hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Everything I heard was bottom 5 in the league, can that happen heck yes its early. Lank will get tired lots of games in small time window. Props to JC it took him 3 years to scrap his system, but he seems to have a good relationship with 2 and 88 and thats huge. They are fun to watch and in these times that is awesome I didnt think they would be this fun to watch. And lets face it hockey people like a little extra we all come out of our seat when 88 does something but most on this board come out of there seat when 38 works his ass off on the PK. I love watching this team compete, lots more to be figured out 27, Zadorov can u live with all the mistakes. This season will be very weird , should lead to some good discussions a couple weeks before trade deadline. Lets enjoy the good boys, GO HAWKS !
I applaud your enthusiasm, I agree that they are fun to watch and it goes without saying that the team seems to be buying in to JC and what he is selling, for now. Like all Hawks fans, we want to see this team succeed and eventually get back to the promise land, but that is a long way away, and it’s just way to early for the optimism that is surrounding these posts. You can call me a negative Nellie, but I have seen this script before. Lets give the team 25-30 games for a real assessment.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
If the Hawks found a legit goalie in Lankinen, then this season is a win even if they don't win another game.

That's my bottom line opinion.

Kubi isn't a fluke, the guys a top two line player- win

Kurachev is solid- win

What hurts is losing Dach

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Hawks found a legit goalie in Lankinen, then this season is a win even if they don't win another game.

That's my bottom line opinion.

Kubi isn't a fluke, the guys a top two line player- win

Kurachev is solid- win

What hurts is losing Dach

100%

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I must have missed the memo.....who said they were a Cup contender? I said they could make the playoffs and like Hawkimmontreal, I didn't think they'd win in double digits this year. If they were in any other division....no way. But look at the teams in this division. They're not playing anyone else but these teams.....sure, Tampa, Dallas and Carolina are all far better teams but now Carolina has goalie trouble with Mrazek down after thumb surgery. It's gonna be a battle for those last two spots and if Lankenin is the real deal, the Hawks have a shot. The rest of the teams in this Discover division are all mediocre and should something crazy happen like Toews getting healthy....then suddenly the Hawks are a bit better than a couple of those teams.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lankenan has played so well they got confidence and went forward. I am for sure suprised and just wondering how much and when to eat crow on it, because metrically they haven't admitted they suck yet...is more shocking than the scores, being hockey and early still.

Bust

Liked Posts:
I know it's still early but IMHO it's time to recognize that this team is not the one many were hating on before the season began. Led by vets Kane, Cat and Keith, these guys are playing hard and getting points. We've found a goalie. We just took 3 points from a solid contender. And we're doing it without Dach and Toews. Time to give JC and this team their props.

This side of the board just can't enjoy any points or the natural progression of a really young team figuring things out. I thought the Bears side were full of depressed sour puss fans!

*before Cane's series <Hawks haven't played anybody they just got points vs Red Wings, this is the real test here>

*after taking 3 of 4 points from Cane's who came in as the hottest team in the league <Canes have no offense, wait til they play a real team like Florida!> <They not even going to win a cup so who cares they beat Carolina!>

this is the way of the land here gopher72, it will be the same vibe going forward all season! great thread btw!

heh!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Last edited:

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Definitely better than I thought they'd be, but I thought they'd be lucky to crack double digits in wins. Very pleased with Lankinen....in a very small sample size; let's revisit this in April when teams have a chance to study video and dissect his game. Subban and Delia are not and will never be NHL goalies. The power play will come back to earth, but it is a pleasant surprise after what is has been in recent years. The offense is pretty meh even strength. The defense is still an as expected dumpster fire. Mitchell and Beaudin show promise. Keith is serviceable, but not a number 1 anymore. Murphy sucks, Zadarov showing why he was traded, and DeHaan is horrible. Neither Bowman or Colliton deserve any special accolade for anything this team has done.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Seems like everyone is giving the team credit for it's good effort and solid play but the long term good of the NHL franchise in Chicago still requires a few elite youngsters added to it if they're to ever get close to the great achievements of the great core players.
The instant gratification of a few W's(four to be exact) can be exciting but the team said they're rebuilding and that plan can't change every time we see a spurt of good play or it isn't a plan.
Sneaking into another Covid affected postseason with a record around .500 is just more no man's land when there's little if any chance to advance..........sneaking into last year's Covid affected postseason ended up costing the team a 1 in 8 chance of drafting a possible generational talent and it could easily happen again.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lankenan has played so well they got confidence and went forward. I am for sure suprised and just wondering how much and when to eat crow on it, because metrically they haven't admitted they suck yet...is more shocking than the scores, being hockey and early still.
While I am nibbling an appetizer of Crow legs served raw, I thought I should also point out the other marquee German in 2020 draft, Tim Stutzle, taken #3 overall, looks sensational.

He looks like a stud and probably is more "studly" than Racheil(at the least he is more physically mature), but I refer to how hard I was on German hockey as a breeding ground. Stutzle shows things are progressing there as was obvious, but shows there is no limit on a young player with all the tools no matter where they came from.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems like everyone is giving the team credit for it's good effort and solid play but the long term good of the NHL franchise in Chicago still requires a few elite youngsters added to it if they're to ever get close to the great achievements of the great core players.
The instant gratification of a few W's(four to be exact) can be exciting but the team said they're rebuilding and that plan can't change every time we see a spurt of good play or it isn't a plan.
Sneaking into another Covid affected postseason with a record around .500 is just more no man's land when there's little if any chance to advance..........sneaking into last year's Covid affected postseason ended up costing the team a 1 in 8 chance of drafting a possible generational talent and it could easily happen again.
I mean, I still think ten wins could end up a prolonged frustrating challenge, but it gets us out of being noticed for being a historic failure like Detroit has been stuck at for 20 months or more.

Even if this momentum is short lived it showed me something and the expectation should be the Hawks are a hockey franchise and know how to rebound.

I've been a vocal advocate of Stans culture building, and that can pay off in times like this.

You combine that with Kane is on the roster, and basically nobody takes us lightly, everybody not a rival respects us, and I think everyone that loves hockey loves to be on the ice with a few of our guys and that's always cool.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I mean, I still think ten wins could end up a prolonged frustrating challenge, but it gets us out of being noticed for being a historic failure like Detroit has been stuck at for 20 months or more.

Even if this momentum is short lived it showed me something and the expectation should be the Hawks are a hockey franchise and know how to rebound.

I've been a vocal advocate of Stans culture building, and that can pay off in times like this.

You combine that with Kane is on the roster, and basically nobody takes us lightly, everybody not a rival respects us, and I think everyone that loves hockey loves to be on the ice with a few of our guys and that's always cool.
Rasko, you touched on the fact the Hawks are a franchise that knows how to rebound, unfortunately I am in totally disagreement. A franchise that knows how to rebound doesn’t wait 49 years to win a championship, the Achilles heal for this franchise has always been upper management and there lack of vision to see what is not working directly in front of the eyes. They walk the top of the fence and can’t choose what side to fall on, that is the same case presently hindering this team and what has hindered this team now since 2015. Poor trades and mediocre at best drafting has created the burden they are currently in. You can be a vocal advocate of Stan, but let’s face reality Stan and Rocky’s unwillingness to send him and his father packing are the true reason why the Hawks have been building for 5 years now. The nonsigning of CC, not seeing the potential in players like Motte for example who is doing very well in Vancouver, letting TT go, I know they wanted to unload Bickell, but that is another example of why the Hawks are where they are, and let’s not forget Panarin, easily the dumbest move any GM can make. Lessons learned not in Chicago.
Late 80’s to 95, obviously if it weren’t for Mario and Jagr the Hawks might of won a cup then, but the Pens were stacked and the Hawks were smoked. The 70’s were dominated by the Habs, but it was the Hawks and Wirtz who constantly blew there chances and made poor decisions and with Rocky we all thought that would change, I guess he had us all fooled.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rasko, you touched on the fact the Hawks are a franchise that knows how to rebound, unfortunately I am in totally disagreement. A franchise that knows how to rebound doesn’t wait 49 years to win a championship, the Achilles heal for this franchise has always been upper management and there lack of vision to see what is not working directly in front of the eyes. They walk the top of the fence and can’t choose what side to fall on, that is the same case presently hindering this team and what has hindered this team now since 2015. Poor trades and mediocre at best drafting has created the burden they are currently in. You can be a vocal advocate of Stan, but let’s face reality Stan and Rocky’s unwillingness to send him and his father packing are the true reason why the Hawks have been building for 5 years now. The nonsigning of CC, not seeing the potential in players like Motte for example who is doing very well in Vancouver, letting TT go, I know they wanted to unload Bickell, but that is another example of why the Hawks are where they are, and let’s not forget Panarin, easily the dumbest move any GM can make. Lessons learned not in Chicago.
Late 80’s to 95, obviously if it weren’t for Mario and Jagr the Hawks might of won a cup then, but the Pens were stacked and the Hawks were smoked. The 70’s were dominated by the Habs, but it was the Hawks and Wirtz who constantly blew there chances and made poor decisions and with Rocky we all thought that would change, I guess he had us all fooled.
Stan and his father can be great hockey minds and still have a bad run. I didn't hate the 2016 trade, I understood the 2017 trade of Danault.

Seabrook was promised. Panarin/Saad was a debacle.

But I don't disagree with anything you said. The last 5 years have not been optimized...aspects look bad. There is heat and should be heat.

Lets see what happens.

Bigbarn27

Liked Posts:
Bob ill bite on this first if not for Covid this team chances would have been alot less then1 of 8. I belive playing those 2 rounds will pay dividends for Strome Cat and special K. I think it was important for the young group to see how angry 88 and 19 were after Vegas series and were shown how critical every battle is.As far as the plan this year will stay the same trade 13,34, and fingers crossed 44. But there plan is still to make a run with the core. And remember management has 2 things to think about wining and the other is finding people to go to games next year.
Also got a question for you guys just read that Eric Johnson might waive his no trade clause before expansion draft is that even an option ?

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bob ill bite on this first if not for Covid this team chances would have been alot less then1 of 8. I belive playing those 2 rounds will pay dividends for Strome Cat and special K. I think it was important for the young group to see how angry 88 and 19 were after Vegas series and were shown how critical every battle is.As far as the plan this year will stay the same trade 13,34, and fingers crossed 44. But there plan is still to make a run with the core. And remember management has 2 things to think about wining and the other is finding people to go to games next year.
Also got a question for you guys just read that Eric Johnson might waive his no trade clause before expansion draft is that even an option ?
I admire your looking on the bright side of things BB....I really do.......wish I could join ya.
I believe the experience of the postseason(even one we had no business in)can be a good thing for the young guys but I'd take a shot at Lafreniere over it myself.
Maybe 13 and 34 fetch mid round picks but NOBODY'S taking de HAAN's 4.55M for another year.....he's okay but he's worth about half that with a flat cap. He shoulda been bought out so a guy like Carlsson can play every night.
You said "As far as the plan this year will stay the same trade 13,34 and 44" but you also say "But their plan is still to make a run with the core"? Which is it? It just can't be both.
I agree with you,the FO does still want to win and and attract fans when they return and that means they don't have the stomach to get bad enough to get good again.
Eric Johnson's 32 and makes 6M for two more years........is this a move a rebuilding team makes and are we a rebuilding team or not my friend?

Bigbarn27

Liked Posts:
13 and 34 you could resign if you want. maybe 13 decides to come back. Johnson was a Question could Seabrook wavie his no trade so the hawks could protect someone else for expansion draft I didnt even know this was an option. I know im reaching on 44 but im a dreamer. Boys may all your squares come in today. GO HAWKS

Bust

Liked Posts:
I know it's still early but IMHO it's time to recognize that this team is not the one many were hating on before the season began. Led by vets Kane, Cat and Keith, these guys are playing hard and getting points. We've found a goalie. We just took 3 points from a solid contender. And we're doing it without Dach and Toews. Time to give JC and this team their props.

Stars were undefeated at home coming into the game. Who cares the Hawks handed them their first loss! Overrated!! they have no chance to win the cup and can't beat elite teams like Florida anyways!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Granada

Liked Posts:

I'm not ready to crown them yet, but yes, they have exceeded my expectations so far.

Quickly, the biggest things I'm seeing this year compared to last year: the Hawks actually have a decent transition game this year, their passing is light-years better than last year, PP is red-hot, and they're winning more puck battles. Kane, Strome, Kitty, and even Keith have been fantastic offensively.

And one more extremely important thing the Hawks somehow couldn't do last year: they are actually clearing pucks from their zone. Seriously, I don't know why they had such trouble doing this, but they're not anymore, and it's paying dividends.

And, although they were doing this early in this year, they're puck-watching less the last few games. This may all sound fundamental, but the fundamentals were a big part of the problem over the last few seasons.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Let's be real for a moment here. @MassHavoc has a lot of good points.

We have yet to win in overtime.

Ooops

giphy.gif

Bust

Liked Posts:
Let's be real for a moment here. @MassHavoc has a lot of good points.

Ultimately though, I don't think this is a team going anywhere. Any team with a good offense is going to give the 'hawks fits (Florida, Tampa, and likely Dallas).

Ooops!

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's why I said, "Likely". Learn to read.