Chase Claypool - Is he a bust?

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
Nope he is worth more to us as he can be a long term big target for Fields. This year is to just get him acclimated. He can be a key piece to a young playoff team next year.
We didn't trade for long-term Claypool. We traded for 2 years of Claypool. That's why he's worth more to the Packers than to us because this year could have actually mattered for them.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Great players find ways to contribute and help win. Gadget players need the perfect system and play caller to have success. Claypool will be on a new team after next season.
You calling a 6'4, 240lb WR a gadget player?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Would you rather have Christian Watson or Chase Claypool? Because Watson was picked at precisely where the Bears 2nd rounder is slotted.

And I don't think 10 places is negligible. You'd have to give up a 4th rounder probably to bridge that distance in a trade. That's not negligible.
Yes, and Christian Watson clones are literally in every single draft. Who's the Watson in this draft the Bears could be getting early 2nd?

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The data says he is good on go routes.
I know what the data says about him in his rookie season. Watch the film man. He rarely gets separation unless he's pushing off.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
Yes, and Christian Watson clones are literally in every single draft. Who's the Watson in this draft the Bears could be getting early 2nd?
Yeah there is WR talent every year.

Nobody had Watson pegged as a top pick this time last year. We'll absolutely have some WR prospects make a similar rise when draft season comes around.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Everyone acting like Christian Watson is some kind of star. He had one good game against the Cowboys(that included 3 drops), a bunch of garbage yards vs Philly and a decent game against a terrible Bears defense.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We didn't trade for long-term Claypool. We traded for 2 years of Claypool. That's why he's worth more to the Packers than to us because this year could have actually mattered for them.

We will be competing for a playoff spot as early as next year and we traded for the right to control his rights after next year.
I know what the data says about him in his rookie season. Watch the film man. He rarely gets separation unless he's pushing off.
You didnt read. It said last 2 years not his rookie season. The point is I dont care how he has success as long as he has success. Do you think you get extra points if a WR wins based on separation or based on out jumping someone for the ball?

You get a 6-4 240 pound WR so he can win using his body and leaping ability. You get Darnell Mooney if you want a WR to win on separation.

Last edited:

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Toooo early to tell. Dudes very talented and i think can be great but i see him as an elite #2 WR. We need a stud for him to play off of. WR #1, Claypoole and Mooney if healthy can be a nice trio. Dont sleep on Harry either.
Totally agree, he will come on, Mooney will be back, add a high draft pick and get Velus involved and a little time.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We will be competing for a playoff spot as early as next year and we traded for the right to control his rights after next year.

You didnt read. It said last 2 years not his rookie season. The point is I domt care how he has success as long as he has success. Do you think you get extra points if a WR wins based on separation or based on out jumping someone for the ball?

You get a 6-4 240 pound WR so he can win using his body and leaping ability. You get Darnell Mooney if you want a WR to win on separation.
Okay, except he's not really having success.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I think he'll perform much better after the bye week. Tough learning a brand new system in-season. I still think he's a #3 caliber receiver (like Mooney) on a championship level team.

The 2nd round pick was definitely an overpay but I'm fine with the trade for 2 reasons. 1. It showed Fields that he's definitely the guy in Chicago going forward and 2. Since he arrived Kmet has exploded and turned into KmeTD.

The Bears still desperately need a #1 receiver and probably a #2 as well unless Claypool or Mooney were to significantly improve with the addition of the #1 (certainly possible).
good insight.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:

You didnt read. It said last 2 years not his rookie season. The point is I domt care how he has success as long as he has success. Do you think you get extra points if a WR wins based on separation or based on out jumping someone for the ball?

Very presumptive to act like we'll be competing for a playoff spot next year. We are currently a very bad team and roster. Some things take more than one offseason to build up and fix (especially given the horrendous cap mgmt Pace left behind).

Which is why a 2nd round pick that you'd control for 2023-2027 fits perfectly within our actual window and not some rushed window we're making up to validate the Claypool trade.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I'm a bit dissapointed in the early returns, but happy we took a shot. The Free agent wr market stinks and I'm a bit down on the options in the draft. We had to take a chance somewhere and hopefully things can improve by next season.

If in the end all he is is a stop gap and we were able to was poach him from GB while they were hoping to make a push for the playoffs. I'm not going to complain.

The only thing I am going to complain about has to do with the coaching staffs inability to give him more targets and scheme better in the passing game.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Okay, except he's not really having success.

Except different argument. I was referring to the document I linked that showed he was the lost efficient WR on go routes from 2020-2021. He was in fact successful from 2020-2021.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Very presumptive to act like we'll be competing for a playoff spot next year. We are currently a very bad team and roster. Some things take more than one offseason to build up and fix (especially given the horrendous cap mgmt Pace left behind).

Which is why a 2nd round pick that you'd control for 2023-2027 fits perfectly within our actual window and not some rushed window we're making up to validate the Claypool trade.

Good thing I said as early as next year which leaves open the possibiluty we dont. However we have been in pretty much every game with a shit roster so it is quite reasonable to think we can compete for a playoff spot next year if Fields continues to grow and we fix the D and OL.

There is no rushed window. If Claypool is good we can easily afford his 2nd contract. The point is he is more likely to contribute next year than a 2nd round WR after having taken this year and next offseason to learn the O.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The Pack have had inconsistent WR play which has ruined their season. Not saying he makes everyone an instant contender. I am saying given what the Pack need, he would make them playoff contenders. The Pack still technically have an outside shot at the playoffs and yes I do think Claypool.

Pack lost 15-9 to the Lions, 27-17 to the Titans and 40-33 to the Eagles. They lost each of those games in the 4th quarter and yes I think Lazard, Claypool, Watson and Cobb probably allows them to beat the Lions and Titans at minimum mainly because that would give Rodgers two legit big and fast WR that can stretch defenses deep. That would put them at 7-6.
The Packers defense has been way below what everyone expected from them, A.Rodgers hasn't been the great (not even close) Rodgers the NFL is used to and until the last couple of games the running game (especially AJ Dillon) has been average. It's a lot more than just their WR's for why their season has been ruined.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Except the Packers offered a 2nd. So he paid the current market value for the player. Unless your argument is the market had him overvalued in which case you have no idea of that as you have no idea how many teams were willing to part with a 2nd for him.
You also have no idea.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

You didnt read. It said last 2 years not his rookie season. The point is I dont care how he has success as long as he has success. Do you think you get extra points if a WR wins based on separation or based on out jumping someone for the ball?

We will?