with someone. One roster slot will go to the 1st round pick, but who knows on the rest.

I imagine Tristan is gone too, opening another slot. They could have another open with Matt Thomas not coming back. So there's 3 openings for FA's. Plus who knows if Coby gets traded and for what.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well I assume Troy Brown Jr and DJ Jr are gone, so they'll have to replace them with someone. One roster slot will go to the 1st round pick, but who knows on the rest.

I imagine Tristan is gone too, opening another slot. They could have another open with Matt Thomas not coming back. So there's 3 openings for FA's. Plus who knows if Coby gets traded and for what.
Right, but those spots are basically all inconsequential to me unless we're replacing those guys with someone who is going to be in the rotation. From that perspective, Bulls are pretty locked in.

PG - Lonzo/Ayo
SG - Lavine/Caruso
SF - DeRozan/Green
PF - Williams
C - Vucevic

That's not taking into account Coby and Tony Bradley who are still under contract (I think Bradley is still under contract via player option?).

It would take a rotation level big or a legit 3 & D player to disrupt that core rotation.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Shooters, shooters, shooters.

I'm sick of being a non-shooting team and having to watch other teams scrubs light us up from 3.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I think they’ll be forced to sign him to a max deal. They could offer him less since I don’t believe another team has the space to max him (or not many), but that would likely damage Bulls rep around the league and likely cause LaVine to ask for a sign and trade…which wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world depending what the Bulls could get for him because I agree, he’s not a max impact player. All that said, Bulls more than likely offer him the max and the Bulls remain mediocre until at least another year when Vucs contract comes off the books.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Yeah, I think they’ll be forced to sign him to a max deal. They could offer him less since I don’t believe another team has the space to max him (or not many), but that would likely damage Bulls rep around the league and likely cause LaVine to ask for a sign and trade…which wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world depending what the Bulls could get for him because I agree, he’s not a max impact player. All that said, Bulls more than likely offer him the max and the Bulls remain mediocre until at least another year when Vucs contract comes off the books.
His knee is the biggest wildcard in the whole thing. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't healthy for a majority of the season, and especially against the Bucks. There needs to be a ton of assurances that it is healthy.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
His knee is the biggest wildcard in the whole thing. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't healthy for a majority of the season, and especially against the Bucks. There needs to be a ton of assurances that it is healthy.
I agree it’s difficult to give a true evaluation of his performance, especially once the knee became an issue…but he looked to be pretty much the same player from the start of the year. Yes, he had the thumb injury early, but I still saw a lot of the poor mental decisions I’ve always seen from him. I think his on ball defense got better, but his overall defensive awareness still was not very good. It’s likely that he peaked but who knows. Demar just had a career year at the ripe old age of 47 lol

The knee is a concern though. Especially considering lonzo’s knee history and the fact he’s still hobbled and may need a second surgery. The Bulls starting backcourt have knee concerns and are/will be taking up a huge percentage of the cap.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Just tear it down again and start over. Lavine, Derozan and Vuc are all overpaid. Coby is a bad backup combo guard.

The first round exit is the team's ceiling.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Just tear it down again and start over. Lavine, Derozan and Vuc are all overpaid. Coby is a bad backup combo guard.

The first round exit is the team's ceiling.
They’re actually not overpaid. LaVine will be overpaid soon though

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Shooters, shooters, shooters.

I'm sick of being a non-shooting team and having to watch other teams scrubs light us up from 3.
I concur, but who's available?

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I concur, but who's available?
Jeremy Lamb comes to mind. 34% career from 3. Tyus Jones at 35% for his career and 39% this season with a nba all time best assist to turnover ratio(7:1). Bryn Forbes at 41% career from 3

There are shooters available this offseason, let’s not pretend there isn’t just because none of them are star type players.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Jeremy Lamb comes to mind. 34% career from 3. Tyus Jones at 35% for his career and 39% this season with a nba all time best assist to turnover ratio(7:1). Bryn Forbes at 41% career from 3

There are shooters available this offseason, let’s not pretend there isn’t just because none of them are star type players.
I don't think Jones is going anywhere after this season. He's a great guy to bring off the bench for Ja. Jeremy Lamb would be awesome, but I honestly don't know about his defense.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I don't think Jones is going anywhere after this season. He's a great guy to bring off the bench for Ja. Jeremy Lamb would be awesome, but I honestly don't know about his defense.
Agreed on all of that. Just saying those guys are going to be available this offseason and can shoot. Jones I would imagine ends up back in Memphis, but considering they are paying solid $$ to Jackson and will be paying Ja the max soon, and will have guys like brooks and bane to consider future payroll to…and maybe they decide Jones isn’t worth what he gets on the open market after having a career year.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Agreed on all of that. Just saying those guys are going to be available this offseason and can shoot. Jones I would imagine ends up back in Memphis, but considering they are paying solid $$ to Jackson and will be paying Ja the max soon, and will have guys like brooks and bane to consider future payroll to…and maybe they decide Jones isn’t worth what he gets on the open market after having a career year.
FYI: I'm not commenting on Lamb's defense, I'm saying I've never paid attention to it.