Chase Claypool - Is he a bust?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah there is WR talent every year.

Nobody had Watson pegged as a top pick this time last year. We'll absolutely have some WR prospects make a similar rise when draft season comes around.
He was actually pretty highly regarded at this time last year. He had put up a full regular season by this point and pretty much anyone who follows the draft had him pegged as a Day 2 pick.

And yes, there are other good prospects. But you specifically pointed out Christian Watson. A 6'5 WR that runs a 4.3 . There aren't going to be any of those at the top of the 2nd round. And they just as easily could turn into Wan'Dale Robinson, Tyquan Thorton or Skyy Moore, who haven't done much (outside of a great game for Robinson before ACL tear).

So, the point is. You KNOW what you have in Claypool. A WR with a pair of 800 yard seasons and a 9 TD year as a rookie. You don't know who will even be on the board if the Bears pick 33 (you didn't even know the pick would be 33 when the trade was made). You don't know if the 33rd pick will ever put up 800 yards and 9 TDs. You can make a pretty good guess that it won't be 6'5 and run a 4.3. I'm sure as hell Ryan Poles looked at this draft, the free agent class and determined that Claypool was the best bet to give him good WR production going forward.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
ELITE

noun

"a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group"

Im comparing him to other #2s not all receivers.
LOL! Are you kidding me with this shit?? That’s not how that works.

That‘s like taking all 32 starting QB’s, dividing them into four groups of eight, and saying the first guy in group 4, which would be the 25th best QB in the league, is the elite QB of that group. That’s just fucking stupid.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Anyone remember James Hardy in 2008?
or Ryan Broyles in 2014?
or Limas Sweed?

Me either!

and those were big name 2nd round WR big bodies. And they sucked.
And you can find them in the first rounds as well.
Laquan Treadwell, Charles Rodgers, David Terrell, and on and on and on.

If we end up with Chase Claypool over the chance at a 2nd round bust WR, I'm okay with that... I guess?

The argument is good one both sides of this.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You also have no idea.

Correct but I know one other team reportedly offered a 2nd. So more evidence that is his market value than not.
The Packers defense has been way below what everyone expected from them, A.Rodgers hasn't been the great (not even close) Rodgers the NFL is used to and until the last couple of games the running game (especially AJ Dillon) has been average. It's a lot more than just their WR's for why their season has been ruined.
Great. I still say Claypool would make them a contender.

Yes.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
We all know another team reportedly offered a 2nd and that was a very desperate team but i guess our GM was more desperate.

I doubt it

We won't be a playoff team next year.

Did you just dong yourselve?

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Anyone remember James Hardy in 2008?
or Ryan Broyles in 2014?
or Limas Sweed?

Me either!

and those were big name 2nd round WR big bodies. And they sucked.
And you can find them in the first rounds as well.
Laquan Treadwell, Charles Rodgers, David Terrell, and on and on and on.

If we end up with Chase Claypool over the chance at a 2nd round bust WR, I'm okay with that... I guess?

The argument is good one both sides of this.

Yeah this idea that the Bears could have drafted a receiver who 100% would pan out and be a stud in the 2nd round is...strange. Claypool had 1700 yards and 11tds his first two seasons, so he's proven he's at least decent and can play in the NFL. There's a chance they could have gotten a better receiver in the 2nd, but there's also a decent chance they would have gotten a worse receiver.

Claypool hasn't shown much but it's way to early to draw conclusions on him one way or the other.

greg23

Liked Posts:
There isn't a WR sitting at 33-38 who will be a better option. I went to UNC and love me some Josh Downs but I would still take Claypool over him in this draft. This year's draft has depth but no really can't miss prospect.
Claypool isn't a can't miss wr either.....he's been pretty blah the last 1.75 years

Just saying....at 33-39 there will be multiple wr available that would help immensely

Johnston
Addison
Smith-Njigba
Hyatt/Tillman
Flowers
Boutte
Downs
Rice

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Claypool isn't a can't miss wr either.....he's been pretty blah the last 1.75 years

Just saying....at 33-39 there will be multiple wr available that would help immensely

Johnston
Addison
Smith-Njigba
Hyatt/Tillman
Flowers
Boutte
Downs
Rice

Boutte is going back to school. QJ and Addison are going to be long gone.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We all know another team reportedly offered a 2nd and that was a very desperate team but i guess our GM was more desperate.

I doubt it

We won't be a playoff team next year.

Correct so hard to claim an overpay.

You are free to doubt it. I think you are wrong. It is what it is.

Never said we would. I said we will be competing for a playoff spot. Competing doesnt not mean we will be one 100%.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
There he goes! Ask a question and the penis talk arrives. Every time I try and talk football with you, you have nothing but homo erotic innuendo towards me.
You came at me with the smartass dongbears name. Don't play the act with me. If you want to talk for real then come at me right. It's DB70.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
And he wonders why everyone has called him Dong for several years now.
Just stick with football talk!
5 or 6 people isn't everyone. I don't mind the dongbears name cause it just isn't funny and think you can do better, but don't act like you want to talk football but come at me with sarcasm.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Johnston
Addison
Smith-Njigba
Hyatt/Tillman
Flowers
Boutte
Downs
Rice

Lol, Johnston, JSN, Addison are projected first rounders not 2nd rounders. Claypool had a better final year than all of them and his measurables will likely be better than all of them. Only Johnston can match his speed and height ratio but Claypool has 30 pounds on him.

Boutte's year was so terrible he is going back to school. Saying he is a better prospect at this point is laughable.

Rest of those guys really are not on the same level as prospects. You are going off of hope.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
He was actually pretty highly regarded at this time last year. He had put up a full regular season by this point and pretty much anyone who follows the draft had him pegged as a Day 2 pick.

And yes, there are other good prospects. But you specifically pointed out Christian Watson. A 6'5 WR that runs a 4.3 . There aren't going to be any of those at the top of the 2nd round. And they just as easily could turn into Wan'Dale Robinson, Tyquan Thorton or Skyy Moore, who haven't done much (outside of a great game for Robinson before ACL tear).

So, the point is. You KNOW what you have in Claypool. A WR with a pair of 800 yard seasons and a 9 TD year as a rookie. You don't know who will even be on the board if the Bears pick 33 (you didn't even know the pick would be 33 when the trade was made). You don't know if the 33rd pick will ever put up 800 yards and 9 TDs. You can make a pretty good guess that it won't be 6'5 and run a 4.3. I'm sure as hell Ryan Poles looked at this draft, the free agent class and determined that Claypool was the best bet to give him good WR production going forward.
There very likely will be some 6'3"+ toolsy guy who runs 4.3s or low 4.4s. There always is.

Here's Jeremiah's first ranking from last year. No Watson. He ended up #45 and was drafted #34 so clearly he rose over the course of the process.

Not to mention Claypool has less yardage this year than George Pickens or Alec Pierce.

I don't think Claypool is a bust. But all signs point to us overpaying.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Chase Claypool - Is he a bust?​

The key is .....what's getsy doing to work Chase into the offense