Chris Ballard/ Sweaty Teddy

Montucky

Liked Posts:
By the way, I've heard this idea that you ask Phillips to step down as Team President, but keep him on as your main money man. That doesn't work.

I'm reminded of a story that was told by Adam Hoge and Adam Jahns on their Athletic podcast.

In 2001, the Bears had identified a guy coming out of college that they knew beyond a shadow of a doubt was going to be an amazing NFL player, possibly a Hall of Famer. This was back before salaries for draftees were slotted. You just signed your guy to however much money you agreed on, so high draft picks made A LOT of money (Sam Bradford was the last such guy).

Mark Hatley went to Ted Phillips and asked for the money to sign this player so that Hatley could trade up in the draft and get him. Hatley knew he could get a deal done to move up, but wanted to make sure the Bears brass were willing to pony up the money.

Phillips said no, it was just too much money. The Bears stood pat at #8 and drafted David Terrell.

The guy they were after went #5 to the Chargers, was a consummate All-Pro, and made the Hall of Fame.

That guy was LaDanian Tomlinson.

All because Teddy didn't want to put aside the cash.

Don't you think the Bears would've made some major bank if they had LaDanian Tomlinson in the backfield deking out defenders week after week at Soldier?

There are plenty of other stories like this.

This is the danger of keeping Phillips on as the money man.

Point being, no, don't be the Bulls, who keep shitty people around because they have a personal relationship with the brass, or brass doesn't have the balls to kick them to the curb. Sever the relationship, cut out the cancer. That may also include the McCaskeys, although I'd settle for starting with Phillips.
This is almost certainly bullshit. The Bears always have a payroll well above the salary floor and have handed out record deals multiple times. They made Eddie Jackson the league's highest paid safety and Khalil Mack the highest paid defender ever, there's just no indication they lose because they are cheap.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This has been my point about Ballard. If Nagy or McDaniels went through with the Colts, they'd be where the Bears are right now. Reich was luck as he was the only one left available, and they win with the DC McDaniels picked. He's also had no plan for QB, unless you think they are going somewhere in the AFC with Rivers.

He has also traded out of the first twice after drafting a safety and a Guard (can't argue with that pick) in the first. Bears fans would lose their mind over this.

He also struggled heavy with skill positions, while spending a lot of draft capital on them. I don't actually think Ballard would be much more successful than Pace if he were here.
No way to know but really couldn't be a whole lot worse on O. Would we have this D?

Bust

Liked Posts:
Ted's made millions off the McCaskey's, dudes been with the franchise since 1984.

He must have ownership or part ownership aspirations (when Virginia passes) for him to ride the wave as long as he has.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Lol at trusting bitter ex-Bear Greg Gabriel. This is the same guy that just say Kmet was like Zach Ertz and who lost and threatened people on social media.

Regardless of "bitterness".....the key is whether Gabriel is telling the truth. After all Gabriel did work for the Bears. He's not an outsider to the org.

MarkBear

?⬇️
Liked Posts:
Can we stop with this Ballard infatuation?The guy has done better than Pace, but he hasn't won shit and does anyone think they are an actual superbowl contender? He hasn't shown he has any more ability to fix the QB or pick a coach.

Aim higher.
It’s not about Ballard as much as it is about Teddy. That’s was an example of the dumb owner decisions

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Regardless of "bitterness".....the key is whether Gabriel is telling the truth. After all Gabriel did work for the Bears. He's not an outsider to the org.

Does this sound like a man telling the truth. He is delusional. He was literally trying to claim scouts were right about Brown coming out of college as if Brown didn't essentially have a HoF career before imploding the last couple of years.

okay but it’s not like he’s the only one saying it’s true

Ok who else has said it that was relying on GG as a source?

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

Does this sound like a man telling the truth. He is delusional. He was literally trying to claim scouts were right about Brown coming out of college as if Brown didn't essentially have a HoF career before imploding the last couple of years.

i have no idea if Hoge and Jahns was “relying” on GG but they said it was true as well with no mention of GG.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Knowing what I know about the Bears ownership GG was probably on target with the Ballard situation.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Too bad Phillips allowed pace to sign all those bad contracts for big money. Seems money isn’t the issue anymore when it comes to players. It’s just terrible front office and coaching moves made by football stupid people
I thought when George took over, Phillips’ role changed specifically around money? Could be wishful thinking on my part i guess

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
i have no idea if Hoge and Jahns was “relying” on GG but they said it was true as well with no mention of GG.

If you are referring to the above, this only speaks to his wanting changes to structure. It does not specifically say anything about wanting to get rid of the person actually responsible for hiring him. So you are correct there is no mention of GG but there is also no mention of replacing Phillips either. The article also points out Pace was given considerable control over all aspects of football operations. How dumb would Ballard have to be to propose firing the guy hiring him?

Ballard: Hey, thanks Ted for interviewing me as this is my dream job. I have some great ideas of how to move the organization forward first and foremost getting rid of you.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Knowing what I know about the Bears ownership GG was probably on target with the Ballard situation.

And what do you know? Do you have an inside source at Halas Hall? Are you part of the McCaskey resistance within the organization.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

If you are referring to the above, this only speaks to his wanting changes to structure. It does not specifically say anything about wanting to get rid of the person actually responsible for hiring him. So you are correct there is no mention of GG but there is also no mention of replacing Phillips either. The article also points out Pace was given considerable control over all aspects of football operations. How dumb would Ballard have to be to propose firing the guy hiring him?

Ballard: Hey, thanks Ted for interviewing me as this is my dream job. I have some great ideas of how to move the organization forward first and foremost getting rid of you.
no i was referring to their most recent podcast after the Sunday Night game in which they called on George McCaskey to “be bold” and evaluate everybody’s position in the organization after naming Ted Phillips by name. they asked how many times does he get to go through this charade before somebody starts looking at him and wonder if he might be part of the problem especially given what we know now about Chris Ballard.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
no i was referring to their most recent podcast after the Sunday Night game in which they called on George McCaskey to “be bold” and evaluate everybody’s position in the organization after naming Ted Phillips by name. they asked how many times does he get to go through this charade before somebody starts looking at him and wonder if he might be part of the problem especially given what we know now about Chris Ballard.

The article is of that podcast. It is Nov 30 2020 ie the Monday after the podcast. And this is a different argument that what I was debating. I have no problem with everyone in Halas Hall being fired including Philips.

The point is nothing Hoge and Jahns said per the article confirms that Ballard specifically wanted Phillips gone back in 2015 which is what the OP is about.

Philips turned football operations over to Pace. Pace has had a mixed record but the Bears' failings stem from the one fateful decision not to draft Mahomes or Watson. I don't think Philips had anything to do with that decision. Nor do I think he has anything to do with Pace and Nagy failing to address the OL. If he is fired it should be for things he is actually responsible ie the lack of any consistent long term success rather than trying to blame him for Pace's fuck-ups. He is ultimately responsible for the Pace hire not for individual decisions.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here is my number one issue with firing Ted Phillips...who is hiring his replacement???

It's lose/lose.

I said it before, I like Ted Phillips because the more involved with the team he has become...the less involved the McCaskeys themselves are.

That's win/win.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
The article is of that podcast. It is Nov 30 2020 ie the Monday after the podcast. And this is a different argument that what I was debating. I have no problem with everyone in Halas Hall being fired including Philips.

The point is nothing Hoge and Jahns said per the article confirms that Ballard specifically wanted Phillips gone back in 2015 which is what the OP is about.

Philips turned football operations over to Pace. Pace has had a mixed record but the Bears' failings stem from the one fateful decision not to draft Mahomes or Watson. I don't think Philips had anything to do with that decision. Nor do I think he has anything to do with Pace and Nagy failing to address the OL. If he is fired it should be for things he is actually responsible ie the lack of any consistent long term success rather than trying to blame him for Pace's fuck-ups. He is ultimately responsible for the Pace hire not for individual decisions.
and i’m saying that on the podcast they said it. if they didn’t write it i have no control over but they said it on the podcast. the problem with your logic is Phillips is indirectly responsible for the Trubisky fuck up by hiring Ryan Pace. somebody gave the monkey a machine gun. i am listening to the podcast they dropped yesterday right now as i type this and they said “Ballard wanted to report directly to the McCaskeys, Pace reports to Phillips who reports to the McCaskeys.” Why report to Ted if he’s got no control over football?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

And what do you know? Do you have an inside source at Halas Hall? Are you part of the McCaskey resistance within the organization.

ha, ha,ha

I understand the Bear org. is solely guided by the P&L. Now, Question for u.....Specifically How long have u followed the Bears? What yr. did start following them?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
and i’m saying that on the podcast they said it. if they didn’t write it i have no control over but they said it on the podcast. the problem with your logic is Phillips is indirectly responsible for the Trubisky fuck up by hiring Ryan Pace. somebody gave the monkey a machine gun. i am listening to the podcast they dropped yesterday right now as i type this and they said “Ballard wanted to report directly to the McCaskeys, Pace reports to Phillips who reports to the McCaskeys.”

Why report to Ted if he’s got no control over football?

Good point

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
and i’m saying that on the podcast they said it. if they didn’t write it i have no control over but they said it on the podcast. the problem with your logic is Phillips is indirectly responsible for the Trubisky fuck up by hiring Ryan Pace. somebody gave the monkey a machine gun. i am listening to the podcast they dropped yesterday right now as i type this and they said “Ballard wanted to report directly to the McCaskeys, Pace reports to Phillips who reports to the McCaskeys.” Why report to Ted if he’s got no control over football?

Yeah and other reports said Ballard was walking around like the job was guaranteed his to lose and then got pissed when Pace beat him out. So it is all speculative bullshit. Greg and Ballard are buddies going back to when they both worked for the Bears. Ballard is also friends with Hoge as he was a scout when Hoge was on the Bears in 1994.

And I already said if you want to fire Phillips for the Pace hire then fine by me. The point was Philips has fuck all to do with football operations directly so any dumb moves by Pace and Nagy are theirs and theirs alone. But by all means fire Philips for being the one to hire Pace not because he is actually involved in football operations.

The reality is Ballard would have been given full control of football operations just like Pace was whether he reported to Philips or the McCaskeys so it is a stupid thing to not take a job over.

Here let me make this simple. How does reporting to an incompetent McCaskey improve the Bears over reporting to an incompetent Philips? Does that mean we don't take 3M? You ask why report to Ted if he has no control over football but why report to McCaskey if he has no control over football? It is a distinction without a difference.

Neither guy would be directly involved in football so again it is a stupid thing to refuse a job over. So you are falling for a bullshit argument. I would believe this more if Ballard or his media stooges could put forward a logical argument for why McCaskey would be a superior person to report to if he has zero involvement in football operations as well. The only value here is for Ballard to save face for losing out to Pace because there is zero value in reporting to McCaskey over Philips as both are pretty clueless about football operations.

Last edited:

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

Yeah and other reports said Ballard was walking around like the job was guaranteed his to lose and then got pissed when Pace beat him out. So it is all speculative bullshit. Greg and Ballard are buddies going back to when they both worked for the Bears. Ballard is also friends with Hoge as he was a scout when Hoge was on the Bears in 1994.

And I already said if you want to fire Phillips for the Pace hire then fine by me. The point was Philips has fuck all to do with football operations directly so any dumb moves by Pace and Nagy are theirs and theirs alone. But by all means fire Philips for being the one to hire Pace not because he is actually involved in football operations.

The reality is Ballard would have been given full control of football operations just like Pace was whether he reported to Philips or the McCaskeys so it is a stupid thing to not take a job over. Hence why I lean more towards it being bullshit made up by Ballard and spread by his buddies to save face.

Here let me make this simple. How does reporting to an incompetent McCaskey improve the Bears over reporting ton an incompetent Philips? Does that mean we don't take 3M? It is a distinction without a difference.
nope. Phillips is not only responsible for Pace but also forced Fox, or at least pressured Pace into hiring him, onto Pace after hiring him. that was the guy the mccaskeys / phillips wanted because of the acorsi familiarity. this is not how an NFL franchise is supposed to operate. it’s frankly unprofessional and counter productive if you hire yes men and don’t allow them to make decisions.