Christian Jones brings underrated value to Chicago Bears defense

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Christian Jones brings underrated value to Chicago Bears defense​

When the Chicago Bears signed Christian Jonesthere was not much made of it. He is a depth player who has been with the Bears before, so it got passed over quickly. However, Jones has played a significant number of snaps for the Detroit Lions in the past three years, and you have to wonder if he is going to have a bigger role in 2021 than some are expecting.

Over the past three seasons, Jones has played 65%, 67%, and 46% of the defensive snaps. He is not a firm piece, but for two years he was getting starter snaps, and last year he certainly had a role.

When examining his role, one of his better attributes came as a pass rusher. For the Detroit Lions, he rushed the passer on 21% of his defensive snaps. Last season, he rushed on 32%, the most of his career.

When we looked into the role in which Danny Trevathan played it was worth highlighting he was blitzing 8% of the time, and his career-high never touched 10%. Roquan Smith blitzes even less, and that includes Vic Fangio.

A quick thought of Jones signing was that Trevathan was aging and that Jones could provide depth as a backup. However, unless they plan to blitz Trevathan more, which may be smart, it may be a different role that they are after.

Another article we recently wrote highlighted that Vic Fangio, Brandon Staley, and most likely Sean Desai are looking for edge rushers with versatility. Robert Quinn is a situational pass rusher because his inability to defend the run as well as being no threat to drop into coverage makes him easier to scheme around.

Jeremiah Attachou and Christian Jones may not flash on highlight plays like Quinn, but down in and down out they are more equipped to defend the run and drop into coverage.

Attachou was just in a Vic Fangio defense where he dropped into coverage 8% of the time, which would be a career-high for Robert Quinn.

However, the key is that Attachou defended the run 40% of the time he was on the field, and Jones was at 47% for his career, and 52% last season. Robert Quinn defended the run on 32% of his snaps last season.

For comparison, Khalil Mack played 381 run defense snaps, Robert Quinn played 191. The Bears will either need to give him a heavy dose of increased snaps against the run, or they have to find players who can bring value against the run on at least 190 snaps, if not more considering they will have to spell Mack on a few run defense snaps.

Attachou played 167 snaps against the run and Jones played 263 last season.
The reality is that Jones is not just a Trevathan backup, but not just a Quinn backup either. The Bears can use him in both areas knowing that he is strong against the run and as a blitzer, and knowing that he has lined up between the guards, but also outside of the tackles.

The Bears can use Jones, Trevathan, Smith, and Mack as their four “Linebackers”, and then convert to Quinn, Jones, Smith, and Mack if needed. On the cuff, Jones is not pegged in for “starter” snaps.

However, you could likely expect him on the field closer to the 45% he saw last season which is not something you would see from a typical backup linebacker.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Jones returns to Bears driven to prove himself​

When he reconnected with a few former Bears teammates at safety Deon Bush's wedding in February, Christian Jones had no idea he'd be rejoining them in Chicago.
The veteran linebacker remained under contract with the Lions at the time. But he was released by Detroit less than three weeks later and decided to return for a second stint with the Bears, signing a one-year contract.
"It was cool to be able to catch up with those guys, just talk about how they're doing in their lives," Jones said. "Just a month later I found out I was coming here, so it was crazy."
Jones entered the NFL with the Bears in 2014 as an undrafted free agent from Florida State. He appeared in 63 games with 31 starts over four seasons, registering 262 tackles, 4.0 sacks, 10 tackles-for-loss and eight pass breakups. The 6-3, 245-pounder was also a regular contributor on special teams.
Jones then signed with the Lions in 2018 and spent the past three seasons in Detroit, recording 177 tackles, 3.0 sacks, 7.0 tackles-for-loss and eight pass breakups while starting 42 of 45 games played.
The Florida native opted to rejoin the Bears in part because of his familiarity with the players, the defense and defensive coordinator Sean Desai, who was a defensive quality control coach during the linebacker's first four NFL seasons in Chicago.
A star at Florida State, Jones was being projected as a second- or third-round pick in the 2014 draft. But he went undrafted and, as a result, joined the Bears with a sizeable chip on his shoulder, determined to prove that he could perform at a high level in the NFL.
After seven years in the league, Jones returns to Chicago just as driven as he was as a rookie—but with a slightly different source of motivation.
"[Not getting drafted] kind of molded me into the player I am today," he said. "Now that I'm older and I have more experience, it's more about continuing to show that I can still do it. It's still the same thing, just a little different."
Jones was a regular starter in all three of his seasons with the Lions. But he's expected to be a reserve with the Bears behind veterans Roquan Smith and Danny Trevathan. Regardless of what's asked of him, however, Jones intends to perform his job to the best of his ability.
"I'm ready to do whatever the team needs me to do," Jones said. "I see myself as a good football player, a starter in this league. But whatever role they want me in, I'm going to embrace it and I'm going to do all I can, and when the opportunity comes up, I'm going to take advantage of it."

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
The article is implying that Christian Jones can back up Quinn and play edge?

Is this another shitty FanSided article?

Does anyone think Christian Jones is going to get snaps at edge?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

Hes played some OLB in the past and was actually signed out of college as more of an EDGE guy. He was used to blitz a ton, so I don't see any reason he can't be used there. Also as they said he's better against the run than Quinn

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Olb is a linebacker ..... So yes he could possibly play it like so.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

He did in Detroit

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

I think Jones could, but I really don't think that is the role he was brought back to the Bears for. I do see him as a backup to Trevathan and used inside on passing downs. Now I can see a combo of Attachou/Quinn vs run/pass.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

yes

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Yes he will. Desai like Fangio will likely try and disguise where the rush is coming from. A guy like Jones on the outside allows him to blitz Quan and DT and drop Jones back into coverage like Fangio did with Floyd. Quinn will likely be saved for passing downs. Desai will likely have a lot of different looks.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

Yes he will. Desai like Fangio will likely try and disguise where the rush is coming from. A guy like Jones on the outside allows him to blitz Quan and DT and drop Jones back into coverage like Fangio did with Floyd. Quinn will likely be saved for passing downs. Desai will likely have a lot of different looks.

Wow. Mr. "I'm always right never wrong and know everything" can't even figure out how Christian Jones would be used as a pass rusher. :jonesy:

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I really don't have a problem with this signing, but letting Kevin Pierre-Louis go seems like the most obvious "d'oh" Pace has made in a bit. That dude was amazing off the bench.

Jones was always a decent ST-er if a bit slow in coverage (but not Timu-slow).

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:

Christian Jones brings underrated value to Chicago Bears defense​

When the Chicago Bears signed Christian Jonesthere was not much made of it. He is a depth player who has been with the Bears before, so it got passed over quickly. However, Jones has played a significant number of snaps for the Detroit Lions in the past three years, and you have to wonder if he is going to have a bigger role in 2021 than some are expecting.

Over the past three seasons, Jones has played 65%, 67%, and 46% of the defensive snaps. He is not a firm piece, but for two years he was getting starter snaps, and last year he certainly had a role.

When examining his role, one of his better attributes came as a pass rusher. For the Detroit Lions, he rushed the passer on 21% of his defensive snaps. Last season, he rushed on 32%, the most of his career.

When we looked into the role in which Danny Trevathan played it was worth highlighting he was blitzing 8% of the time, and his career-high never touched 10%. Roquan Smith blitzes even less, and that includes Vic Fangio.

A quick thought of Jones signing was that Trevathan was aging and that Jones could provide depth as a backup. However, unless they plan to blitz Trevathan more, which may be smart, it may be a different role that they are after.

Another article we recently wrote highlighted that Vic Fangio, Brandon Staley, and most likely Sean Desai are looking for edge rushers with versatility. Robert Quinn is a situational pass rusher because his inability to defend the run as well as being no threat to drop into coverage makes him easier to scheme around.

Jeremiah Attachou and Christian Jones may not flash on highlight plays like Quinn, but down in and down out they are more equipped to defend the run and drop into coverage.

Attachou was just in a Vic Fangio defense where he dropped into coverage 8% of the time, which would be a career-high for Robert Quinn.

However, the key is that Attachou defended the run 40% of the time he was on the field, and Jones was at 47% for his career, and 52% last season. Robert Quinn defended the run on 32% of his snaps last season.

For comparison, Khalil Mack played 381 run defense snaps, Robert Quinn played 191. The Bears will either need to give him a heavy dose of increased snaps against the run, or they have to find players who can bring value against the run on at least 190 snaps, if not more considering they will have to spell Mack on a few run defense snaps.

Attachou played 167 snaps against the run and Jones played 263 last season.
The reality is that Jones is not just a Trevathan backup, but not just a Quinn backup either. The Bears can use him in both areas knowing that he is strong against the run and as a blitzer, and knowing that he has lined up between the guards, but also outside of the tackles.

The Bears can use Jones, Trevathan, Smith, and Mack as their four “Linebackers”, and then convert to Quinn, Jones, Smith, and Mack if needed. On the cuff, Jones is not pegged in for “starter” snaps.

However, you could likely expect him on the field closer to the 45% he saw last season which is not something you would see from a typical backup linebacker.
I am doubtful they are going to have Jones learn 2 roles in this defense and be used at both OLB and MLB as this article is suggesting. When have we ever seen that? I don't think they know what they are talking about.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
From his scouting report:

Strength​

Jones has serious length and has terrific versatility as he can play defensive end and outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense and inside or outside linebacker in an odd front. Jones is good at getting penetration off of blitzes and is a solid tackler. He has huge arms and is very comfortable in coverage. He gets his arms around offensive players to take them down.

When Jones was at FSU, they used him on the edge on a regular basis.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
From his scouting report:

Strength​

Jones has serious length and has terrific versatility as he can play defensive end and outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense and inside or outside linebacker in an odd front. Jones is good at getting penetration off of blitzes and is a solid tackler. He has huge arms and is very comfortable in coverage. He gets his arms around offensive players to take them down.

When Jones was at FSU, they used him on the edge on a regular basis.
Thank you for a college scouting report of a player who is going into his 8th season in the NFL. A player who already has spent 4 seasons on the Bears.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am doubtful they are going to have Jones learn 2 roles in this defense and be used at both OLB and MLB as this article is suggesting. When have we ever seen that? I don't think they know what they are talking about.
He played both roles for the Lions. I don’t think it would be far fetched, or much of a learning curve tbh.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Jones is a solid depth signing. That's it. He should be able to provide some meaningful snaps to give a couple of starters a rest and likely will be expected to be a solid special teams contributor. You need guys that like to fill out a roster. Let's not try and make this be anything more than it really is.