CCS Weather Thread (Snow Season)

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What's more cost effective, trying to use weather stripping to seal your house up or just buying a new fucking house?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
What's more cost effective, trying to use weather stripping to seal your house up or just buying a new fucking house?
Is your house draft central or something?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Your windows old and shitty?

Oh very, which is why I use those plastic sheets that you put on the windows.

Some of those have gotten loose downstairs, but I really think the front door was my biggest problem.... hoping the new weather stripping will do the job.

I bought more of the plastic things, but kinda prefer to replace them when it warms up.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Some of those have gotten loose downstairs, but I really think the front door was my biggest problem.... hoping the new weather stripping will do the job.

I bought more of the plastic things, but kinda prefer to replace them when it warms up.
I'd only replace windows if you plan on staying in the house a lot longer.. otherwise it's not cost effective to you.

If the door is the biggest problem.. probably is indeed the weather stripping.. Depends where the draft is coming from.

Mine comes from poor weather stripping on the bottom, the door itself is perfectly fine, just whoever installed it didn't put a large enough piece on the bottom.

All my windows are new within the past 5 years except the old owners never replaced the upstairs bathroom window, and the garage window is the original from 1969 when the house was built. I plan to replace those within the next 5 years, but not really an emergency. I also plan on living here for 30 years + so I don't mind replacing things, I'm not looking at resale value, just what makes me comfortable / feel better about my house.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

No storm door?

I put one on my house as soon as @BrunoTheRed warned us the storm was coming

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Check the threshold seal and the weatherstripping at the top of the door. Both wood and metal doors can warp over time. Frames also move. When it warms up check all of it with a level.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It has been mild but that is over. Rango wanted out this morning until I opened the door. He turned around and gave me the Fuck This look. It's a bitch trying to toss an 80 lb dog outside if he doesn't want to go. Wife thought it was very funny.
My dog is down to her last days and she can go out on her own, but needs help coming in as it is up two steps. So when she needs to go out at midnight when it's zero, lucky me gets to go out and help her back in.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I'm in DFW but the whole state is shut down. We've got several inches here. Single digit temps.

AND NO FUCKING POWER. We've had rolling outages since 2AM. :mad:
I just heard your temps are 51 degrees below your average high for this time of year.

My brother's in Houston. Still has power but said his brother-in-law is out. Hope you get yours back soon.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Went for our snowy drive for about 30 min in all hell broke loose. The defroster was having a hard time keeping up with the snow/ice. Was already punching thru 3-4 ft drifts. Funny thing is my wife loved it and said we've always done this. Opened a beer and gave me a drink. Snowy country roads.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Went for our snowy drive for about 30 min in all hell broke loose. The defroster was having a hard time keeping up with the snow/ice. Was already punching thru 3-4 ft drifts. Funny thing is my wife loved it and said we've always done this. Opened a beer and gave me a drink. Snowy country roads.
In a weird Urblock way - this was poetic.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In a weird Urblock way - this was poetic.

Could definitely be a country song.

I can hear it in my head.

"Drivin' them old back country roads.... m'lady cracks open a beer an says, "Boy s'always been like this..."

chorus of some kind...

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Drinking and driving? Not cool man.
No matter how isolated.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Only people on the road and going 15. Snow was coming down pretty good. Would do it again. 4 miles from home.