2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
That’s all fine and dandy but there’s seriously a concerning amount of talent on the offensive line. Good coaching can only get so far just like talent can only get so far. Having talent depletions at key positions is what you get when you have a GM who trades up constantly in the name of conviction.
The OL was not nearly as horrible in 2018. The fundamentals broke down badly last year. Look at the all-22 coach's film and you see how terrible the fundamentals were. Clean that up and we have an average OL. That in turn helps Mitch/Foles and the running game.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The OL was not nearly as horrible in 2018.

They were not a lot better either and it may have showed if Trubisky was not doing a far better job of disguising it with his legs than he did in 2019. The run blocking has especially been a joke since HH took over the unit.

I said it from the moment news broke of the hire, two things are going to make the OL much better going forward.

Hiring Castillo.

Firing Kyle Long.

#bookit

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Which is fine inside of the thread, but keep your thread title more accurate. Especially when the title literally says a coach said something.

Based on the above posts, I edited the title for clarity.
I've knocked you and other mods before. But you and Nvan have stepped up your game and it is starting to show. It's nice to see and if it continues I will then feel this place is worth donating to.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
damn. I was being obviously facetious.
point is Castillo is going back to the basics, which is exactly what this OL needs. Any play will fail immediately without good technique from OL.

Well I think what they need is talent but yes technique would be a close second. And by talent I don't mean failed NFL 1st round draft picks who allegedly had talent coming out of college but actual talent proven at the NFL level.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've knocked you and other mods before. But you and Nvan have stepped up your game and it is starting to show. It's nice to see and if it continues I will then feel this place is worth donating to.

To be fair, I've probably knocked you and countless other posters before. It makes this place the wonderfully demented place that it is.

Also, I think being a moderator is not the same thing to all people.

I got no problem using my mod powers to edit misleading thread titles, merge duplicate threads and flush out genuine spam accounts or using my free time to just kill it with the IGTs. I totally signed up for that.

Just don't bore me with tales of "troll crews". No one needs mod powers to use the ignore feature.

Unless you want to donate to my PayPal account instead...I can totally be bought for straight cash hommie.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Castillo is our only hope that this O-line and Offense are going to be any good.

A lot of it falls there, but so does Nagy's play calling.

bareness

Liked Posts:
In simple terms I’m really only confident in Whitehair. Leno had a good year in 2018 and has been mediocre other years and was horrible last season. 2018 could be a fluke. James Daniels was horrendous at center last season and improved a bit at guard but he gets overpowered fairly easily and still hasn’t shown enough to have me think he’s part of the OL for the future. I don’t really have to say much about Ifedi / Coward as both are uninspiring for obvious reasons. Massie is just a guy out there. He’s solid at times and horrendous at others and overall a liability out there.
They are reporting that Daniels has added ten pounds of muscle this offseason so this should improve his strength on the line.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
A lot of it falls there, but so does Nagy's play calling.
I do know that play calling strategy does play into, but The point that Castillo was making is that if you do not execute the play as designed, it does not matter if it is the perfect play for the perfect situation, you are still not going to be successful. However, if the worst play call is executed correctly it still has a chance to be successful....

Like Bill, says, do you job, and do it well.

mecha

Liked Posts:
this is some "organizations win championships" shit. so like sign me up. the offensive line was passably decent in 2018, and I swear when Long when out it got very bad, quick. it's a chicken or egg argument, is it Nagy? is it the players? I don't know, why not both?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Castillo is our only hope that this O-line and Offense are going to be any good.

What about genius and mother of invention Matt Nagy, who Andy Reid said is the most HC ready protege he’s ever had? Surely he should have some positive impact, right?

sphinxnole

Liked Posts:
I believe that having coaches on the same page is very important when you install your system. HH is known as an excellent line coach but I believe he’s a more power than zone scheme coach. So his techniques may not be as in sync with the scheme of the offense. Nagy having guys with experience within the system teaching the techniques and fundamentals essential to the scheme should be extremely helpful. As everyone said in 2018 Mitch masked the flaws in the run game by usually adding between 45-60 yards a game scrambling which upped the run totals per game.

Now you bring in coaches that truly understand the system and how to implement them.
In football EVERYONE needs to be on the same page. It is probably the sport where coaching is the most important because everyone has responsibilities every play that determine the effectiveness of a play call.

HH and MH are great coaches but not scheme fits. Nagy should have brought coaches more familiar with his scheme to implement his system correctly, not as those coaches themselves were also learning the scheme.
Then once his culture and scheme were established with players you can bring in coaches like MH and HH to add wrinkles to what you are doing because the veterans can act as mentors to younger players by teaching the system so to speak to their newer teammates.

Just my thought. Doesn’t guarantee success but these new coaches have a lot of familiarity within this scheme so maybe it will bring about 5-10% improvement in the smaller details of the scheme. The offense just needs to be avg. to above avg with the potential of our Defense. Instead of 29-32 in offense. 17-20 should get us to 10-6, 11-5 and the postseason...

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think NFL football is the exception to that.
I don't think the Bulls get 6 rings without Phil. MJ would have had some championships with any HC but Jackson's ability to manage fragile egos and Tex Winter's offensive scheme helped make them a dynasty IMO.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think the Bulls get 6 rings without Phil. MJ would have had some championships with any HC but Jackson's ability to manage fragile egos and Tex Winter's offensive scheme helped make them a dynasty IMO.
I agree but it's still a lot easier with 5 guys than 22 and Baseball decisions are like flipping a coin.