Chris Simms on Trubisky

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Chris Simms seems to be putting some of the Trubs failure on Nagy and Pace....there was no reason to play him when we had the giraffe, no Oline, No weapons etc...

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mitch-Nagy clearly didn't work. I tend to blame Mitch for that. I have no concerns in my mind about "What could Mitch have been if 'x' was different". Mitch isn't good and wasn't going to be good. It was a bad pick.

So with that, my concern isn't so much about how little Nagy was able to do to get blood out of a turnip, but how he will be able to operate with a higher level of QB. Nobody thinks Foles is the answer, but he should be enough of a known commodity to let Nagy prove he should get another shot at developing a QB (Pace OTOH, I want nowhere near that decision).

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Mitch-Nagy clearly didn't work. I tend to blame Mitch for that. I have no concerns in my mind about "What could Mitch have been if 'x' was different". Mitch isn't good and wasn't going to be good. It was a bad pick.

So with that, my concern isn't so much about how little Nagy was able to do to get blood out of a turnip, but how he will be able to operate with a higher level of QB. Nobody thinks Foles is the answer, but he should be enough of a known commodity to let Nagy prove he should get another shot at developing a QB (Pace OTOH, I want nowhere near that decision).
yeah so if Foles looks bad and Nagy still makes the head scratching play calls and keeps abandoning the run i would think he's in trouble

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Chris Simms seems to be putting some of the Trubs failure on Nagy and Pace....there was no reason to play him when we had the giraffe, no Oline, No weapons etc...

Nagy never had the giraffe on his team. Fox benched the giraffe for Trubs

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is absurd to think his failures in taking the next step are somehow related to playing in 2017 as if 2018 didn't happen. It would be one thing if he looked like shit in 2018 as well but he played well enough to give people hope.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Simms also rates Mitch in the 30s so not sure what that's about. Then there's this. Kurt Warner rips Chris Simms for NFL QB rankings

Simms is an opinionated idiot so if he's right it's by happenstance. Two things I agree with are that Mitch should not have played his 1st year but that's on Fox, not Pace and Nagy's play calling but I don't think last year would have been successful even if we pounded the ball. It was one of those clusterfuck years you hope an anomaly. That said, Mitch has had enough time to overcome the early start.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Nobody thinks Foles is the answer, but he should be enough of a known commodity to let Nagy prove he should get another shot at developing a QB (Pace OTOH, I want nowhere near that decision).

I honestly think Mitch should get a few games. Give him 4 games, and then you have the final 12 to evaluate what Nagy can do with Foles.

There is nothing more we can learn about the Nagy/Foles combination by letting them go 16 games instead of 12.

We have it fairly easy the first 4 games (Lions/Giants/Falcons/Colts-- none went better than 7-9). Defense should win these games alone.

I think also at the end of season will have a comparison of Nagy's performance with 2 QBs and can make a decision on his future with the best information.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Nagy has plenty of blame, but I find it weird that Simms biggest criticism on Nagy is how he handled Mitchell in his first year in the NFL. Nagy didn't work for the Bears in Mitchells first year, so I immediately am suspect of the accuracy of SImms conclusions based on this incorrect information. He clearly hasn't carefully reviewed his position on this, not that he necessarily would given hes not a Bears beat writer.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I honestly think Mitch should get a few games. Give him 4 games, and then you have the final 12 to evaluate what Nagy can do with Foles.

There is nothing more we can learn about the Nagy/Foles combination by letting them go 16 games instead of 12.

We have it fairly easy the first 4 games (Lions/Giants/Falcons/Colts-- none went better than 7-9). Defense should win these games alone.

I think also at the end of season will have a comparison of Nagy's performance with 2 QBs and can make a decision on his future with the best information.

Why just give Mitch 4 games? If he can’t beat out Foles in the offseason/preseason then he is not good enough to be given 4 games. There is no logic to that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The funny thing is some of the advanced metrics from Mitch's 1st year he has yet to match under Nagy. The reality is I think Fox and Loggains had the right idea which was to bring him along slowly. The dude is simply a mental midget and needs time to process and digest. His intermediate passing to absolute shit WRs was actually pretty good in 2017.

The problem is entirely with Nagy trying to give him too much. He was a college QB with 13 career starts. Lest we forget Nagy had to dial back the playbook in 2018 and again this year because he was overloading Mitch.

Nagy dumping all that motion and other complicated shit is what ruined him IMO but it is just easier to pin it on Fox because he is not considered a QB guru.

Last edited:

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
100% agree with Remy on this one. Mitch clearly is no Mensa member, but has all of the physical traits to be an above average QB. They should have kept the offense dumbed down long enough for him to have success with the basics and then slowing added as he was able to understand. Instead, Nagy dumped the whole thing on him, which he clearly couldn't handle, and then dialed it back. I'm sure that was a severe confidence sap for a young player at the most complex position in all of professional sports. Who knows what happens this year, but I think Nagy deserves a large apportionment of the blame for how he handled the installation of the offense.

Bearman 43

Liked Posts:

Apparently you don't read as well as you post,Nagy,himself, said that he doesn't work w/players ,QB's, to make them better!

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I think Loggains smartly played to his strengths and Fox went ultra conservative w/ him which was smart at the time. If Foles comes in here and the offense doesn't start clicking I think Nagy will need to be gone.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Why just give Mitch 4 games? If he can’t beat out Foles in the offseason/preseason then he is not good enough to be given 4 games. There is no logic to that.

3 reasons.

1). Trubisky, to some degree, is not a completely known entity like Foles. With such a huge investment, I don't think 4 games is unreasonable to make absolutely certain he can never be a starter.

2). I don't want any more excuses for Nagy. What if Foles starts all 16 games, posts an 89 QBR, the Bears go 9-7 and we miss the playoffs. Seeing 2 QBs play under the same offense helps show if problems are systemic.

3). Offseason/Preseason, especially this year, is a complete unknown. Its not really a quality gauge. A few games under the gun is the best test for sure.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
If you accidentally draft Michael Vick you play to Vick's strengths, you don't try to turn Vick into Peyton Manning. Trubisky may not have been the right one to draft but trying to turn him into what he isn't is on Nagy 100%.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I don't want any more excuses for Nagy. What if Foles starts all 16 games, posts an 89 QBR, the Bears go 9-7 and we miss the playoffs. Seeing 2 QBs play under the same offense helps show if problems are systemic.

Nonsense. You don't need to get a look at both to determine it's systemic. Any intelligent viewer could see last year that Mitch sucked when other factors were all ok for a some plays,

and could also see that Mitch had no chance given a blown block upfront when one or more OL lost their fairy dust from their godmothers and turned back into subway turnstiles

or defenders wrapped around receivers due to no separation

or defenders jumping routes because their DC knew exactly what Nagy was calling

etc etc

We needed no more info from another QB to see that all these things were issues week in and week out and only appeared cleaned up when facing subpar defenses and subpar DCs (basically just DET and DAL from my memory).

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Mitch wasn't the only one struggling in '19... So many plays had WR's standing in the same exact spot dropping balls, OL running into themselves or not knowing the snap count or just flat out falling over because they weren't physically able to perform their duties, sooo many 3rd and longs... Ineptitude all around falls on Nagy. Mitch is not a good decision maker, Nagy made him look worse.

In'18, Mitch's legs and abandoning the play call made him look good on occasion along with solid scripted plays by Nagy. Parkey really fucked up Nagy's brain.