Chicago Violence

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Probably because they were mostly raised by my generation, who were mostly a bunch of slackers raised by a bunch of hippies.

That's like three generations of completely structureless parenting in a world full of distractions.

Broad strokes and all. I know @HeHateMe is batting a thousand in the parenting department, so some of us overcame the dysfunction.

Or there are people like me that knew I would suck as a dad, so I never had kids.
Aw thanks. I never really thought I'd turn out to be a really good dad, and the verdict is still out as hormones are only now starting to fly around, but if I had one piece of advice for new parents it's probably the most common compliment I get: 'You talk with your kids like they are people and they speak to adults like actual people but they're little'

Imagine that, trying to raise literal people even though they are little.

What a novel concept, not tryna raise a pet, or a fucktard or whatever it is I see running around some of these playgrounds.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
yeah, sure. I just am that much less inclined to go into the office because the cta is so fucking nuts right now. with my commute, I can end up on the pink/orange/green/blue or red line, and I can't think of one of them where someone hasn't been murked or seriously fucked up this year alone
I haven't been up there in several years. Sad to hear it's gotten this bad. I used to enjoy getting around the city using CTA. Usually would buy a multi day pass and use that to get around. Are certain routes still ok? Say like the brown line from River North to the Loop? Or is it just all fucked right now?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Aw thanks. I never really thought I'd turn out to be a really good dad, and the verdict is still out as hormones are only now starting to fly around, but if I had one piece of advice for new parents it's probably the most common compliment I get: 'You talk with your kids like they are people and they speak to adults like actual people but they're little'

What a novel concept, not tryna raise a pet, or a fucktard or whatever it is I see running around some of these playgrounds.
Yep.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Shootings happen anywhere there are assholes i guess.

My oldest brother is a lifelong Chicago resident. I lived near him for a couple years when I was young and visit him frequently.

I can honestly say that I have never once seen random violence occur, nor have I ever felt in danger.

From my experience over the years, do what you do, and don't worry about it.
Every time I have seen fights or whatnot they all start exactly like they do in the burbs or the boonies.
Couple of assholes being assholes and escalating shit.

I imagine if you were drunk out of your mind waiting at an l stop you might have to worry about getting rolled, but otherwise I don't see the city as any more or less dangerous than the burbs for an average and mildly intelligent person.
You have a lot more experience in Chicago than I do, but I have family who lives in the burbs and family in the city and I think the burbs are certainly more safe.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:

I mean chit I'm an adult and I'm still little so...definitely teach them to be a person whether they become normal sized or remain little.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Everyone's experience will be different depending on what parts of Chicago they spend most of their time in. Personally, I rarely feel unsafe, but I also avoid the bad neighborhoods like the plague. When I'm out and about elsewhere throughout the city, I've mostly been fine. Sometimes you gotta keep your eye on sketchy looking people, but that would be the case anywhere.

But, hearing stories from friends and family, I would say that I have heard more concerning stories over the last couple of years. My mom lives in the Norwood Park area, which is historically safe neighborhood. Over the last few years, you definitely see a lot more gang graffiti scattered around the neighborhood, more reports of theft, and a lot more seedy looking people later at night than I remember when I was younger. There's also been an increase in stories I have heard about regarding shootings in the area.

Shortly before the pandemic a few friends and I did experience a very sketchy situation. We went to a Subway really late a night because a couple of my friends were hungry. This was again around the Norwood Park area. While we were inside sitting and talking, these two sketchy ass dudes walk in. They're both yelling, and one of them starts clapping at the Subway employee behind the counter and he quickly started making a sandwich. the other one kicked open the door to the woman's bathroom, went inside and you just hear him yelling random things. He comes out shortly after, grabs a bag of ships off the rack and starts yelling at the employee to hurry up. Needless to say, my friends and I got the fuck out of there.

I also have a few friends with the CPD, and they've all mentioned that crime has gotten worse over the last couple of years. I hired a former cop, who quit the force shortly after the George Floyd incident because he and his partner were shot at while on patrol in their car. He's a single dad with 2 young daughters and decided it wasn't worth it anymore. Of course, he still keeps in contact with a lot of his friends with the CPD, and he regularly shares stories of how bad things are. It's to the point where a lot of the cops, primarily in the bad areas, aren't even enforcing the law because they just don't think it's worth it. So the crime is going up and the people who are supposed to stop it don't want to.

All-in-all, if you're not in a gang, exercise good judgement, and avoid the bad neighborhoods, you should be fine.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
People keep getting killed on the I-10 in Nola. Im pretty sure the police have zero leads. Stay in the light

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Everyone's experience will be different depending on what parts of Chicago they spend most of their time in. Personally, I rarely feel unsafe, but I also avoid the bad neighborhoods like the plague. When I'm out and about elsewhere throughout the city, I've mostly been fine. Sometimes you gotta keep your eye on sketchy looking people, but that would be the case anywhere.

But, hearing stories from friends and family, I would say that I have heard more concerning stories over the last couple of years. My mom lives in the Norwood Park area, which is historically safe neighborhood. Over the last few years, you definitely see a lot more gang graffiti scattered around the neighborhood, more reports of theft, and a lot more seedy looking people later at night than I remember when I was younger. There's also been an increase in stories I have heard about regarding shootings in the area.

Shortly before the pandemic a few friends and I did experience a very sketchy situation. We went to a Subway really late a night because a couple of my friends were hungry. This was again around the Norwood Park area. While we were inside sitting and talking, these two sketchy ass dudes walk in. They're both yelling, and one of them starts clapping at the Subway employee behind the counter and he quickly started making a sandwich. the other one kicked open the door to the woman's bathroom, went inside and you just hear him yelling random things. He comes out shortly after, grabs a bag of ships off the rack and starts yelling at the employee to hurry up. Needless to say, my friends and I got the fuck out of there.

I also have a few friends with the CPD, and they've all mentioned that crime has gotten worse over the last couple of years. I hired a former cop, who quit the force shortly after the George Floyd incident because he and his partner were shot at while on patrol in their car. He's a single dad with 2 young daughters and decided it wasn't worth it anymore. Of course, he still keeps in contact with a lot of his friends with the CPD, and he regularly shares stories of how bad things are. It's to the point where a lot of the cops, primarily in the bad areas, aren't even enforcing the law because they just don't think it's worth it. So the crime is going up and the people who are supposed to stop it don't want to.

All-in-all, if you're not in a gang, exercise good judgement, and avoid the bad neighborhoods, you should be fine.
Lol uh thanks for the tip

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I go to Chicago twice a week for work in the heart of downtown. I've never felt remotely worried nor seen anything that left me scratching my head. I think inflation is creating greater income inequality, while supply chains being jammed is making for more expensive goods like used cars, and the media is overblowing it a bit, thus creating a perfect storm

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
For those of us who live here… we moved from logan square to brighton park in the last 4 years and it has gotten way worse on both sides. As far as avoiding the bad neighborhoods, not sure how you do that when getting car-jacked in river north

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For those of us who live here… we moved from logan square to brighton park in the last 4 years and it has gotten way worse on both sides. As far as avoiding the bad neighborhoods, not sure how you do that when getting car-jacked in river north