Bulls Beat #126 - The final bullsbeat

dougthonus

New member
2,665
9
0
http://www.bullspodcasters.com/bullsbeat/bullsbeat_126.mp3

It's not epic, it's not filled with great inside info, it's simply the final episode of the Bulls Beat podcast where I say my goodbyes to you, the fans who've made this show worth doing for the past few years.

For those who don't want to waste a download, let me just say thank you for all of your support over the years in doing the show. I owe a great debt to all of you for spreading the word, sending all your warm thoughts, and acting as my sports buddies when none of my real life friends care to listen.

Little known fact, since I started this show not a single person I knew in person has ever listened to it even once. Not my wife, best friend, no one. It's a show built solely on your support, all my friends from realgm, bullspodcasters, blogabull, pro sports daily, and even yahoo forums. I've gone to great lengths to discuss the Bulls with friends, but you've gone to great lengths to spread the show and make me feel special for doing it.

I just want to say thank you to everyone. You've made the show more successful than I ever dreamed it would be. You've made this moment hard, because I feel like I'm disappointing many of you whom love the show.

I've enjoyed meeting so many of you up at Bulls games, draft parties, real life basketball events, and I hope to still be able to do those things. I will still be around online in all the usual places, I just no longer have the time to dedicate to the show which now overlaps my blog to such a large degree.

So thank you everyone who ever downloaded an episode, recommended it to a friend, emailed in. I appreciate it all, your time is valuable, and I'm glad you wanted to spend some of it listening to me.

I hope you can take some of that same time and continue to post here. It's the only spot I can discuss the Bulls during the day as I can't get into my own email, realgm, or many other sites during the day.

So thank you, and I'll continue to see you online.
 

ryguy24

New member
457
3
0
dougthonus wrote:
http://www.bullspodcasters.com/bullsbeat/bullsbeat_126.mp3

It's not epic, it's not filled with great inside info, it's simply the final episode of the Bulls Beat podcast where I say my goodbyes to you, the fans who've made this show worth doing for the past few years.

For those who don't want to waste a download, let me just say thank you for all of your support over the years in doing the show. I owe a great debt to all of you for spreading the word, sending all your warm thoughts, and acting as my sports buddies when none of my real life friends care to listen.

Little known fact, since I started this show not a single person I knew in person has ever listened to it even once. Not my wife, best friend, no one. It's a show built solely on your support, all my friends from realgm, bullspodcasters, blogabull, pro sports daily, and even yahoo forums. I've gone to great lengths to discuss the Bulls with friends, but you've gone to great lengths to spread the show and make me feel special for doing it.

I just want to say thank you to everyone. You've made the show more successful than I ever dreamed it would be. You've made this moment hard, because I feel like I'm disappointing many of you whom love the show.

I've enjoyed meeting so many of you up at Bulls games, draft parties, real life basketball events, and I hope to still be able to do those things. I will still be around online in all the usual places, I just no longer have the time to dedicate to the show which now overlaps my blog to such a large degree.

So thank you everyone who ever downloaded an episode, recommended it to a friend, emailed in. I appreciate it all, your time is valuable, and I'm glad you wanted to spend some of it listening to me.

I hope you can take some of that same time and continue to post here. It's the only spot I can discuss the Bulls during the day as I can't get into my own email, realgm, or many other sites during the day.

So thank you, and I'll continue to see you online.
Nooooo!!

But really, thanks for everything man. It's made things alot more enjoyable.
 

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
8,672
2,711
70
Well, you are another person that I have disagreed with, but like Kush and Fred, you were not disagreeable towards me. Hopefully things go well for you now and in the future....
 

postdiction

New member
118
0
0
Doug will there be a different podcast to take its place?

You are the by far the best podcaster on this site. You are level headed and informative.

The best part about your podcasts are that you don't yell at the top of your lungs during the podcast and don't call out posters in your podcast.

Sadly, I will need to find a new Bull's podcast to listen to.

If anybody has any recommendations, please let me know. My requirements include no yelling and calling people names who aren't on the podcast.

laters,

postdiction

Go Illini!
 

Kush77

New member
2,097
150
0
Sorry to see you go DT, but I have a feeling Bulls Beat will be back sometime in the future.

In the meantime I'm sure myself, Fred & Mark, and Bullscast will have you on quite a bit during the season.

You're my boy DT!!!!!
 

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
21,876
6,847
105
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Your show will be missed a lot DT. I will miss the feeling of anticipation while downloading your show. Please please PLEASE be a guest host on the other shows, preferably often.

Perhaps Andrew can "replace" (no one could ever replace the Great One) Doug's spot on the Bullspodcasters site?
 

Medianotzu

New member
60
0
0
Doug! Step away from the ledge!

Awww, man. I've only been listening for a little over a year, but I have to agree that Doug's podcast is the best one out there, and that's not taking anything away from Kush, Fred and Mark. Bulls Beat is (was?) simply the best Bulls-related analysis I've ever seen/heard. Truly a black day in the history of Bulls fandom.

Thanks for everything you've given us fellow fans over the last 126 episodes, Doug. I'm going to go stage a viking funeral with my Bulls bobbleheads.
 

pinkizdead

New member
3,692
131
0
say it aent so, doug, say it aent so.

will i still be able to get my bullsbeat fix from the bulls confidential?
 

sfbullsfan

New member
14
0
0
Doug, You are a great podcaster and you will be missed. I very much have enjoyed your show for a couple of years now. You really should get a job in some sort of broadcasting. Now I just have to hope you find you can't live without the podcast.
 

flipcyde23

New member
81
0
0
Doug,

Been a loyal listener for a while now and have enjoyed many episodes... Good Luck in all your new endeavors and I look forward to your guest spots on RWTB, Bullseye and Bullscast.

A favorite episode of mine that sticks out of the bunch is the one where there are cats meowing in the background and I think the sound of dishes be done also. LOL. Every episode you are in this professional and serious tone on Bulls Basketball and then to hear cats meowing all of a sudden cracked me up! I also love how the guys at Bullscast rip on you and you don't take it seriously and joke along with them...

You seem like a great guy and wished I would've contacted you to rendezvous somewhere at the UC during the playoffs. Would've liked to shake your hand and had a beer and talked a little Bulls at halftime. Let's plan on next playoffs.... ;)

Peace out.... (as I walk away from the computer whistling the Bulls Beat theme....)
 

mlewinth

New member
680
6
0
postdiction wrote:
Doug will there be a different podcast to take its place?

You are the by far the best podcaster on this site. You are level headed and informative.

The best part about your podcasts are that you don't yell at the top of your lungs during the podcast and don't call out posters in your podcast.

Sadly, I will need to find a new Bull's podcast to listen to.

If anybody has any recommendations, please let me know. My requirements include no yelling and calling people names who aren't on the podcast.

laters,

postdiction

Go Illini!

I don't remember Kush ever yelling at the top of his lungs or calling out podcasters on his cast. He's a class guy!
 

pinkizdead

New member
3,692
131
0
kush actually is pretty classy. he's also the most professional. he's always doing plugs for the podcaster site etc. But he yelled constantly! i kinda liked that. Almost all of it was aimed at people who did deserve to be yelled at. Now that gordon is gone, i'd like to see where the podcast goes. It, as well as other podcasts aimed to expose the media bias against gordon/ paint a more realistic picture of gordon.

i'm going to miss the salary cap stuff. no one but doug really went into the salary stuff. Also no one was really a draft guy except for doug. i'll miss those things next year.
 

dougthonus

New member
2,665
9
0
Thanks for the warm wishes.

As for the show, there's a chance I will bring it back if my schedule changes. The blog is a good part of the reason as to why it's going away. I discuss the same stuff on both, and I found when I went to record a new episode I had nothing to say that wasn't covered on the blog.

My life is so busy right now that my free time is almost accounted for down to the minute. It just became so hard to fit in the show and then when fitting it in not having any time to prepare it or having anything new to say. It just no longer felt worthwhile.

It was really sad to stop, but my hope is that people who read my blog are able to get the same type of analysis that I gave on the show, and the blog is an easier way for me to talk back. It's (for better or worse) the only site I can get to at my work, so it's really the only Bulls forum I can participate in now with much time.

I'm a little bit more around here on the weekends / late evenings if I get a few minutes, but it's tough keeping up with everywhere.
 

Medianotzu

New member
60
0
0
Understandable, Doug. But reading my responses on your blog will never hold the same thrill as having one of my e-mails read on the podcast.

But as long as you keep up the blog, I think I'll manage. Somehow.
 

engies

New member
355
0
0
Damn! thanks for the show I love it and will miss it. thank god for this forum, this site, your blog & thank god for Kush, Mark & Fred!
 

Syxx

New member
12
0
0
Just wanted to put in my thank yous.

I've been listening to your show since the first time I saw it posted at blogabull. For almost two years now, I've looked forward to each of your shows. It was one of the few well-thought-out and surprisingly good sounding (as in the sound quality was very good when compared to other podcasts) sports podcasts. When the iPhone was updated allowing it to download podcasts, I was able to listen to your shows on my mourning commutes even easier.

I do understand your position though. You seem to be becoming a busier guy, between your new job, this maintaining bulls confidential, posting on other sites, and all of your personal life's tasks, I can definitely appreciate the amount of time you've set aside to make the Bulls Beat. Although I haven't really emailed you or contacted you directly, I've always meant to just say thanks for providing me with something I enjoyed so much. I, too, do not have many friends/coworkers that are fans of the Bulls, and your shows have helped me get my "Bulls release" from my everyday events.

The Bulls podcasting community has seen the end of an era. Your show was the one I checked for first, and your was the one I recommended the most to my buddies. I now wonder what the guys on the "Thonus post-game show" AKA the Bullscast will be able to talk about, heh. Hopefully another Bulls Crossover show can happen and maybe you can sit in on it...

Again, thanks for all of the episodes you've provided and all of the future content you'll produce.
 

MADman24

New member
143
0
0
I listened to every episode of your show since I learned of it's existence a little over a year ago. Your show was something I looked forward to every week, it got to the point where I would hear Bulls news and think "I want to hear Doug's take on this". I completely understand why you are ending the show but still it will be missed by many including me. My knowledge and understanding of the Bulls and pro-basketball has increased thanks to you and your show, not to mention because of your show I was able to win some tickets and got to see a fantastic game in which Gordon made a game-tying 4 point play in the final seconds of regulation, something I can never forget.

I'd just like to say thanks again for all of your shows and your work on what had been my favorite Bulls coverage of any medium since I learned of it and I guess your blog now takes over the number one spot.
 

Hawkfanwillie07

New member
43
0
0
Thanks for the show DT! I learned more about the financial side of the NBA from you than any other person. Its been great listening to you every week or so, especially during the season. Ive looked forward to every one of your podcasts. Like yourself, I dont have a lot of NBA fans either here is Des Moines, so the podcasts have been my Bulls conversation fix. Anyway, I look forward to your blogs and articles, keep em coming!
 

dougthonus

New member
2,665
9
0
I'm starting to rethink canceling the show and instead trying to go to a more every two weeks type schedule than an every week. I've gotten a much greater than expected outpouring of email of people saying how depressed they were that it was ending. It made me consider that having the show, even if it's largely a repeat of data from my blog, still offers something due to the medium that the blog doesn't.
 

Kush77

New member
2,097
150
0
dougthonus wrote:
I'm starting to rethink canceling the show and instead trying to go to a more every two weeks type schedule than an every week. I've gotten a much greater than expected outpouring of email of people saying how depressed they were that it was ending. It made me consider that having the show, even if it's largely a repeat of data from my blog, still offers something due to the medium that the blog doesn't.


Ah, see. I told you Bulls Beat would be back. I didn't think this soon. I'm gonna start calling you Brett Favre.

I don't think rehashing your blog post is that big of a deal. It's still good to hear you talk about that, plus you'll come up with other thoughts while talking etc.. So I wouldn't worry about that.
 

Top