Chase Claypool - Is he a bust?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Yeah dude is one of the best Go route runners in NFL and they wasting him on short passes.
Exactly. He needs to be running downfield. It’s so obvious that that is his strength it’s frustrating seeing the Bears coaching strategy with him.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Don't know if he's a bust yet but still standing by he wasn't worth a 2nd round pick and definitely not our own 2nd which will be top 5.

Remy says he is so i hope he's right on this one cause that 2nd is a huge loss for us. Talking about a day one starter on a rookie deal.
It will look even worse when there is a wr sitting there at 33-38 who be a better option than Claypool

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
why dont we wait til we have an OnLine that can actually give Fields more than half a second of freedom before calling him a bust? Or any other receiver for that matter.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It will look even worse when there is a wr sitting there at 33-38 who be a better option than Claypool

There isn't a WR sitting at 33-38 who will be a better option. I went to UNC and love me some Josh Downs but I would still take Claypool over him in this draft. This year's draft has depth but no really can't miss prospect.

Christian Watson in his rookie year is likely already better than Claypool will ever be

Umm Claypool had 873 yards and 11 TDs as a rookie. Watson has just 401 yards and 9 TDs. So he may catch Claypool in TDs but doubtful he catches him in yards. Further Claypool is actually less than a year older than Watson as Watson will be 24 in May and Claypool will be 25 in June So by 23 Claypool already had 1750 yards and 13 TDs in the NFL. So no Watson is not already better than Claypool.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
How are we going to go back and do a #calledit unless you put it on the line in front of CCS here?
i like your angle here

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
There isn't a WR sitting at 33-38 who will be a better option. I went to UNC and love me some Josh Downs but I would still take Claypool over him in this draft. This year's draft has depth but no really can't miss prospect.

Umm Claypool had 873 yards and 11 TDs as a rookie. Watson has just 401 yards and 9 TDs. So he may catch Claypool in TDs but doubtful he catches him in yards. Further Claypool is actually less than a year older than Watson as Watson will be 24 in May and Claypool will be 25 in June So by 23 Claypool already had 1750 yards and 13 TDs in the NFL. So no Watson is not already better than Claypool.

TD’s tend to regress to the mean every year. Alec Pierce has had a better year and he plays with one of the league’s worst QB’s in Matt Ryan & Ehlinger

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Claypool would have ass raped the Bears yesterday if Steelers chose the Packers trade package, same posters would be bitching about Poles being cheap and not offering more.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The early returns are terrible. He's been largely invisible since he got here. The majority of his plays so far have been at or behind the line of scrimmage. He hasn't had a single "wow" moment, and his ability (or should I say inability) to go up and high point the ball in traffic is just as non-existent as Steelers fans claimed it was.

I'm going to refrain from any final judgement until next season, but holy fuck, this is going much worse than I think just about anybody could have expected. The Steelers are going to get essentially a late 1st round pick out of this. If Poles wasn't gifted Justin Fields, I'm not sure when the Bears would ever be good again with as many awful decisions that are being made from a supposed talent evaluator. Just about ever one of his acquisitions this year have been terrible.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He should be getting more targets but the designed plays for him always look so clunky and awkward. Nothing ever looks smooth with this guy.

This year he can get a pass. This team is so far away from contention, one receiver wasn’t saving them from that reality. Next year they’re going to have more talent there, especially on the offensive line.

Next year is when we can answer that question about Claypool. If his stat line is this a year from now, absolutely. I hope he puts Poles in a position to not let him go.
It goes beyond that. His strength is downfield and his drops are those quick outs. They're doing these to protect fields and setup Ds because Claypool is fast and big but they aren't optimising his strengths.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Considering that the pick the Bears surrendered to get him is likely in the low 30s, I imagine the Steelers are feeling pretty good about the trade right now.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Well they do have a GM that knows what he is doing, so there's that.

If you believe the rumors, Green Bay also offered a second rounder for Claypool, but the Steelers believed the Bears pick would be higher. That looks like a pretty good bet now.

So, Chicago not only made the Steelers look brilliant, but they also managed to save some draft capitol for a division rival.

Hopefully Claypool turns out to be worth it...The early returns have been less-than-impressive,

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If you believe the rumors, Green Bay also offered a second rounder for Claypool, but the Steelers believed the Bears pick would be higher. That looks like a pretty good bet now.

So, Chicago not only made the Steelers look brilliant, but they also managed to save some draft capitol for a division rival.

Hopefully Claypool turns out to be worth it...The early returns have been less-than-impressive,

Well that’s the problem with the idiots on here. They expect instant gratification with everything

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
I thought that the Packers also offered a late round pick in addition but as you stated, the Steelers chose the Bears for the obvious reason.
I'm sure CC will be more productive next year but then Poles has to decide if he will pay him.
The thing I liked about the trade was that it kept him away from the fudgies,
What I disliked was Poles will have to pay up after only a 1 year audition.

Chicago will clearly have the cap room.

Consider, however, that if the Bears had not intervened, the packers would have lost some draft capitol and still might not have been able to sign him next season...And then the Bears, armed with ample cap space, could have moved in and acquired his services. Not only would Chicago have saved a high second-round pick, but Green Bay would also have lost theirs.

Oh well...Water under the bridge now.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Considering that the pick the Bears surrendered to get him is likely in the low 30s, I imagine the Steelers are feeling pretty good about the trade right now.

Good for them. Not sure what relevance that has for the Bears.

Adding Claypool to the Packers probably means the Packers are in contention for a playoff spot as Rodgers clearly throws more than Fields and clearly would have free rein to target Claypool downfield. So yeah they saved draft capital for a division rival while likely costing that division rival a chance at the playoffs.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Good for them. Not sure what relevance that has for the Bears.

Adding Claypool to the Packers probably means the Packers are in contention for a playoff spot as Rodgers clearly throws more than Fields and clearly would have free rein to target Claypool downfield. So yeah they saved draft capital for a division rival while likely costing that division rival a chance at the playoffs.

I disagree about the Packers contending for a playoff spot, with or without Claypool. His career in Pittsburg would lead one to believe he's a good player, but hardly a guy that makes any team he's on an instant contender.

As for relevance to the Bears, you really don't understand how trading away a high draft pick affects the team? Curious.