Chicago Blackhawks aquire Seth Jones

Granada

Liked Posts:
Hypothetically speaking if that 2022 pick is a top 3, this trade becomes a massive overpayment. I like Jones, and yes the Hawks need someone on defence with size and skill set, but let’s remember his numbers last season were on the bottom end for a player who is about to make 9.5 per.
Kane and Toews do come of the books, however Dcat will get a raise at the same time as well as Kubalik, and let’s not think for one second that Kane wont want a decent payday after this contract, with his numbers he is still in the 7 million zone, Toews well, who knows at this point maybe retired.

Yeah I mean, I think if Toews and Kane aren't traded before then, you walk away from both and focus on Kubalik (assuming he keeps his pace up) and Debrincat. You couldn't have all 4 of them back, that's true, but as much as I love Kane/Toews, I don't think I'd want either back after their contracts are up.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Isn't the 2022 1st protected if its the #1 /#2 overall?

Not sure what all the hand wringing is about.

Now....go get a real #1 goalie with Lankinen as the #2 and we might have something next year.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Yeah I mean, I think if Toews and Kane aren't traded before then, you walk away from both and focus on Kubalik (assuming he keeps his pace up) and Debrincat. You couldn't have all 4 of them back, that's true, but as much as I love Kane/Toews, I don't think I'd want either back after their contracts are up.
I honestly don’t see Toews making it past his current contract, but the likelyhood of Kane not being signed after his contract seems unlikely.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Isn't the 2022 1st protected if its the #1 /#2 overall?

Not sure what all the hand wringing is about.

Now....go get a real #1 goalie with Lankinen as the #2 and we might have something next year.
No, the first or second isn’t protected.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I remember when many people thought it was utterly impossible that the Hawks would be able to afford all of Toews, Kane, and Keith when all their contracts were up in 2010 -- because Campbell was signed at 7 million. Opposing fans especially were certain it could never happen. In the end, they were all kept.
I like them. But these guys are no toews Kane and Keith

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hawks are very likely to pick 3-10 so I think it will be an overpay...

On the plus side...at least the top 4 defenders in 2021 draft got taken before the 12th pick. Lets see some magic here with the 32nd pick and they have an extra pick or two this year.

I'm bummed about Keith but it was time and not sure he could maintain his recent resurgence over 82 games.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was told a few years back that we had the next Keith and Karlsson in the system with four first round D men taken......LOFL! Jokiharju.....gone,Boqvist........ gone(both @20)and Beaudine and Mitchell fall further down the depth chart with every trade.
This resulted in the team losing massive assets and paying massive term and money to acquire a #1......dam shame.
I like Seth Jones a lot as a player but this is the move a team on the cusp makes and what is this team on the cusp of?

Seth Jones will ensure the team stays somewhere around .500..............otherwise known as no man's land but not to the Hawks,the Hawks live in no man's land.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I was told a few years back that we had the next Keith and Karlsson in the system with four first round D men taken......LOFL! Jokiharju.....gone,Boqvist........ gone(both @20)and Beaudine and Mitchell fall further down the depth chart with every trade.
This resulted in the team losing massive assets and paying massive term and money to acquire a #1......dam shame.
I like Seth Jones a lot as a player but this is the move a team on the cusp makes and what is this team on the cusp of?

Seth Jones will ensure the team stays somewhere around .500..............otherwise known as no man's land but not to the Hawks,the Hawks live in no man's land.
By the end of next season we'll be thru the delta variant and up to the gamma variant with im season delays meaning expanded playoffs.

Bowman is a #genius

Bust

Liked Posts:
Jokiharju.....

Well he did play for your boy Q...

If a hall of fame headcoach doesn't like your game you are going to leave. Sort of like Daly back in the day when stan had to ship him to the Penguins to man their #1 D line on their way to a cup.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We need to hit a pick right here at 32 to pay for Seth Jones.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No, Jones has one season at 5.4, Kane and Toews are still under contract for 2 more seasons, and Dcat will need a new contract at that time as well.
Okay, so my math was off, but Debrincat is signed through 2022/2023...it's Koob we gotta worry about. Still based on CF we're on the hook for ~50M in cap in 2022/2023, which accounting for the gabs in the lineup accounts for ~2.25M per empty position.

Yeah, it's not...not good. However, I still stand by the fact that Stan gambled here. I don't think that the Jones boys will deliver us another cup, but if by then we end up losing someone worthwhile, it should be his hide.

I still can't root against them, though. I can root for Stan to be out on his arse though.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well he did play for your boy Q...

If a hall of fame headcoach doesn't like your game you are going to leave. Sort of like Daly back in the day when stan had to ship him to the Penguins to man their #1 D line on their way to a cup.
The 'Joker' played em all for Q @19 until the dimwitted GM fired the HoF HC then the dimwitted GM traded the 'Joker' for a worthless Nolander.......follow along.

Daly looked awful here by all accounts and he admitted his head wasn't in it after his Mother's cancer diagnoses.

Harry Potter isn't qualified to wash Joel Quenneville's fucking car.

I don't know what to do with my Boqvist jersey now that our dimwitted GM has given up on ANOTHER 1st round pick but ass-wipe comes to mind.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jones is a nice addition but he doesn't turn this team around....hell, he doesn't even turn the defense around. Keith is gone and while Jones is a bit of an improvement over the aging star and is a lot younger, the immediate change is about a wash. Plus they moved way down in draft sloting and Boqvist at 21, still has time to get his game in line. They will still be horrid defensively and are paying out anothe big contract, which has been Bowman's MO. To me, that's a pretty steep over payment.

Then again....its kind of an example of the Jerry Angelo line of thinking. When the Bears traded two first round picks for Jay Cutler, everyone was happy....after all, Angelo had fucked up all but one of his first round picks as Bear GM, we just figured we weren't out anything anyway. A lot of people might put Bowman in that same catagory.

One thing is for certain.....if Jones doesn't play to his potential or becomes a building block, then you can chalk up this "rebuild" as a total clusterfuck.

Last edited:

greg23

Liked Posts:
Jones is a nice addition but he doesn't turn this team around....hell, he doesn't even turn the defense around. Keith is gone and while Jones is a bit of an improvement over the aging star and is a lot younger, the immediate change is about a wash. Plus they moved way down in draft sloting and Boqvist at 21, still has time to get his game in line. They will still be horrid defensively and are paying out anothe big contract, which has been Bowman's MO. To me, that's a pretty steep over payment.

Then again....its kind of an example of the Jerry Angelo line of thinking. When the Bears traded two first round picks for Jay Cutler, everyone was happy....after all, Angelo had fucked up all but one of his first round picks as Bear GM, we just figured we weren't out anything anyway. A lot of people might put Bowman in that same catagory.

One thing is for certain.....if Jones doesn't play to his potential and becomes a building block, then you can chalk up this "rebuild" as a total clusterfuck.

Jones and Keith are not a wash on the ice