Carolina Panthers 2024 Tracking Thread

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I can't wait til you move the goalposts onto another field to prop up your ego's need to be right when this season comes around.

Fields acknowledged his need to get better at taking what the defense gives him. He's used to extending plays and going deep cause his and his team's talent level was always that much better than his opponents in college (and before) so he could get away with hitting guys deep who had 5 steps on their man. He gets to the NFL and his talent level around him is worse than maybe even his college teams were and definitely worse than most of his opponents. What you need in order to excel in the short to intermediate passing game more than anything is good route runners who can get open consistently. Fields hasn't had that beyond Mooney, but still, he definitely needs to get better there, no doubt. Learning what "NFL open" means and throwing to a spot. Recognizing when the blitz is coming and hitting the hot read, etc etc. Again, Fields himself has acknowledged his need to get better there.

I think he will, without a doubt. I'm not expecting Tom Brady here but good enough. His game will never be to pick you apart with timing passes all over the field, he just needs to be good enough there. Where he'll kill teams is in the run game where his threat to run will make things easier for his running backs, using his own feet to keep defenses off balance and his ability to extend plays and hit the deep passes. Poles has given him everything he needs to do just that, so at least for me, there's no excuses this year for Justin. We'll see what happens.
Good on target post.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I have zero doubt he'll get better. How much so? That remains to be seen. If your qualification here seems to be "Drew Brees/Tom Brady" level then yea, of course you'll be right. Fields will never be that guy, which is what i acknowledged above. He'll definitely get better though.
Depending on how you measure JF against Brady & Brees, I think he going to be elite and one of the 4-8 best QB's
in the "current" NFL. Will he won 6 or so SB's or retire the all time passing leader in several categories? No.
Can he win 1-2 SB's and be a regular pro bowl or all pro? Absolutely!

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
They had the best coach of all time, went from 7-9 (with a decent bit of players sitting out due to COVID) to 10-7, Steelers went from 9-7-1 to 9-8.

Those teams weren't clear bottom feeders like the Panthers have been. They've averaged 6 wins since 2018.

I ignore you because you're pretty clearly purposely disingenuous with your arguments in order to stir up arguments. There's an element of fandom that roots for the best possible outcome that people find fun - you seem to just enjoy being the contrarian to that. The Panthers have sucked for a minute, rookie QBs have historically struggled to elevate bad teams as rookies and the Bears stand to benefit from those things holding true and I personally will root for that little motherfucker to struggle like hell because I want Marvin Harrison Jr to be a Bear from this pick.
Can't understand why you and others don't just ignore Montucky, he just wants to argue and you can't have an intelligent interaction with him.
Weird guy for sure, must lead a miserable life.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Depending on how you measure JF against Brady & Brees, I think he going to be elite and one of the 4-8 best QB's
in the "current" NFL. Will he won 6 or so SB's or retire the all time passing leader in several categories? No.
Can he win 1-2 SB's and be a regular pro bowl or all pro? Absolutely!
I'm quite high on Fields so i think he can do that too. Not just because he's a bears QB but he's the only guy i wanted in the draft other than Lawrence. He's got the "it" factor. The leadership, determination, work ethic, desire to be great and get better. He's the last person I would question about doing what's necessary to get better and help his team win.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I just wonder how good Miles Sanders really is. Dude had it all going for him in Philly and will downgrade big time in supporting cast. Not that Chuba Hubbard or D'onta Foreman are better, I just don't think Sanders is someone you're overly worried about as a defense, especially with Dalton at QB.

Then you've got an over the hill Theilen, oft-injured Chark, rookie in Mingo and journeyman Hurst at TE. Other than their Oline there's nothing scary here for defenses to account for.
I agree, I think they will faceplant. Miles Sanders had his carries reduced all last year especially in the playoffs, not winner behind that OL in Philly.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Panther overall tale
Just some quick stats. Carolina was 7-10 . They weren't a good team, and that was in a shitty division. The division winner was 8-9.

Pop quiz: the Bears or the Panthers had more yards of offense in 2022? Answer: the Bears. The Panthers were 29th in total offense, Bears were 28th. The Bears were better in yards per play as well. We scored more offensive touchdowns. Everyone here universally recognizes that we needed big upgrades on offense. How exactly are the Panthers supposed to be good offensively? What have they done to significantly improve the roster right away assuming Young has the usual rookie QB growing pains? Andy Dalton? Is Sanders a big upgrade at RB? Is Mingo/Thielen/Chark enough to make up for the loss of D.J. Moore? Hayden Hurst?

Defensively, the Panthers were 22nd in yardage defense, 23rd against the pass and 18th against the run. They allowed only 400 less yards on the year than our shitty defense. They were 27th in takeaways. 15th in yards per play. 25th in sacks. This is theortically with the help of that shitty division as well. So how exactly do the Panthers have a good defense? What big additions did they make there this offseason exactly? Von Bell and Shy Tuttle? They're also switching to a 3-4 which is an adjustment.
The Panthers overall talent actually went down over last year. They're toast and will squeeze out a couple of wins against bad teams in their division but not much beyond that.

Moses Moreno

Liked Posts:

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
panthers have a chance to do well this season my guess is at worst they are 5-12 and at their best end up 7-10 assuming young is healthy all season.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I am just looking at what has been successful in the past. That's it.

When? With what team?
Certainly not the Bears. Papa Bear didn't go defense at the exclusion of offense. '85 was a balanced team.

Steelers are known as a defensive team but not to the exclusion of offense. The years the Ravens won Super Bowls they either drafted heavy offense or drafted balanced.

With Pace and since Poles the Bears have been heavy defense and you're not happy so the only thing that could make you happy is no offense. That has never worked.

BBBF

Liked Posts:
He's struggled to stay healthy so far in his career. To think they passed on Justin Fields for that fragile CB only to trade their best offensive weapon + multiple picks for the tiniest mother fucker they could find to play the QB position.
It'd be awesome if they could sign tarik cohen and put together a miniature team.

Moses Moreno

Liked Posts:
The other recent thread got weird

Those stupid short throws reminded me of the worst of Nagy, they've got no running game to rely on, Bryce is too fuckin small, their WRs suck and the OL looked like crap. That team has high dumpster fire potential.

Carr looked good and Michael Thomas played for the Saints. That division should be the Saints going away.

mecha

Liked Posts:
The other recent thread got weird

Those stupid short throws reminded me of the worst of Nagy, they've got no running game to rely on, Bryce is too fuckin small, their WRs suck and the OL looked like crap. That team has high dumpster fire potential.

Carr looked good and Michael Thomas played for the Saints. That division should be the Saints going away.
I already tore my cock off.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they stay healthy they have a better than average offensive line. Adam Thielen was only a hundred yards worse than DJ Moore last year and Theilen spent most of the year as a third option after the TJ Hockenson trade. Its a definite downgrade, but not massively.

They still have a lot of draft picks. I don't think they're worried.
You are an idiot.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
I'm down here in SC and I can attest that it is Fuggin hot today!

Bro write back when the heat index is above 105 for like 4 fucking weeks straight. SoFla fo lyfe!!