Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
All because the Spanos' flexed their muscle, trying to force SD to pony up a stadium with taxpayer money. Eventually they will have to sell, probably to Bezos.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm sure if we saw the value of the assets, the cash flow, the appreciation of franchise values, etc... the story would look very different. Seems like a cash crunch, but that's what happens when you relocate. Capital investments require capital, and the NFL limits how you can use your team to borrow money.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah, prob better off than it looks there, but still

the idea of moving your team to a city that already has one seems so fucking dumb

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why the fuck does LA have 2 teams? It isn't a football town. Neither of those teams have loyal or big fan bases
because Spanos family are whiny little bitches. All they wanted was to increase the value of their team. Which it did even though they owe money. They will sell within next few years.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm sure if we saw the value of the assets, the cash flow, the appreciation of franchise values, etc... the story would look very different. Seems like a cash crunch, but that's what happens when you relocate. Capital investments require capital, and the NFL limits how you can use your team to borrow money.
Also to paying rent to Kroenke foe a venue they don't own. Sheer madness.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Which city deserves a fanbase that wouldn't siphon fans from our fanbase?

PeterG

Da Coach.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
D'oh.

Canth

Liked Posts:
That was a total ego driven move that was dumb from start to finish. The Chargers never had a real fanbase in LA, but Spanos hated the thought of Kroenke moving in there. I would think any normal, rational person would chose being in San Diego over LA nearly 100% of the time.

The interesting side note to all of that is would the Raiders have gone to Vegas or LA if the Chargers had stayed put?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

the idea of moving your team to a city that already has one seems so fucking dumb
especially when they don't support the 1st one that well. Didn't work for the Raiders either.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Shitty, non Bear related threads like this push more relevant topics off the front page. Who gives a fuck about the Chargers or their debt load? Anybody?
Yah, lets have another Fields spin thread.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I mean, they were going to have been in debt after one year anyway, right? Is this a big surprise?

Sure, I think that it's worth trying to put teams into the biggest markets. Nothing wrong with trying LA again, it's been a long time since they've had a football team and attitudes can change. But the chargers were loved in SD and had it friggin made. It would have made more sense to start a new franchise in LA than moving the chargers!

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I mean, they were going to have been in debt after one year anyway, right? Is this a big surprise?

Sure, I think that it's worth trying to put teams into the biggest markets. Nothing wrong with trying LA again, it's been a long time since they've had a football team and attitudes can change. But the chargers were loved in SD and had it friggin made. It would have made more sense to start a new franchise in LA than moving the chargers!

Chargers couldn't draw 40k people. Not sure they were "loved"

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Chargers left LA after 1 season in the AFL for SD, nuture and abandon 55 years of fandom and leave for a city that, despite the population, failed twice to support an NFL franchise, deciding to return to an otherly involved populace that had thrown any of it's NFL team allegiances 32 different directions over the last 20 years. What could go wrong?

Maybe the best idea for an LA football team:

The first NFL team to name itself after the city of Los Angeles was the Los Angeles Buccaneers in 1926. However, this was a road team, based in Chicago, made up of Californians, primarily University of California and University of Southern California alumni.

Last edited: