Carlos Gonzalez agrees to minor league deal. Not confirmed yet.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

Can't be worse than Adduci or Zagunis.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm kinda indifferent ATM.

Last edited:

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I THINK I SAW THIS GUY WHEN I WAS SIGNING UP AT THE MEDICARE OFFICE

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I'm fine with it. Low-risk, high-reward.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cargo Was pumped up by Col for sure.

This is my take: They are doing this to push him to RF and Heyward to CF. DRS LF 4. RF 1 CF has not played sense 2011.

But it is pointless to sign him to play LF when Schwarber is already there. So this is more about adding a LH bat.

wRC+ 49 (117 AB). But at AAA he was at 165 in 29 AB.

So the whole Iowa and push him to RF kinda works. See where it takes them.

But a potential line up:

Schwarber LF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Baez SS
Cargo RF
Contreras C
Heyward CF
Russell 2B

It plays up the whole L/R thing and pushes him in between Baez and Contreras.

But it really comes down to production in Iowa. He keeps up the .348/.483/.522 then you could expect a decent line with regression vs the higher level.

I honestly feel this might be to push Happ also. See if he responds. Having a legit threat to a roster spot might lite a fire under his ass.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
More from that post:

By all accounts, Gonzalez was a positive presence in the clubhouse for the Tribe, but his diminished production on the field forced the team's hand, leading to his release on May 26. Cleveland wanted to go with a younger group, including 24-year-old rookie outfielder Oscar Mercado. The Indians had hoped Gonzalez would provide an impact bat against right-handed pitching, but he posted a .626 OPS against righties after having an .828 mark in '18.

The Cubs are hoping there is nowhere to go but up for Gonzalez, who hit .276 with 16 homers, 32 doubles, 71 runs, a .796 OPS and 96 wRC+ in his 10th season with the Rockies last year.

The last bench spot for Chicago currently belongs to Jim Adduci, who took over for Mark Zagunis after the Cubs optioned him to Triple-A on Saturday to get the outfielder more regular at-bats. Adding Gonzalez also provides a layer of depth as Chicago continues to monitor the offensive-approach progress by Ian Happ at Triple-A. Signing Gonzalez also comes as the Cubs are unsure when or if Ben Zobrist (on MLB's restricted list while tending to a family situation) will return this season.
In 117 plate appearances for the Indians this year, Gonzalez hit .210 with a .558 OPS. Per Statcast, his average exit velocity dropped to 86.6 mph in 2019, compared to 89.4 in '18. Gonzalez's swinging-strike rate also climbed to 17 percent (up from 14.8 percent in '18). A major issue for the veteran outfielder was hitting a surplus of grounders. His average launch angle dropped to -0.5 degrees (down from 8.9 degrees in '18) and his ground-ball rate soared to 58.3 percent (well above his career rate of 46.1 percent).

Chicago's outfield includes a versatile group of players, but the primary setup has been Kyle Schwarber in left field, Albert Almora Jr. in center and Jason Heyward in right. When Heyward fills in as the center fielder, Kris Bryant often fills in at the corner spots. On Sunday, though, Bryant and Heyward collided on a play in right-center field, forcing Bryant to miss two games against Houston. With Gonzalez in the fold, Maddon should have more flexibility to leave Bryant at third base.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He is not in Iowa's line up tonight.

Dewees LF .820 OPS
Field RF ..828 OPS
Happ CF .781 OPS
Evans 3B .846 OPS
Garcia 1B .908 OPS
Zagunis DH .625 OPS
Davis C .823 OPS
Giambrone 2B .718 OPS
Vazquez SS 1 AB by the 19 YO. He is youngest guy sense Zambrano at Iowa.

I would personally send him to Azl and fix his swing. The exit velocity and increased GB rate needs to be addressed before they lock him into action. After he gets that sorted then get him into live action at Iowa in RF. Field can go to LF. Dewees has regressed to his career normal production. Not really worth the start anymore.

Last edited:

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Would have liked Matt Kemp more due to the platoon potential. He’s better than Aducci or Zagunis so there’s that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Would have liked Matt Kemp more due to the platoon potential. He’s better than Aducci or Zagunis so there’s that.

Line up is stronger from the R. When you have to hit a inept Descanasio just to add a left bat there is a core issue.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Its hard for me to realize this is the same guy from colorado. Takes me in the way way back machine when the cubs signed the wrong guzman after Juan had a massive playoff run with Toronto, the cubs signed Jose real quick like in December.

Being that he is the real Cargo, this could be huge. He is a couple years away from being told he was the face of the rockie franchise to we dont believe in you anymore.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Its hard for me to realize this is the same guy from colorado. Takes me in the way way back machine when the cubs signed the wrong guzman after Juan had a massive playoff run with Toronto, the cubs signed Jose real quick like in December.

Being that he is the real Cargo, this could be huge. He is a couple years away from being told he was the face of the rockie franchise to we dont believe in you anymore.

I normally take production in Denver with a grain of salt.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
On the plus side, it does seem like CarGo always killed it when he came to Wrigley. So there's that.

I hope he gets some big league time with Cubs. He's still a former all star, so there's some hope.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
On the plus side, it does seem like CarGo always killed it when he came to Wrigley. So there's that.

I hope he gets some big league time with Cubs. He's still a former all star, so there's some hope.
Well, .320 .343 at coors
.250 .308 away, lots more power numbers at home.

I just think the dude got his head messed up when nobody chased after him and the rockies let him walk.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I like it. Like the poster above mentioned, anything is better than Zagunis right now. Extra bat and decent fielding for his age.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I like it. Like the poster above mentioned, anything is better than Zagunis right now. Extra bat and decent fielding for his age.

What the report was saying it has the feel of covering their Ass with Zo

Zo was the 4th OF and Bryant started to fill in after Zo went to the restricted list.

Bryant gets into a collision and the red flags popped up on that solution.

So I'm taking this for what it is. They can not commit to a impact signing so they are taking a flyer. They are looking for major league experience over minor league quality talent. That is why zag was never a answer. That is why they didn't move Bote or Descanasio to the OF to support.

I think that they will get their hitting guru's together with Cargo and tune up his swing in Iowa then let Joe work with him when he promotes.

I'm really not concerned with this deal honestly. There is no commitment and with what they have done with the hitters this year it is really likely that they will fix him.

If not he is not fixable.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Knew it. First day 0-4. 2nd day 2-4 with a HR. They were just waiting for that big hit

Funny I even predicted between Baez and Contreras for protection.

This maybe a staple vs right.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Also interesting is Minn is tossing their hat on both Dallas and Kimbrol. Seems they like Kimbrol more if they have to choose.

This will become a hot bed topic now. I don't see the Cubs offering more than 9 on a 1 year. Which puts them in a disadvantage. But if they do a multi pushed back to the following years then they might be at advantage. They can opt out on Morrow and Strop is off the books then. The savings will be there.