Can we stop acting like Pagano is the major issue on defense?

msadows

Liked Posts:
Who chose Danny T over Kwia? You defended that decision when people told you it should have been Kwia.

Pace, and yes, I blame him for it.

I'm not sure if I defended it. I didn't mind kwiat. All I said is i'd rather get Danny T if he's cheaper and healthy.

I didn't expect his play to drop off as poorly as it has. It's all due to athleticism. He has none anymore.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Which NFL team did you play for?

None, but I'm not the one scapegoating an NFL DC when he has major holes all over the defense.

I don't think pagano is good. I don't care if he stays or goes, I just don't think any coach would make a significant different in how this unit is performing this year.

You simply can't run a good 3-4 with a terrible athlete at ILB, a guy who gets no pressure at strongside linebacker, no nose tackle, and a bunch of backup rookies playing cornerback....

msadows

Liked Posts:
I wanted to keep KPL over all of them for the prospect of having a really fast and explosive duo on the cheap.

KPL wasn't bad. I'm upset we didn't keep him because he came cheap.

I understood letting kwiat go considering Danny T is a leader in the locker room. I didn't anticipate danny to have such a drastic decline in his athleticism. He's a massive liability in coverage now, and he gets soaked up by linemen all the time because we don't have the bodies in front of him to keep those guard off the second level.

Kwiat/KPL would have def been better for us this year....but hey, who would have thunk floyd would have been a better signing than quinn at this time last year?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
None, but I'm not the one scapegoating an NFL DC when he has major holes all over the defense.

I don't think pagano is good. I don't care if he stays or goes, I just don't think any coach would make a significant different in how this unit is performing this year.

You simply can't run a good 3-4 with a terrible athlete at ILB, a guy who gets no pressure at strongside linebacker, no nose tackle, and a bunch of backup rookies playing cornerback....

But you are the one trying to tell us Mack didnt deserve an All Pro bid. Your arguments are so hypocritical.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pace, and yes, I blame him for it.

I'm not sure if I defended it. I didn't mind kwiat. All I said is i'd rather get Danny T if he's cheaper and healthy.

I didn't expect his play to drop off as poorly as it has. It's all due to athleticism. He has none anymore.

So you think Pagano had no input on whoch one he preferred given Kwia ended up cheaper?

msadows

Liked Posts:
But you are the one trying to tell us Mack didnt deserve an All Pro bid. Your arguments are so hypocritical.

I mean, not that he didn't, but if he deserved one this year he deserved one last year.

It's arguably the worst year of his career. Thats all I really argued. All Pro can be a popularity contest too. Thats what happens when the AP votes on something.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Yea, keep thinking that.

How is he going to adjust to eddie jackson not knowing how to cover a tight end or danny T being slow as fuck?

How about adjust for not having a true nose tackle on the team? Can he gain 300 pounds and go out there himself?

Pagano isn't a great coach, but the major issue with this unit is players and not scheme. They are not playing well.
Plenty of options other than Eddie Jackson. Maybe Jackson is better roaming deep in the secondary. Danny T has actually played considerably better outside of those first few games when he looked washed, there's no excuse for him being stuck 1 on 1 with a deep threat receiver. Nobody should expect him to hold up in that situation. Goldman can't be replaced. But big bodies like Mccullers and Jenkins are certainly better options than Nichols out of place. Playing soft 10 yard off coverage isn't helping anyone on the defense btw.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I don’t think anybody is acting. He is a major reason.

msadows

Liked Posts:
So you think Pagano had no input on whoch one he preferred given Kwia ended up cheaper?

No idea, don't care at this point. I'm not working for the bears and I didn't expect danny to look over the hill this year. I'm sure the majority of this board didn't either.

I had no issue keeping kwiat, I've always liked him. You can check my post history. I just figured danny would come back healthy and play how he did in 2018. He has not. He's played awful and its all due to him losing a step. Terrible signing.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Plenty of options other than Eddie Jackson. Maybe Jackson is better roaming deep in the secondary. Danny T has actually played considerably better outside of those first few games when he looked washed, there's no excuse for him being stuck 1 on 1 with a deep threat receiver. Nobody should expect him to hold up in that situation. Goldman can't be replaced. But big bodies like Mccullers and Jenkins are certainly better options than Nichols out of place. Playing soft 10 yard off coverage isn't helping anyone on the defense btw.

We played the same 10 yard off coverage with fangio.....

I agree with all your points besides jackson. He has been awful. It's not just scheme, he can't cover guys 1v1. It's sad to watch.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:

I agree with all your points besides jackson. He has been awful. It's not just scheme, he can't cover guys 1v1. It's sad to watch.
The frequency was much lower and in reality we ran far more cover 1 and 3 and Fuller would be the only one playing off coverage on the regular. Pags has been running a ton of cover two.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

Fangio mixed coverages and looks and made things difficult for qbs to read though. I believe he did play more press with prince too, as prince excelled with press coverage

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I mean, not that he didn't, but if he deserved one this year he deserved one last year.

It's arguably the worst year of his career. Thats all I really argued. All Pro can be a popularity contest too. Thats what happens when the AP votes on something.

But you never played in NFL so like you said you just a meatball then.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

No Fuller did. Prince was more of a press CB. Fangio pressed with Prince and had Fuller play off.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
But you never played in NFL so like you said you just a meatball then.
Just wondering what does PFF show as macks pressures the last couple years? Seems weird he actually was about the same in sacks this year but down so far in pressures. Also I dont believe for a second he had less than 2 pressures a game. Against Tampa he was in Brady face the entire second half

msadows

Liked Posts:
No Fuller did. Prince was more of a press CB. Fangio pressed with Prince and had Fuller play off.

Yea, just like how Pagano did with prince....and how Pagano is doing with jaylon...

We drafted JJ in large part because how he can play up in man coverage.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Just wondering what does PFF show as macks pressures the last couple years? Seems weird he actually was about the same in sacks this year but down so far in pressures. Also I dont believe for a second he had less than 2 pressures a game. Against Tampa he was in Brady face the entire second half

Well it doesn't help your stat line when you have a game where you goose egg every single category.

Guess that ones on pagano too tho.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yea, just like how Pagano did with prince....and how Pagano is doing with jaylon...

We drafted JJ in large part because how he can play up in man coverage.

Fangio disguised his D better.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

He was 6th in pressures at Edge with 57. MsAddows is using dubious pressure numbers from PFR that are much lower than PFF numbers as well as inconsistent with other metrics and the reality if you watched the games.