Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No.

So we have to pick a new nickname. Baby Gronk is still on the team.

So Gronk 3.0?
Nagy called him Robocop. At ND it was Comet.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is literally no negative comments about Kmet in this thread, closest thing is halftime's unflattering nickname. The criticism is of hacks like Simms lazy comparison or calling him a super star. Reminds me of the Grossman/Favre comparisons after his fast 4 game start to 2006. LTFOL

Thank you. My teasing is more about some of the fans and media that come up with these ridiculous comparisons that always seem to blow up in our face. The only position that the Bears historically eff up more than QB is TE. (IMO)

I'll look up and post our TE drafts for 50 years, and we'll see how it looks. (Rounds 1 -3 only.)

I sincerely hope Kmet is good TE for the next decade.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
So I went back to the '70s and four draft rounds deep. Olsen just adds to the embarrassment because we gave him away in his prime. Arguably the worst trade in Bears history.

2020 2 Cole Kmet
2017 2 Adam Shaheen
2012 4 Evan Rodriguez
2007 1 Greg Olsen
2000 3 Dustin Lyman
1998 4 Alonzo Mayes
1997 2 John Allred
1993 3 Chris Gedney
1988 4 James Thornton
1983 4 Pat Dunsmore
1982 3 Tim Wrightman
1977 3 Robin Earl
1972 5 Bob Parsons

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
So I went back to the '70s and four draft rounds deep. Olsen just adds to the embarrassment because we gave him away in his prime. Arguably the worst trade in Bears history.
It was bad taken out of context, but it was the correct move not knowing the Martz would be gone in a year.
Olsen was coming into a contract year. Olsen, rightfully, was never going to sign an extension to play under the receiving TE averse Martz, the Bears were never going to pay him big money to just block. If they don't trade him he would have been gone for nothing then next offseason.
Martz was an easily predictable horrible move that just got worse when rather than him adapting to his best players, the Bears just shipped them off.

Remember that the Car pick was then dealt as part of the Brandon Marshall deal. Add in signing M.Bennett to replace Olsen and drafting Alshon in 2012 and that was some fun offense to watch for a few years.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

2020 2 Cole Kmet
2017 2 Adam Shaheen
2012 4 Evan Rodriguez
2007 1 Greg Olsen
2000 3 Dustin Lyman
1998 4 Alonzo Mayes
1997 2 John Allred
1993 3 Chris Gedney
1988 4 James Thornton
1983 4 Pat Dunsmore
1982 3 Tim Wrightman
1977 3 Robin Earl
1972 5 Bob Parsons
Amazing how we handled the only good one we drafted before this year.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was bad taken out of context, but it was the correct move not knowing the Martz would be gone in a year.
Olsen was coming into a contract year. Olsen, rightfully, was never going to sign an extension to play under the receiving TE averse Martz, the Bears were never going to pay him big money to just block. If they don't trade him he would have been gone for nothing then next offseason.
Martz was an easily predictable horrible move that just got worse when rather than him adapting to his best players, the Bears just shipped them off.

You're right. It was more of a bad coaching move that lead to it.

But years later no one remembers that stuff or even cares. Same will happen with Trubisky's draft grades as justification of picking him over the other two super stars.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You're right. It was more of a bad coaching move that lead to it.

But years later no one remembers that stuff or even cares. Same will happen with Trubisky's draft grades as justification of picking him over the other two super stars.
I agree, I think his LV, LVI and LVIII SB MVP's will have the Trubiskites crowing like crazy.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know, right? Simms gives the kiss of death. Fortunately, he's just finding a fluff story with no real player news in this offseason.

Best part of that article was Pace finding 2 1st rounders in round 2.
We may be better off without a 1st, LOL.

Bad part is one of the so called 1st rounders is from Notre Dame AKA NFL bust university, and he can't block for shit, the other one has some injury concerns, but if he can stay healthy, he might be very good.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wasn't Simms ripping on Mitch? So there's that. While right & wrong at times he's not a gushy rainbows & sprinkles for everyone type.

That said, does Kmet have a mean streak in him? Shaheen, Floyd, and other busts all seem quiet & soft; athletic prowess be damned. NFL stars have that extra edge like Kittle & Kelce. They go out looking to bust skulls. Even with Roquan, Hicks, & Mack kinda quiet off the field, but have a tough mean switch between the lines for sure. Kmet seems fairly reserved so far. Serious question.

Is Kmet a badass in pads?? Hope so, especially if he's to become a great blocker & not just prance around downfield now & then like Shaheen.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bad part is one of the so called 1st rounders is from Notre Dame AKA NFL bust university, and he can't block for shit, the other one has some injury concerns, but if he can stay healthy, he might be very good.
You obviously didn’t see him play. Willing acceptable blocker. Also, Smith was a good 1st Round pick and Kmet was actually a 2nd and probably belonged where he was drafted. I can still like that the author thought him a 1. I would have preferred a top T fall to us this draft but they were gone outside of Jones who must have come with some concerns. I doubt we see much production from any of this year’s TEs unless the coaches noticeably limit their responsibilities .

Last edited:

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since we are giving opinions on Kmet, I don't have a clue how he will play, but am hoping for the best, in my opinion.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wasn't Simms ripping on Mitch? So there's that. While right & wrong at times he's not a gushy rainbows & sprinkles for everyone type.

That said, does Kmet have a mean streak in him? Shaheen, Floyd, and other busts all seem quiet & soft; athletic prowess be damned. NFL stars have that extra edge like Kittle & Kelce. They go out looking to bust skulls. Even with Roquan, Hicks, & Mack kinda quiet off the field, but have a tough mean switch between the lines for sure. Kmet seems fairly reserved so far. Serious question.

Is Kmet a badass in pads?? Hope so, especially if he's to become a great blocker & not just prance around downfield now & then like Shaheen.

I'm certain I read that for his size, his blocking is nothing special. I asked this same question to ND fans and got the "shitty blocking scheme" as the fault.

Just keep in mind, many posters blamed ISU's blocking for David Montgomery's 3rd round draft status....like it woulda been higher if he had a better o-line. I'm not knocking Monty, I think he can be a beast, but I'm always wary of "excuses right outta college." Many college super fans have worse blinders on than pro fans. They cannot admit the super star at their alma mater doesn't have NFL talent.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Has nothing to do with fans watch the tape for the later part of the year when he was all the way back. He's not a road grade but keeps his guy out of a lane. You don't use 2nds on blocking TEs, even if you expect them to be able to carry off a block.