Chicago Cubs HAVE to Surprise Nation

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The 2014 off-season just began and the Chicago Cubs need to make a splash this Winter that surprises the nation. The Cubs need to pay whatever price it takes to land Japanese starting pitcher Masahiro Tanaka. Teams expect him to be posted later this month and the bidding will then start.

Tanaka fits into what the Cubs are looking for. The Cubs need a top-line starter and he's only 25-years old. Tanaka recently turned 25 on November 1st. That right there, checks off two key boxes on the Cubs check list. Tanaka has the potential to be an ace on a major league team and at the best, a very good number 2 pitcher in the starting rotation. Tanaka would be the number one pitcher for the Cubs.

In his career on the NPB, Tanaka had a 99-35 record with a 2.30 earn run average and 1,238 strikeouts. For the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles, Tanaka was on a 30-game win streak until the streak was snapped during his 4-2 lost in the playoffs. In that game, Tanaka threw 160 pitches and came back the next game to close out the game. In that game where he closed, Tanaka threw 16 pitches. In 2 games in 2 days, Tanaka threw 176 pitches. Now you see why half the major league teams are interested in Tanaka.

Scouts are wary of his high pitch total during the season over in Japan. But teams still won't back off in their pursuit of Tanaka and the price won't drop. Tanaka will command a lot of money and he will get it.

As we all know by now, Tanaka will have interest from half the major league and that does include high payroll teams. Most notably the Los Angeles Dodgers and the New York Yankees. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports the Yankees have made Tanaka a top priority, along with second baseman Robinson Cano. Passan said Tanaka is considered 1a to the Yankees, with Cano as 1. The Dodgers have already said they would like to sign Tanaka and acquire Tampa Bay' Rays starting pitcher David Price. The Dodgers will do whatever it takes to make that possible. The Dodgers don't care how much money it takes to land Tanaka and will trade any prospect to acquire Price. The Dodgers and Yankees are easily the Cubs rivals when it comes to signing Tanaka. Nick Cafardo of Boston.com said the Yankees, Dodgers and Cubs are the early favorites to sign Tanaka.

Cubs President of Baseball Operations Theo Epstein spoke a few days ago and said he has to do a better job making wise investments. Epstein was aiming that statement toward starting pitcher Edwin Jackson. Since Jackson's contract looks bad right now after his awful season. I just hope Epstein's statement does not mean he'll be more tight with money and not pursue Tanaka hard. General Manager Jed Hoyer said; "the Cubs will be in the process for Tanaka." I just hope Hoyer's statement means the Cubs will be all in for Tanaka.

Tanaka is not the second coming of Texas Rangers starting pitcher Yu Darvish. But Tanaka will cost more money than Darvish did. Don't get me wrong, Tanaka will be a great major league starting pitcher.

If I'm the Cubs, I would go all out and sign Tanaka to whatever price it may take. I would pay 100 million as the posting fee and then sign Tanaka to a 5-year contract worth 75-80 million. The 100 million posting fee will not count against the payroll and just the 15/16 million a year will. That does seem like a lot of money, but the Cubs have to make it happen.

The Cubs have came in second enough of times when it has come to top-line International free agents. The Cubs have to show they mean business and by signing Tanaka will do so.

Upcoming free agent classes for starting pitching is very weak and why Tanaka means a lot more to teams. By signing a young stud pitcher like Tanaka, the Cubs won't have to trade for an ace and trade your farm that have been worked on so heavily.

The Cubs need to surprise the whole MLB and the nation by signing Masahiro Tanaka!

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/11/11/chicago-cubs-have-to-surprise-nation/

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
$180 million?? For what 5-6 years? No Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
$180 million?? For what 5-6 years? No Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Yeah that will be the concern, but I just think the Cubs HAVE to land Tanaka anyway possible.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Posting fee won't get that high. It's average of 2 highest bids.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Posting fee won't get that high. It's average of 2 highest bids.

That hasn't been decided yet as far as I had heard. That was just one of many suggestions for the new system, but no changes have been announced yet.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
That hasn't been decided yet as far as I had heard. That was just one of many suggestions for the new system, but no changes have been announced yet.

As of now, I don't believe teams are even allowed to post players, and even if they were, they would most likely hold off until the new system is settled. Also wondering how any changes may affect that market, players may be seen as more or less valuable depending on how it changes and if it remain blind bidding.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
Theo said today the Cubs aren't looking for flippable pitchers any longer because they believe they really assessed their depth the past few years and love it moving forward. All moves will be looked at from a long term perspective. Tanaka definitely fits that bill but $100 million is absurd let alone $180. I'd rather sign Ellsbury and Choo, or Cano for that price.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Theo said today the Cubs aren't looking for flippable pitchers any longer because they believe they really assessed their depth the past few years and love it moving forward. All moves will be looked at from a long term perspective. Tanaka definitely fits that bill but $100 million is absurd let alone $180. I'd rather sign Ellsbury and Choo, or Cano for that price.

I disagree. Due to age and need, Tanaka is worth that money over the other three. Yes, the Cubs need OF, but I'm not high on either. It may not be that high anymore with posting fee changing for the better.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Eh, people like to a fair compare Tanaka to Darvish. Not a fair comparison. He is more like Kuroda. He is also a gamer from what I read. But, I do believe the Cubs would entice it not only cause of his skill but because of the revenue he could bring in by himself. The Cubs would get a big following from Japan again and could make for some nice revenue. Money, Money! Yea, Yea!

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Good for you! No one fucking gives a shit. If you don't have valid input, shut the fuck up and don't post at all.

[video=youtube;FkQxB5IoLnE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkQxB5IoLnE[/video]

I do agree, though.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Just another horribly written article by Waldo.

And why do you even say that, do you get praise by bashing other people while in your parents basement? I mean I don't care that you say that since your opinion means shit to me. I don't know how they makes you feel good, probably just a lonely lonely person that is a complete ass hole!

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
I would like to see the Cubs get Tanaka and then either Kazmir or Hughes. I don't want Tanaka if he costs more than David Price will because that's about where we are at $180 million. Hughes would come at a cheap cost and would be a great buy low candidate who could help beyond being a flippable piece

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Few things here.

1: posting fee don't mean crap unless you are near cap. So not counting don't mean shit.

2: the Ricketts have not proven that they are big money players. Proof? Did not extend Garza. Did not extend Shark. So some magic ball out there says they will dump 100 mil now?? On a non ace. Ok bull shit

Personal view is I would rather invest that 100 mil into players. It makes more sense giving up a 2nd round pick then paying off a team 100 mil

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would like to see the Cubs get Tanaka and then either Kazmir or Hughes. I don't want Tanaka if he costs more than David Price will because that's about where we are at $180 million. Hughes would come at a cheap cost and would be a great buy low candidate who could help beyond being a flippable piece

Scott is my fav and he won't bust the bank. Has good swing and miss stuff. Like him. I'm kinda scared that they go after Hughes. For some reason I've been getting that feeling. Only 28 won't cost a pick. Had better numbers outside of Yankee and moving to a easier league to pitch in. Plus league don't know him. It makes sense for the Cubs and seems like the type they would go after.

I just believe Tanaka is a .01%. I wouldn't even concider those odds.

I do not see them going over 50 mil on any pitcher. If they wouldn't give Garza (best out there) a big extention why would they now? There is no logic to even vback the thought.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Garza wanted a NTC and that was the biggest holdup. The Cubs obvious don't give those out and I think he would rather test the free agent market. It had nothing to do with money.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
Scott is my fav and he won't bust the bank. Has good swing and miss stuff. Like him. I'm kinda scared that they go after Hughes. For some reason I've been getting that feeling. Only 28 won't cost a pick. Had better numbers outside of Yankee and moving to a easier league to pitch in. Plus league don't know him. It makes sense for the Cubs and seems like the type they would go after.

I just believe Tanaka is a .01%. I wouldn't even concider those odds.

I do not see them going over 50 mil on any pitcher. If they wouldn't give Garza (best out there) a big extention why would they now? There is no logic to even vback the thought.

Kazmir and Hughes combined should cost less than $50 on multi year deals

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I've always been a fan of Hughes as a low bargain/high reward kind of deal.