Calling u out

gopher72

Liked Posts:
I know it's still early but IMHO it's time to recognize that this team is not the one many were hating on before the season began. Led by vets Kane, Cat and Keith, these guys are playing hard and getting points. We've found a goalie. We just took 3 points from a solid contender. And we're doing it without Dach and Toews. Time to give JC and this team their props.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
There is an awful lot to like here right now.

Kubi is a friggin stud. He has a rocket of a shot that he gets off so fast I cannot believe the King's gave him up for scraps.

Kurachev is a fun player to watch and the more I see the more I think he has to give

Suter is solid, Lankinen? I hate that leaning forward crap he does, he relies on it too much to play low angles...

But the defense is trash. Mitchell will get better, and I'm liking Beaudins game, but the defense is a train wreck.

Zadorov was brought in to mash and it's like he took a step back or three. He's been a pylon, Murphy has been bad, DK is trying to do everything out there, and fuck DeHann already.

If a couple of the young guys can step up on D, they might be something next year, might. But this year is pretty much done unless they go on a tear for the next ten games.

Kane is doing Kane things, Cat putting a couple in even if one was an EN is great, and Janmark is growing on me, but JC really needs to work on that defense for me to say he isn't a horrible coach.

And the bullshit razzle dazzle shit on the two man PP needs to go, shoot the damn puck

Bust

Liked Posts:
Getting balanced production. Chicago has got 6 guys with 4 goals already. They are 4th in the league cashing in on the powerplay at 32.7 percent

Last edited:

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Boys are looking good. Keep hearing in interviews they are buying into the system, and it shows with their play. I will happily eat crow if JC can keep this team moving and get us back in Cup contention

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Boys are looking good. Keep hearing in interviews they are buying into the system, and it shows with their play. I will happily eat crow if JC can keep this team moving and get us back in Cup contention
I'm with you, but they can't.

I had defended the forwards and our depth in the fall but got rightfully piled on. This team isn't good and what you are seeing is some data within an early season and a prideful Hawks team boosted by two wins against Detroit and able to tie a bunch of games they got outplayed.

Its not like I think we will compete for playoffs if its top 4 in this division, we have an outside shot to make a conversation after april fools day. That conversation won't end well however barring a trade for an elite netminder...or two, which most playoff teams have now.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Frankly I expected them to play pretty tanky this year. Would have been easy. But I am seeing alot of good things. To some extent you have to credit the coaching staff

ruprecht

Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, can't remember the last time they had a good PP. Although the real #1 unit is the #2 unit

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know it's still early but IMHO it's time to recognize that this team is not the one many were hating on before the season began. Led by vets Kane, Cat and Keith, these guys are playing hard and getting points. We've found a goalie. We just took 3 points from a solid contender. And we're doing it without Dach and Toews. Time to give JC and this team their props.
The team's been two over the last two years and they were admittedly rebuilding,telling us not to expect much.....right?
Is believing the FO hating on the team?
I like the effort too but I wouldn't spike the football after winning four of their first twelve games myself. If the kids gel to the point of winning PO series,I'll give them and their HC all the props in the world......if they play well enough to just miss,it's more no man's land.

What are your realistic expectations and vision for the future?
We were told we're rebuilding and that plan can't keep changing every ten games or so or it ain't a plan at all.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Yet again, nothing about this season can be used to make any kind of reasonable assumption about how this team and these players would handle a full normal regular 82 game season. You are taking a team and only playing the same teams over in back to backs. Teams you thought would be good are bad, and vise versa. There are some good young players and pieces here and there, but 12 games into quite possible the dumbest logistical season ever and only sitting on 12 points, is not the time to say, welp... I was dumb this team really will go to a cup.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Let's be real for a moment here. @MassHavoc has a lot of good points.

This team is around a single point per game, which at best puts them middle of the pack--which is not the best place to be during a rebuild. In fact, our point percentage (standings points) puts us tied for Nashville in the bottom 2 of the division.

Every team except Columbus in the division has games in hand.

We have yet to win in overtime. We're 4-4-4. 2 of those losses OTL are SOL, the other two are ROL. Our actual record is 4 wins, 4 losses, 2OTL, and 2 SOL. That is less of a .500 record and more of a losing record in terms of actual winning and possibly projecting it to playoff-type play.

We rank 16th in GF/GP with 2.92. We rank 19th in GA/GP with 3.03 and we rank 30th in SA/GP with 34.2. Comparing that to 'hawk teams since the 2016 season: This team so far ranks 4th in GF/GP--worse than last year so far. This team ranks 4th in GA/GP--worse than last year by a very slim margin, and 5th in SA/GP, only last year was worse.

The goal differential so far is -4. We were -6 last season. Slightly better but there's a ton of hockey left.

Only El Gato and Soderberg have a positive on-ice even strength goal differential, at 2 each. Carpenter, Zaddy, and Beaudin are even. Everyone else has a negative differential--DeHaan being the worst at -8.

Only Kampf is over 50% at the dot at even strength. Chances are we're chasing the puck at even strength unless the 4th line is out.

DeHaan is the worst in the league in turnovers. Keith is 4th worst. They each have 6 takeaways: they're coughing the puck up more then they're taking it back, and being defensemen that means that it'll ead to the opposition posessing it more and getting better chances.
~~~
In other words, they are exactly what I thought they would be in the offseason--except for 1 major caveat: The O is respectable--especially without Toews and Dach. We suck at faceoffs...especially without Toews. Our D is embarrassing but maybe slightly better than last year with Zadorov in and Maata out, but it's not enough to make a dent in better vs. worse. It's still horrible.

Now, to be positive here, there are some good things I'm seeing...starting with the major caveat: Goaltending. Lankinen has great poise and is doing most everything right. He's been thrown to the wolves, but he looks like he belongs and it's his net to lose. Great for rebuilding, but it doesn't make the team better than last year. A lot of the rookies and 2nd/3rd year players are indeed doing well. That is also good. Debrincat looks better. Koob doesn't look like he's slowed down too much and has shown some ability to set guys up. The powerplay looks good and guys tend to be doing things right.

Ultimately though, I don't think this is a team going anywhere. Any team with a good offense is going to give the 'hawks fits (Florida, Tampa, and likely Dallas). Any team with good defense (Tampa, Nashville, likely Dallas) will contain our O. The tale of the tape so far proves this: Tampa held us to to or less, and scored 5 on us. Florida scored 5 on us, and held us to 2 and 4, respectively. Detroit we beat up--holding them to 2 and 1 and scoring 4 and 6. Nashville held us to 2 and 1, respectively, but scored 3 and 2--both required extra time. Columbus was held to 2 and 1, One game that held is to 1, and the other game we got 3. We let Carolina score 4--in one game they held us to 3 and it was a shootout loss, the other we scored 6.

Over the course of the year, I think we might be at worst, a 500 team and at best a bottom 3rd team. While there are many positives, those are long-run rebuilding positives. I doubt the team is a playoff team.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Frankly I expected them to play pretty tanky this year. Would have been easy. But I am seeing alot of good things. To some extent you have to credit the coaching staff
For sure. We can say they are doing something right to get points with a depleted group and raw goaltending. It makes me question how hard I was on them gloating over advanced data metrics...and suggests they are at least onto something to make Lankinen a .944 after 6 games. Thats significant and a team/tactical effort not one youngster alone.

Be nice to JC...its hard to look like Harry Potter and coach a bunch of legends while coming from Scandanavian minor league hockey. If he's the smartest guy in the room, and this is him learning...well by God I think we are all listening right now and apparently so are the boys.

Get to April fools day in contention and maybe we entice the captain and can give it a run. Its exciting watching the yoots regardless.

ruprecht

Donator
Liked Posts:
To all the pump the brakers, who is saying they're Cup contenders? Im just enjoying the hockey they're playing and excited about a few young players. Can't fault guys for effort...... Losers like losing

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

This team is around a single point per game, which at best puts them middle of the pack--which is not the best place to be during a rebuild. In fact, our point percentage (standings points) puts us tied for Nashville in the bottom 2 of the division.

We have yet to win in overtime. We're 4-4-4. 2 of those losses OTL are SOL, the other two are ROL. Our actual record is 4 wins, 4 losses, 2OTL, and 2 SOL. That is less of a .500 record and more of a losing record in terms of actual winning and possibly projecting it to playoff-type play.

We rank 16th in GF/GP with 2.92. We rank 19th in GA/GP with 3.03 and we rank 30th in SA/GP with 34.2. Comparing that to 'hawk teams since the 2016 season: This team so far ranks 4th in GF/GP--worse than last year so far. This team ranks 4th in GA/GP--worse than last year by a very slim margin, and 5th in SA/GP, only last year was worse.

The goal differential so far is -4. We were -6 last season. Slightly better but there's a ton of hockey left.

Only El Gato and Soderberg have a positive on-ice even strength goal differential, at 2 each. Carpenter, Zaddy, and Beaudin are even. Everyone else has a negative differential--DeHaan being the worst at -8.

Only Kampf is over 50% at the dot at even strength. Chances are we're chasing the puck at even strength unless the 4th line is out.

DeHaan is the worst in the league in turnovers. Keith is 4th worst. They each have 6 takeaways: they're coughing the puck up more then they're taking it back, and being defensemen that means that it'll ead to the opposition posessing it more and getting better chances.
~~~
In other words, they are exactly what I thought they would be in the offseason--except for 1 major caveat: The O is respectable--especially without Toews and Dach. We suck at faceoffs...especially without Toews. Our D is embarrassing but maybe slightly better than last year with Zadorov in and Maata out, but it's not enough to make a dent in better vs. worse. It's still horrible.

Now, to be positive here, there are some good things I'm seeing...starting with the major caveat: Goaltending. Lankinen has great poise and is doing most everything right. He's been thrown to the wolves, but he looks like he belongs and it's his net to lose. Great for rebuilding, but it doesn't make the team better than last year. A lot of the rookies and 2nd/3rd year players are indeed doing well. That is also good. Debrincat looks better. Koob doesn't look like he's slowed down too much and has shown some ability to set guys up. The powerplay looks good and guys tend to be doing things right.

Ultimately though, I don't think this is a team going anywhere. Any team with a good offense is going to give the 'hawks fits (Florida, Tampa, and likely Dallas). Any team with good defense (Tampa, Nashville, likely Dallas) will contain our O. The tale of the tape so far proves this: Tampa held us to to or less, and scored 5 on us. Florida scored 5 on us, and held us to 2 and 4, respectively. Detroit we beat up--holding them to 2 and 1 and scoring 4 and 6. Nashville held us to 2 and 1, respectively, but scored 3 and 2--both required extra time. Columbus was held to 2 and 1, One game that held is to 1, and the other game we got 3. We let Carolina score 4--in one game they held us to 3 and it was a shootout loss, the other we scored 6.

Over the course of the year, I think we might be at worst, a 500 team and at best a bottom 3rd team. While there are many positives, those are long-run rebuilding positives. I doubt the team is a playoff team.

Yes...and there is a new stat I am tracking in hockey around how well you hold a lead. Hockey is similar to soccer in that each goal and the goal differential completely changes the tactics. In basketball you change on trends, or on runs, or big changes....but in hockey or soccer the first goal is huge and the trailing team must decide when to expose themselves to tilt the match in their favor...to risk giving up a goal to pinch numbers forward (in basketball you also pinch numbers toward the end and go for offensive rebounds because the threat of fast break evaporates when they start clock milking).

Last nights win is our best win by far, because they took the lead at least 3 times. However...they also gave up the lead and gave it up quickly and this is a trend I have been observing.

If the 5th team had a chance at a wild card, or our division wasn't so stacked I would have hope. Its as much the division as the team that makes me more excited for a lottery pick than the season against the same 6 teams over and over.

Dallas and Carolina and Colombus and Tampa will have our lunch eventually. Florida might challenge that hierarchy, but we are 3 centers and 2 years of development from that being realistic.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

~~~

great stuff here. Are they slightly better than I thought they would be, yes. Am I ready to call the rebuild a sucess and this the team that is going to put us back on the map... not so much.

gopher72

Liked Posts:

~~~

That's my point. In the words of Jim Mora, "Playoffs? Playoffs?" Before the season began just about everyone on this blog said Detroit would be the only team we could compete against. That all our goalies sucked. And that JC was out of his element in the NHL. This ain't that team and JC ain't that coach! Kudos to all who may have expressed those sentiments and now acknowledge this team is better than expected. I'm enjoying the hell out of watching these guys. Kane is carrying the load. And I can't wait to get Dach and maybe the Captain back too.

PeterG

Da Coach.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They are better than I thought.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
That's my point. In the words of Jim Mora, "Playoffs? Playoffs?" Before the season began just about everyone on this blog said Detroit would be the only team we could compete against. That all our goalies sucked. And that JC was out of his element in the NHL. This ain't that team and JC ain't that coach! Kudos to all who may have expressed those sentiments and now acknowledge this team is better than expected. I'm enjoying the hell out of watching these guys. Kane is carrying the load. And I can't wait to get Dach and maybe the Captain back too.
I don't know why you keep calling this site a "blog" and I know people were saying they were going to be shitty, but I don't know that people were saying they were going to be dead last. As a matter of fact I believe I said the most Blackhawks thing they could do right now would not be shitty enough to get a good draftpick and yet not be good enough to do anything in the playoffs. Which is EXACTLY how they ended last season. I'm not sure why you are trying to get a your back patted so hard for a team not being quite as shitty as they were supposed to be? It's still not like they are great. They are a few standings higher than they should be... hurrah.... The are better than people thought, congrats, that wasn't really a high bar? I still don't see any fututre franchise players on this team, yet. That could change, but I wouldn't pick a single one of them based on anything they do this season. Make them prove it in a real season without a pandemic. All around sports you're seeing teams that have no right being good being good, and vice versa, because of circumstance not necessarily talent. I have actually been more suprised about certain players than the team as a whole. Let's see how they finish the season.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I had the team at 5 wins the entire season, so yea they are exceeding expectations, but let’s put the foot on the break here for a second. There certainly has been some bright spots, but have you watched this team defensively, it’s an albatross back there. Kevin has been better than good shadowing the major blunders that are occurring on a game to game basis. The PP has been outstanding at close to 38%, that won’t continue all season and when that drops to somewhere around the 22% the team better learn how to play defense or all this rah rah rah and applaudIng of the coach and his cronies will come to a direct halt.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I had the team at 5 wins the entire season, so yea they are exceeding expectations, but let’s put the foot on the break here for a second. There certainly has been some bright spots, but have you watched this team defensively, it’s an albatross back there. Kevin has been better than good shadowing the major blunders that are occurring on a game to game basis. The PP has been outstanding at close to 38%, that won’t continue all season and when that drops to somewhere around the 22% the team better learn how to play defense or all this rah rah rah and applaudIng of the coach and his cronies will come to a direct halt.
Yeah, let's not forget this team only has 1 goalie. not even 1 goalie and a bad backup. 1 Goalie. The two backups are unplayable and have combined less than half the minutes of Kevin. And even he has been a bit up and down at 4-4. Like I said before I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the players, but the team itself isn't only marginally better than I thought they would be. Any time you have Kane, you are going to win some games. He always makes everyone around him better. Plenty of guys have got big contracts because of him. It was the Defense and the goaltending that we had to worry about and guess what, that's what we are still worrying about. You did touch on the one thing that has been absolutely shocking for me, the PP.

Bigbarn27

Liked Posts:
Everything I heard was bottom 5 in the league, can that happen heck yes its early. Lank will get tired lots of games in small time window. Props to JC it took him 3 years to scrap his system, but he seems to have a good relationship with 2 and 88 and thats huge. They are fun to watch and in these times that is awesome I didnt think they would be this fun to watch. And lets face it hockey people like a little extra we all come out of our seat when 88 does something but most on this board come out of there seat when 38 works his ass off on the PK. I love watching this team compete, lots more to be figured out 27, Zadorov can u live with all the mistakes. This season will be very weird , should lead to some good discussions a couple weeks before trade deadline. Lets enjoy the good boys, GO HAWKS !