Can Da Bears DEFENSE get back to elite status again?

HershelBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Purdue Boilermakers
Last season Da Bears DEF was definitely a disappointment. Our defense allowed 31 passing TDs and 14 rushing TDs, allowing almost 4.5 yards per rush. Penalties was the name of the game last year. Missed Tackles (thank you Eddie Jackson!) and blown coverage after blown coverage from our secondary.

The one bright spot on our DEF was D-Line. We had 49 sacks last season, 80 QB hits. Robert Quinn almost had 18.5 sacks alone along with 22 QB hits. Trevis Gibson was second on the team with 7 sacks. The numbers are deceiving, there were so many times we needed to get pressure on the QB/we failed in to come through in games like (Pittsburgh, 49ers, and Ravens).

Khalil Mack only played 7 games last year...now with the Chargers per trade.

Akiem Hicks forgot to show up most of the time, only played 9 games...now with the Tampa Bay

Eddie Goldman was a shell of his old self and gave us nothing...now a FA

In 2021 - we finished 13th in the NFL (based on stats/average statistics from all 32 teams) per Football Outsiders. Teamrankings.com and PFF had us finishing as an average DEF in 2021,

Bears definitely snuck into the top 10 at times in 2021 - We held 5 teams under 20 points and only allowed the Raiders to score 9 and the Giants 3 points.

So what do we expect this season? Can we get back to being Monsters of the Midway?

I could see it happening...I could see us finish as a top 10 unit by the end of the season. If anything a top 15 finish. The secondary could be a bright spot this season! The easier schedule should help. The additions of Kyler Gordon/Jaquan Brisker should help...this new culture Erberflus is creating with the Bears (creating competition at every position, guys flying around/making plays at the ball, guys playing faster) This mentality should improve the overall play of the defense in 2022. These guys definitely want to play for Erberflus/ play with heart!

Full analysis is on my podcast (Small Town Chicago Bears): Start listening at the 42:03-1:26:50 if you just want to hear the DEF portion.

You can find it on Apple/Spotify/Stitcher too.

BearDown

Last edited:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Last season Da Bears DEF was definitely a disappointment. Our defense allowed 31 passing TDs and 14 rushing TDs, allowing almost 4.5 yards per rush. Penalties was the name of the game last year. Missed Tackles (thank you Eddie Jackson!) and blown coverage after blown coverage from our secondary.

The one bright spot on our DEF was D-Line. We had 49 sacks last season, 80 QB hits. Robert Quinn almost had 18.5 sacks alone along with 22 QB hits. Trevis Gibson was second on the team with 7 sacks. The numbers are deceiving, there were so many times we needed to get pressure on the QB/we failed in to come through in games like (Pittsburgh, 49ers, and Ravens).

Akiem Hicks forgot to show up most of the time, only played 9 games...now with the Tampa Bay

In 2021 - we finished 13th in the NFL (based on stats/average statistics from all 32 teams) per Football Outsiders. Teamrankings.com and PFF had us finishing as an average DEF in 2021,

Bears definitely snuck into the top 10 at times in 2021 - We held 5 teams under 20 points and only allowed the Raiders to score 9 and the Giants 3 points.

So what do we expect this season? Can we get back to being Monsters of the Midway?

I could see it happening...I could see us finish as a top 10 unit by the end of the season. If anything a top 15 finish. The secondary could be a bright spot this season! The easier schedule should help. The additions of Kyler Gordon/Jaquan Brisker should help...this new culture Erberflus is creating with the Bears (creating competition at every position, guys flying around/making plays at the ball, guys playing faster) This mentality should improve the overall play of the defense in 2022. These guys definitely want to play for Erberflus/ play with heart!

Full analysis is on my podcast (Small Town Chicago Bears): Start listening at the 42:47-1:27:37 if you just want to hear the DEF portion.

BearDown
I don’t expect the defense to be good early on, since they will be adjusting to a new scheme and having 2 rookies starting in the secondary. But by late in the season, barring key injuries? I think the can be solid, if not good…

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
turnovers

nothing

else

matters

Too aggressive.

Based on too much data.

What we need is bend-don't-break.

You just keep bending until you then break and give up the TD or you just break and give up the TD.

This is how DEFENSE is done, kiddo.

You vaguely defend until you lose.

Its been done that way in Chicago for 30+ years and it upsets me greatly you'd upset such a wonderful applecart.

Pardon me, I need to go buy another 28$ Miller Lite.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the offense has as good of a chance at becoming elite as the defense does. The defense is very much in rebuild mode and there are serious holes starting with the DL, plus question marks as they transition back to a 4-3. This defense won't be able to carry the team like so many Bears fans are used to.

napo55

Liked Posts:
If the offense is as bad as expected, there will be huge pressure on the defense--- and we know how that goes.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don’t expect the defense to be good early on, since they will be adjusting to a new scheme and having 2 rookies starting in the secondary. But by late in the season, barring key injuries? I think the can be solid, if not good…
You've said the Bears will win 11 games. You think they're going to do that with a defense that wont be good early on even though they have a more proven roster and coaching on the defensive side of the ball?

I'd like to know more about how you think they're getting to 11 wins if you think their D can be solid to good but not early on. Thank you.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think the bears have zero pass rush this year which will make the entire D look like shit regardless of if they improved or not.

Basically I think the secondary will be improved but we might not really see it if QBs have all day to throw on them

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Shocking that @Visionman conveniently has me on ignore again. Weird how that always happens when he's pressed on anything.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
You've said the Bears will win 11 games. You think they're going to do that with a defense that wont be good early on even though they have a more proven roster and coaching on the defensive side of the ball?

I'd like to know more about how you think they're getting to 11 wins if you think their D can be solid to good but not early on. Thank you.
I said the Bears COULD win that many if everything goes right. I said they will likely be around 9-8. So close…

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I said the Bears COULD win that many if everything goes right. I said they will likely be around 9-8. So close…
ahh so a liar and now cowering behind "COULD". also proving you dont have me on ignore. Thank you!

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Full analysis is on my podcast (Small Town Chicago Bears): Start listening at the 42:03-1:26:50 if you just want to hear the DEF portion.

BearDown
It’s the question of the year.

The offense I know is going to blow games, get penalties, and be weirdly dangerous at times…probably most so late in games with nothing left to lose Fields can just be a joystick and get things done.

I know that part will be a circus for 1 more year. It’s been 35 years Barnum and Bailey, I can wait one more.

But I think the defensive transition of the failed transition from regime and scheme will be what makes this year dark and purely a learning year for offense.

Quinn will get traded by deadline and it will get even worse.

Just because the guys you mentioned on defense gave us nothing doesn’t mean they were replaced. We needed those guys to be stars to be any good.

This could get very ugly and is a construction job not a remodel.

We starting over. Expect a top 5 pick for 1 or 2 years, and pray to god the Fields doesn’t walk to Cleveland.

I see bad, ugly, scary, darkness, poison, pain, and death in the tea leaves.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
HC is a defensive guy, so there is like a 99% chance they build around the defense and play a style that’s beneficial to defenses. So yes. They may start slow because it’s a new scheme and the staff is new, but the organization is going back to old Bears defensive football with this HC hiring. Grinding out wins.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Without a good 3 technique, the 4-3 can get exposed, and we don't have one.....They tried, but I'm glad they backed out of the contract after he failed the physical.

The starters you mentioned were replaced by back-ups other than Quinn, and there is little chance that he will be able to repeat (assuming he is not traded).