Can this OL be "fixed" in one offseason?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Trade back in the second and get an extra 6th and 7th rd pick. Then use all the 6th and 7th rd picks on OL.

#fixedit
#easy
This is essentially what Pace has done his entire career here in Chicago lol.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don't expect us to bring in 5 new OL next season. That's unreasonable. But is it too much to ask for 2-3 new players to improve the OL? Between free agency and the draft we should be able to upgrade 2 positions on the OL.

I'm not a salary cap guru, but there are a number OL available in 2021 free agency that we should look at--specifically interior OL because they're cheaper than tackles. Some options are: Joe Thuney, Forrest Lamp, Dan Feeny, Jon Feliciano and Brandon Scherff. All are under 30 years old.

I think the draft is where we address our tackle needs. I think we go QB round one, but it's a must we take a tackle in round 2. Some guys that may be there for us in round 2 are: Jalen Mayfield, Jackson Carman and Sam Cosmi. I wouldn't be surprised if we took a second OL in rounds 3-5 either. Not gonna list more names here, but you get the idea. We need a major upgrade of talent along the OL

With a free agent signing and one or two draft pics we could overhaul the OL in one offseason.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk.

You can get the personnel to fix it but it will take time for those 5 guys to learn how to play with the others on each side of them. I think the o-line more than any other position needs to mesh together as one unit.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Replace the right side, unless your go OL in round 1, then you can replace Leno.

More than likely we go QB in round 1, and replace RG and RT.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I say yes....not in the sense that they become good...but decent, when the find a coach with a more traditional style...all these stunts, twists, athletic requiring and one on one's are schemes not many can handle.

Its why year one with Howard, a lot of power run game, straight out and fire(they seemed decent). Nagy has ruined all talent and his scheme is a joke for the type of players we have.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
fear not. according to biggs this morning, the OL will be reshuffled this week. Problem solved!

LT Leno
LG Whitehair
C Mustipher
RG Ifedi
RT Bars

Coward off the field is a step in the right direction. Too bad it only took 1 1/2 years to figure that out. Fucking clowns man.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
fear not. according to biggs this morning, the OL will be reshuffled this week. Problem solved!

LT Leno
LG Whitehair
C Mustipher
RG Ifedi
RT Bars
Of what we actually have this about the best we can do. Really interested to see what Bars can do at RT, if he can have a strong finish the season the road to fixing this offensive line gets much easier.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
This team likely won’t be in the financial position to be pursuing big names like Scherff and Thuney, so they’ll need to be looking at smaller names. The free agent market at guard doesn’t look great right now, so maybe they look to move Whitehair to guard and pursue Blythe or Roullier to fill the vacancy at center. Another option is to draft an interior guy on Day 2 and go from there.

At tackle, it could get interesting. If the top 4 QBs are gone by the time we pick, I say we take Darrisaw. If you take a 1st round tackle, do you cut Leno and start the rookie there? Or cut Massie and begin there? I think if they take one in the 2nd or later, then it’s probably best that they start at RT and go from there. As much as I’d like to see this team save money and start fresh at the bookends, I can’t see them starting two rookies in week 1.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
This team likely won’t be in the financial position to be pursuing big names like Scherff and Thuney, so they’ll need to be looking at smaller names. The free agent market at guard doesn’t look great right now, so maybe they look to move Whitehair to guard and pursue Blythe or Roullier to fill the vacancy at center. Another option is to draft an interior guy on Day 2 and go from there.

At tackle, it could get interesting. If the top 4 QBs are gone by the time we pick, I say we take Darrisaw. If you take a 1st round tackle, do you cut Leno and start the rookie there? Or cut Massie and begin there? I think if they take one in the 2nd or later, then it’s probably best that they start at RT and go from there. As much as I’d like to see this team save money and start fresh at the bookends, I can’t see them starting two rookies in week 1.

Free agency is before the draft, so the decision between Massie or Leno would have to be made before you know who you're drafting.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Hell yes, but not by Pace and Nagy. they just don't get offense, even a little. I would not use a first round pick to draft O' linemen. I would move down in the draft and stockpile picks. I would draft two O' linemen in the second and third rounds (no matter how good they look O' linemen are a crapshoot), then I would bring in two free agents ,who are solid players, by the end of next season, the new coach will have a solid O' line. The Bears fans sometimes take their defense for granted, they have a very good D' line, that is why they have a good defense. Invest in your lines to have a successful team.

ErinAndrewsPeephole

Liked Posts:
They can get to a competent level in 1 year. Anything more than that would be a two-year commitment, mostly in draft capital.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Of what we actually have this about the best we can do. Really interested to see what Bars can do at RT, if he can have a strong finish the season the road to fixing this offensive line gets much easier.
I completely agree about trying Bars at RT. Fuck it, the line can’t get much worse. He has the size and length to play the position, and has experience playing it. See what you have there the rest of the season.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yes it can be fixed. Problem is it will be at the expense of other positions

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Yes it can be fixed. Problem is it will be at the expense of other positions
This is how a salary cap league works though. This past off-season other positions were addressed at the expense of the offensive line. Round and round we go. This dilemma applies to every team in the league in one way or another, not just the Bears.

This is where drafting becomes such an important skill and its why you have to be extremely wary of letting Ryan Pace walk. There aren't many GM's who can draft like he does.

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Even if you get the line to know their assignments it’d be a monumental leap.

Huge difference between a bad blocker and not even knowing who you’re meant to block.

Liked Posts:
I don't expect us to bring in 5 new OL next season. That's unreasonable. But is it too much to ask for 2-3 new players to improve the OL? Between free agency and the draft we should be able to upgrade 2 positions on the OL.

I'm not a salary cap guru, but there are a number OL available in 2021 free agency that we should look at--specifically interior OL because they're cheaper than tackles. Some options are: Joe Thuney, Forrest Lamp, Dan Feeny, Jon Feliciano and Brandon Scherff. All are under 30 years old.

I think the draft is where we address our tackle needs. I think we go QB round one, but it's a must we take a tackle in round 2. Some guys that may be there for us in round 2 are: Jalen Mayfield, Jackson Carman and Sam Cosmi. I wouldn't be surprised if we took a second OL in rounds 3-5 either. Not gonna list more names here, but you get the idea. We need a major upgrade of talent along the OL

With a free agent signing and one or two draft pics we could overhaul the OL in one offseason.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk.
Hell NO. Need two tackles. Need an o-line coach, OC, play caller, and HC to figure out where to play Whitehair and Daniels. Then need another interior linemen. Then mesh 3 new guys with Whitehair/Daniels... Not alone having a new QB, no A Rob...