Chicago Blackhawks aquire Seth Jones

Granada

Liked Posts:
Guy was ranked 40th by central scouting; that's his high mark....mostly ranked in the 60-80 range....way to go Stan.

View attachment 12695

He would have been there in the second, so of course Bowman wastes a 1st on him. Lol.

Every time I see Stan talk, the guy has about as much personality as an eggplant.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Maybe this is just the optimist in me, but I think all the doom and gloom about this signing is overblown. I mean you're not going to construct a legit NHL roster without a few high-salaried guys, especially if you have a GM like Bowman. Jones is one of those guys, and it's okay -- he's a good bet at this point. Maybe he does suck and flames out early, but that is worst-case scenario. The guy is only 26. He's everything this team has lacked in a blue-liner. Kane and Toews will be gone when their contracts are up, if not sooner -- and so will one (if not both) of de Haan and Murphy, who are in the last years of their contracts. People are acting like this one single move is going to completely destroy the team cap-wise, and I just think it's way too premature and overly-alarmist to say that.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe this is just the optimist in me, but I think all the doom and gloom about this signing is overblown. I mean you're not going to construct a legit NHL roster without a few high-salaried guys, especially if you have a GM like Bowman. Jones is one of those guys, and it's okay -- he's a good bet at this point. Maybe he does suck and flames out early, but that is worst-case scenario. The guy is only 26. He's everything this team has lacked in a blue-liner. Kane and Toews will be gone when their contracts are up, if not sooner -- and so will one (if not both) of de Haan and Murphy, who are in the last years of their contracts. People are acting like this one single move is going to completely destroy the team cap-wise, and I just think it's way too premature and overly-alarmist to say that.
The FULL NMC for all eight years is a bit of an eye opener though.............deja vu all over again in six years?

blackpep72

Liked Posts:
Its not all doom and gloom but its just sad to see that they have not learned anything about long big contracts.
Ok Keith and Kane worked out great but longer than five years for big money in the cap world is very risky unless it is for a sure thing like Kane.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
He is only 26 but he's got 8 NHL seasons on him and we just signed him through the 16th... That's a lot of money for a guy who has played and is expected to play a lot of minutes. Hope Stan's not expecting him to be Keith because he's just a freak of nature. I think everyone is excited to have Seth, it's just yet to be determined if the deal did more harm than good. Hope they re-sign Caleb and he becomes icing on the cake

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I hope C Jones turns it around but the Oil didn't dress him for any of their PO games and their D is OBVIOUSLY weak......granted their were only four PO games....so....

If C Jones doesn't make the roster or the lineup does S Jones have a problem with it or is C Jones a lock for this reason alone?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I hope C Jones turns it around but the Oil didn't dress him for any of their PO games and their D is OBVIOUSLY weak......granted their were only four PO games....so....

If C Jones doesn't make the roster or the lineup does S Jones have a problem with it or is C Jones a lock for this reason alone?
You know, I forgot about that move. It sure looks now like Bowman was using a C Jones to chum the waters. This thing gets worse by the minute. While never a big fan of Bowman, I was not as down on him as some (hello, @hawkinmontreal) LOL. Don't know much about the young kids in the draft but apparently he went reaching with the first pick. I mean, come on. Questionable trades, reaching on 1st round picks and a pretty miserable job of cap management.....what else can he fuck up?

If Rocky is up to snuff as an owner and this team plays like it did the last half of 20/21.....heads should be rolling by mid season with Bowman's being the first one on the chopping block.

Granada

Liked Posts:
The FULL NMC for all eight years is a bit of an eye opener though.............deja vu all over again in six years?

Maybe but at the end of the day, NMC's pretty much come with the territory for star players now. If he didn't get full term here, he certainly would have gotten it elsewhere. It sucks, but it's the name of the game for superstar talent now.

Granada

Liked Posts:
You know, I forgot about that move. It sure looks now like Bowman was using a C Jones to chum the waters. This thing gets worse by the minute. While never a big fan of Bowman, I was not as down on him as some (hello, @hawkinmontreal) LOL. Don't know much about the young kids in the draft but apparently he went reaching with the first pick. I mean, come on. Questionable trades, reaching on 1st round picks and a pretty miserable job of cap management.....what else can he fuck up?

If Rocky is up to snuff as an owner and this team plays like it did the last half of 20/21.....heads should be rolling by mid season with Bowman's being the first one on the chopping block.

I'm not sure what to make about getting his brother first, whether it actually made a difference or not. Perhaps it did, but as Bob mentioned, it's not like Caleb is a lock to make or more importantly stick with the big squad. I suppose, for all intents and purposes, it did technically work, so I'll give Bowman some props there. It certainly didn't hurt getting his brother in the ultimate goal of acquiring Seth.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I can't help but wish there was some way to have both Keith and Jones right now. But anyways, another huge pro about Jones is that he's a right-handed shot -- another huge element we've lacked on the backend.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not sure what to make about getting his brother first, whether it actually made a difference or not. Perhaps it did, but as Bob mentioned, it's not like Caleb is a lock to make or more importantly stick with the big squad. I suppose, for all intents and purposes, it did technically work, so I'll give Bowman some props there. It certainly didn't hurt getting his brother in the ultimate goal of acquiring Seth.
If having his brother here was a big factor and it might have been,does a negative assessment and demotion of his younger brother rub him the wrong way......to be fair,I'll assume not but I'm wrong a lot these days.

Last edited:

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can't help but wish there was some way to have both Keith and Jones right now. But anyways, another huge pro about Jones is that he's a right-handed shot -- another huge element we've lacked on the backend.
The player is all the things you say he is IMO,I just wish we didn't have to 'pony up' the assets AND the max term,$$$ and clause too but #1's don't come easy. Nothing comes easy for SB and I'd like to get the better of somebody once.
Seth Jones reportedly would only negotiate a re-do with either Chicago or Dallas and Dallas already has their big money D-men.........this resulted in no leverage what so ever?

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Taige Harding-6'7, 240lbs, D

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

we’ve been saying that for at least 3 years so don’t hold your breath lol

TL1961

Liked Posts:
3rd highest paid dman in the NHL , he is good but not 3rd in the NHL for sure. He is making now way more than Victor Hedman. All that Stan has to do now is trade for Eichel and pay him 12 per year and the Hawks are officially done for the next 8 years.
It doesn’t work like that. You don’t just get to automatically slot someone’s salary in according to how they rank talent wise. So much more goes into the salary depending on when the contract is signed, leverage, etc.

Last edited:

blackpep72

Liked Posts:
It doesn’t work like that. You don’t just get to slot someone’s salary in according to how they rank talent wise. So much more goes into the salary depending on when the contract is signed, leverage, etc.
I know that , but salary should be an indicator of how good you are. And Hedman for example is WAY better than him.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Colton Dach is a big boy
True. Not too sure how I feel about this move though. I mean, it's fine, not upset by it necessarily, but how often do these younger-brother-draft-tandems work out? I'm honestly asking. Obviously, New Jersey is doing the same thing with the Hughes'. We got the Jones' now.

I guess if I have to choose, I'd say I like it, because he's a center with size. I hope that perhaps he pushes Kirby to be better, if anything. I just hope this isn't some new Bowman strategy to draft family members -- I get doing it with Jones and I can deal with Dach, but I hope that's it and he doesn't make this a habit.