Chicago Cubs to Offer Good Money for a Free Agent Catcher?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors hears the Chicago Cubs will offer good money for a free agent catcher. Dierkes says he's heard that from a multiple agents. Dierkes goes on to say the agents are underestimating Welington Castillo and can only see the Cubs going after a back-up catcher.

Tom Loxas of the Loxas Factor says he has heard the Cubs will be in the market for a left-handed hitting catcher. He did not mention if that's as a starter or a back-up. But Loxas loves Castillo and only sees the Cubs signing a left-handed back-up catcher.

The Cubs do indeed love Castillo and see him as a core piece, along with Starlin Castro, Anthony Rizzo and Travis Wood. Castillo had a great season on both sides of the ball (offensively and defensively).

The Cubs would love to have back-up catcher Dioner Navarro back, but many believe he'll find a better job with more playing time. Navarro should be able to find a starting job after a stellar season with the Cubs. I think the Cubs would pay to keep him, but he will be looking for more playing time more than anything else. Navarro does fit the Cubs bill as a left-handed hitting catcher. Navarro is a switch hitter.

Brian McCann is one player than stands out. As he's a left-handed hitting catcher. McCann is a good player and player than a lot of teams would like to have. It's been reported that the Texas Rangers will make a strong push for McCann. I do like McCann, but I cannot see a match.

There's speculation the Cubs could trade Castillo for a core player and sign a free agent catcher like McCann. I just don't see that happening either.

I would be shocked if the Cubs do trade Castillo after the coaching staff and front office praised his play all season long.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/10/02/chicago-cubs-to-offer-good-money-for-free-agent-catcher/

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like the idea of going for McCann, but hard to not imagine him getting overpaid given the weak market for catchers. Dionner Navarro might be the second or third best available catcher after all.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like the idea of going for McCann, but hard to not imagine him getting overpaid given the weak market for catchers. Dionner Navarro might be the second or third best available catcher after all.

Yeah that's right about McCann, but I think Navarro gets a starting gig. Maybe ATL if McCann leaves? Texas will pay for him or even Texas for Navarro.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
I actually thought Castillo was solid. I hope the Cubs get Brian Roberts for 2nd. He would just be a rental but would allow them to wait for Baez/Alcantra to truly be ready to be called up and if he is successful would become good trade bait come July. He should be available on the cheap end. But as far as big money goes I'd like Choo or even Jimenez depending on his cost.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
McCann does intrest me but thats only if they can flip Castillo for another piece. Before Cubs worry about Catcher though they need to worry about 2B, 3B, LF, CF, RF all before Catcher

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
McCann does intrest me but thats only if they can flip Castillo for another piece. Before Cubs worry about Catcher though they need to worry about 2B, 3B, LF, CF, RF all before Catcher

....and pitching, and a bullpen, and a closer, and a manager, and a coaching staff, and a bench, and Tanaka, and.........:popcorn:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castillo isn't going anywhere. Dude already ranks as one of the defensive catchers in the game and his offense came on strong before he got shut down. He also draws walks. The Cubs would be stupid to trade a young cheap option that's looks like he is still getting better.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Castillo isn't going anywhere. Dude already ranks as one of the defensive catchers in the game and his offense came on strong before he got shut down. He also draws walks. The Cubs would be stupid to trade a young cheap option that's looks like he is still getting better.

It probably depends on what the Cubs feel they need. You'd have to think that Theo & Co. are probably going to start getting creative and trading to fill voids.

Castillo could easily be part of a package to any team. Everyone on this team is expendable, and if the right deal comes along, I'm sure they will pull the trigger.

Nothing would surprise me with this administration when it comes to re-tooling the team or farm. Absolutely nothing.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I do not see the need to spend big on a back up catcher. They could bring back Blanco and be fine there. LH RH doesn't matter for a back up catcher...

Rather they address real needs first.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Yeah, they should trade for guys to play the same positions as their best prospects - the guys they've waited for fora few years. OK.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

..."best"?

"Top 30"?

LOL