CJ Stroud Considering Ohio State Return?

bullsrose

Liked Posts:
Dude has not declared yet almost a full 2 weeks after the college football championship and new NIL money could make it feasible for him to to return and try and win the National Championship

CJ going to college would raise the already high value of the #1 pick immensely! If this happens I think Houston could make the #2 available

Deadline to declare is Monday the 16th

Nelly

Liked Posts:
My initial thought was that it'd make it less valuable, but i don't know why. I suppose without him in the mix, we'd just need a couple teams to fall in love with Young and thus have to have the first pick huh?

bullsrose

Liked Posts:
with Stroud in the draft the texans could stick put and draft him at #2 and some support at #12. if he goes back to school they either draft Levis or trade up with us

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'd think his draft stock would be at an all time high with how well he played against Georgia.

Now the question becomes if the #1 pick would be more or less valuable. I'm guessing more, maybe?

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Would be better for him to go back to school. Another year of maturity and weight training.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
He really needs to get rid of the criticism that he chokes in big games. That knock is a pretty bad one.

If he can overcome it and win some big games and appear to be clutch, he may be in the conversation of being the top QB. Yes, the conversation.

Him not being in the draft would definitely boost our pick.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Trade with Houston for their first in 24, then pick Anderson at 2. Not a bad day 1

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
IDK what to think about Stroud staying. On one hand, I'm not sure what else he can do at the college level except personal things (beat Michigan, Heisman, national title). On the other hand, he's not a perfect prospect and could do some things better. But he's probably not going to be QB1 or even QB2 next year with potentially Caleb Williams and Drake Maye in the draft.

In theory, it could make the Bears #1 pick more valuable with fewer top options. But it could also work the opposite way, as Stroud has the potential to be a guy teams trade up to #1 for, especially if Young's measurables are worse than expected.

Even with NIL money, he won't get paid more than he would as a top 10 pick with signing bonus and all. Plus, it would potentially get him to the big money one year sooner. I hope he comes out for his sake, but again he gets to throw to a pair of 1st round WRs and a pair of top 10 WR recruits next year so maybe he can boost his stock or get some of that personal stuff accomplished.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

Talk radio (Detroit area) been discussing this angle with the stroud situation
4 Million is a lot of money. But he'd make more in the NFL in 2023. His floor is probably the Panthers pick at 9. The 9th pick last year, Charles Cross, got 4 years, 21.383Mil fully guaranteed. And with the signing bonus, he added over 13Mil to his bank account in 2022.

If he gets hurt or underperforms and even goes down in the middle of the first round, he's losing about 6Mil on a 4-year deal.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
while stroud possibly going back to school is big its also worth noting that other guys that many expected to declare havent such as WR's addison and johnson who are generally mocked in the top 20....

Bust

Liked Posts:
CJ Stroud has nothing to worry about, Ohio State will never win a national championship.

Rgrigutis

Liked Posts:
He really needs to get rid of the criticism that he chokes in big games. That knock is a pretty bad one.

If he can overcome it and win some big games and appear to be clutch, he may be in the conversation of being the top QB. Yes, the conversation.

Him not being in the draft would definitely boost our pick.
He needs to show the willingness to run when it’s there. Doesn’t have to be the second coming of fields but way to often he throws it away rather than leg it even if hes got an open field in front of him. Obviously a great passer with otherworldly accuracy. As a buckeye fan for 68 years i hope he stays in columbus. With young being the only other option, no disrespect to levis, it should really make the first pick a lot more valuable. Just my humble opinion

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
While I'm not some expert on NIL money, it does not make any sense to me. Even if NIL money can rival a 1st year rookie QB salary, that's delaying the big post rookie contract by a year and adding another year of injury risk that could ruin him from seeing that second contract.

Speed

Liked Posts:
Fields declared for the last day, so I think CJ will follow the same path. There's more for him to lose than gain by going back. It probably peeves him as a competitor, but nobody will hold it against him that they couldn't beat this iteration of Georgia.