CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Question for all of you car guys, which I am most certainly not.

I've been having issues with my gas indicator. The range setting, and even the level read keeps shooting up and down. It's a digital display. Beyond that, it feels like my car is dragging. Any thoughts?

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm not a real wrench turner either, but i imagine year, make, model might be pertinent information needed here

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
80,000 miles is about 47 trips between Chicago and Tucson.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I had that problem with a fuel gauge once. Duct tape came in handy. I just covered the gauge.

I think Urblock nailed it.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Elec ground problem with the fuel pump or gauge sending unit. Probably the pump.

You are probably right that is is a connection problem.

You can take it to an auto zone and have them read the codes from the data port.

Depending on where the computer is seeing the fluctuation, there can be multiple codes on where the variation is.

Get the list of codes the car is throwing and Google them with your cars make and model- you may find it is a plug and play fix. Something you can order through Summitt auto and do yourself. They usually have detailed job guides for every part.

If it is the pump or sending unit though, take it in... they are inside the tank.
When you take it in, make sure you use up most of the gas.
Repairs like that require the tank to be drained, and they will not put the fuel back.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Great place to start indeed.

Hyundais have a notorious problem with the fuel sender floats failing. IIRC you can access it through the trunk and isn't the worst thing to replace if you wanted to watch a video and try a DIY.

On another note, something about 2002-2009ish era of cars and way beyond normal rate of grounding failures. Even if you don't trip something, it's just amazing how many vehicles built in this period see some noticeable improvement in some layer of performance with an improved ground connection.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Elec ground problem with the fuel pump or gauge sending unit. Probably the pump.

Seconded. Fuel Pump and Fuel pump sensor. Also check fuel inertia switch and relay before going too far with mechanic.

I had a Ford that a passenger accidently hit the inertia cut off switch underneath passenger dash somehow.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
2011 Hyundai Tuscon, 80,000 miles

What Urblock said, but also that is right around the range when timing belts start slipping as well. I would make sure that your particular vehicle is either A: on a timing chain, or B: replace it if it is past its mileage and a timing belt.

I only say this because I was helping a buddy several years ago at his shop and I think there was like 3 Hyundai's in a row that tossed their timing belts right near the required replacement mileage and bricked the engines. If I remember correctly two of them were Santa Fe's but I am not sure what the third was.