Chase Claypool - Is he a bust?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
The question is now that they traded a 2nd for Claypool...how high of a pick are they going to use on WR?

Defense is a top priority, and we have a defensive minded HC. Barring a trade back for a bunch of picks...I doubt they draft WR in the first 2 rounds.

(Yes I'm aware of FA. That's how you get guys like Claypool.)

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
The question is now that they traded a 2nd for Claypool...how high of a pick are they going to use on WR?

Defense is a top priority, and we have a defensive minded HC. Barring a trade back for a bunch of picks...I doubt they draft WR in the first 2 rounds.

I agree. If the Bears really wanted Claypool, they could have waited and pursued him in free agency. and saved a valuable pick. And if you can't get Claypool, get someone else like him.

Was it really important to have him on the team this season?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Mooney is way better than Claypool. Hopefully the injury isn't anything long term.
Not sure i'd say that but also very hard to compare two totally different type of WR's to each other like those two are.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Detroit now has more 30+ games this year than any team in the NFL
But they need a new QB.....................
You think they'll stick with Goff or definitely drafting one with their top pick in next years draft?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I agree. If the Bears really wanted Claypool, they could have waited and pursued him in free agency. and saved a valuable pick. And if you can't get Claypool, get someone else like him.

He’s not a free agent this year. ?‍♂️

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
He needs to be much more involved in '23 and I suspect he will.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
He's fine. They aren't using him correctly right now. They did use him well last week with Siemien, but back to being misused today. 6 targets, 4 of them were screens. Hell, they weren't even really screens. They were just throwing the ball to him outside 1-on-1, no blocking set up to let him run with the ball. Just put it on him to break a tackle.

He did catch those 2 passes in the flow of the offense on back-to-back plays (fumble on the 2nd catch), but other than that, it almost feels like they are saving Claypool for next year.

Great players find ways to contribute and help win. Gadget players need the perfect system and play caller to have success. Claypool will be on a new team after next season.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You think they'll stick with Goff or definitely drafting one with their top pick in next years draft?

If he maintains his current level of play, I think they roll with him one more year. But, a lot depends on when the Lions draft, and what is available. If the Rams somehow move up into the 2nd overall pick, that changes everything (although Goff might still be a bridge). But, I do not see the Lions giving up a kings ransom to move up.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:

WR should still be a top priority.

We still have a below average WR corps. It's a premium position these days. Therefore it should absolutely be considered with our top picks.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
Claypool can still work out for us and be a valuable member of the WR group.

But the trade was flatly bad asset management by Poles. He overpaid.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
WR should still be a top priority.

We still have a below average WR corps. It's a premium position these days. Therefore it should absolutely be considered with our top picks.
I highly doubt it will be. The fans want a WR, the coaches are going for DE, DT....maybe even LB in the 2nd or 3rd.

I like Jack Sanborn like everyone else, but we've seen this story around the league for years. A guy plays outta his shorts for a year then comes down to earth the next.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I disagree about the Packers contending for a playoff spot, with or without Claypool. His career in Pittsburg would lead one to believe he's a good player, but hardly a guy that makes any team he's on an instant contender.

As for relevance to the Bears, you really don't understand how trading away a high draft pick affects the team? Curious.

The Pack have had inconsistent WR play which has ruined their season. Not saying he makes everyone an instant contender. I am saying given what the Pack need, he would make them playoff contenders. The Pack still technically have an outside shot at the playoffs and yes I do think Claypool.

Pack lost 15-9 to the Lions, 27-17 to the Titans and 40-33 to the Eagles. They lost each of those games in the 4th quarter and yes I think Lazard, Claypool, Watson and Cobb probably allows them to beat the Lions and Titans at minimum mainly because that would give Rodgers two legit big and fast WR that can stretch defenses deep. That would put them at 7-6.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

He’s not a free agent this year. ?‍♂️

Not only is he not a FA, they traded for him precisely because this FA class is weak. It is amazing how fans make things sound so much easier than they actually are. Do some research before commenting @abegibronlives

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Claypool can still work out for us and be a valuable member of the WR group.

But the trade was flatly bad asset management by Poles. He overpaid.

Except the Packers offered a 2nd. So he paid the current market value for the player. Unless your argument is the market had him overvalued in which case you have no idea of that as you have no idea how many teams were willing to part with a 2nd for him.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
There isn't a WR sitting at 33-38 who will be a better option. I went to UNC and love me some Josh Downs but I would still take Claypool over him in this draft. This year's draft has depth but no really can't miss prospect.

Umm Claypool had 873 yards and 11 TDs as a rookie. Watson has just 401 yards and 9 TDs. So he may catch Claypool in TDs but doubtful he catches him in yards. Further Claypool is actually less than a year older than Watson as Watson will be 24 in May and Claypool will be 25 in June So by 23 Claypool already had 1750 yards and 13 TDs in the NFL. So no Watson is not already better than Claypool.
wtf are you even talking about, watson missed half the season, he has 9 tds in 1/3 of a season

you're walking yourself out onto the plank with this claypool slobbering, he's not special, he's a big slow possession WR at best

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Pursued him in free agency in 2024. The goal was to give JF talent to work with in 2023. Since the FA market is shit for WR’s and the draft likely not going to produce much since the roster has so many holes, Poles got the best WR available even if he did overpay, which he did.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
wtf are you even talking about, watson missed half the season, he has 9 tds in 1/3 of a season

you're walking yourself out onto the plank with this claypool slobbering, he's not special, he's a big slow possession WR at best
But yet 401yds totally proves your point!
TD’s regress to the mean for all players. Even Miller had 7 TD’s his rookie season(on 33catches too). If you are simply measuring how great a skill position player is by his TD production, you might end up with skewed results. This is how teams overpay for decent talent like Robert Tonyan, Dawson Knox and even Mercedes Lewis(who had 11TD’s one year and then got a big contract). Julio Jones once had a 3 TD season on 88 catches. The point is you can’t seriously gauge a player’s true value on TD’s since it’s a stat that can fluctuate dramatically year to year.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
The move was to draft a second round WR last year and not take a low value position like safety. Then draft another this year with all the picks. Wouldn’t need to do anything else. When he drafted a 30 year old who can’t catch and then overcompensated by trading a first rounder for someone who was going to get cut, he revealed himself to be same old bears bullshit we’ve been watching for twenty years