Cleveland shopping Lindor

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Looks like Lindor is on the market. Can Cubs make a play here and then move Javy to 3B?

Castor76

Liked Posts:
If it helps the team to get better, I'm sure he'll be just fine with the idea.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yea, Javy would be thrilled to move off short hen he just won a GG

Gold Glove Awards

American League
SS: J.P. Crawford (Mariners)

National League
SS: Javier Báez (Cubs)

So it would be a downgrade at SS.

I still see trading Bryant and taking on Lindor is a 0 net gain. At that point just do nothing and sell at the deadline if the season justifies it. Or put a QO on Bryant and take the picks.

Lindor is the same thing. put a QO on him and he turns it down.

This IMO is a move to win 2021. I believe that is not the main goal of 2021. The main goal is creating a new winning window and that takes extending who wants to and trading the ones who do not want to extend. Then this year getting Marquez and Alzolay ready.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Gold Glove Awards

American League
SS: J.P. Crawford (Mariners)

National League
SS: Javier Báez (Cubs)

So it would be a downgrade at SS.

I still see trading Bryant and taking on Lindor is a 0 net gain. At that point just do nothing and sell at the deadline if the season justifies it. Or put a QO on Bryant and take the picks.

Lindor is the same thing. put a QO on him and he turns it down.

This IMO is a move to win 2021. I believe that is not the main goal of 2021. The main goal is creating a new winning window and that takes extending who wants to and trading the ones who do not want to extend. Then this year getting Marquez and Alzolay ready.

I wasn't imagining just having Lindor for 1 year. I was imagining the Cubs signing him long-term as well.

Also, Bryant isn't in the same category as Lindor. Bryant is a fucking bum.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I wasn't imagining just having Lindor for 1 year. I was imagining the Cubs signing him long-term as well.

Why can't it be both? Short of a miracle, Bryant is not re-signing early and is shipped out. Question is will it be this off season of before the deadline. The argument to trade him at the deadline is to see if he can build his value back up by then. I would argue the risk is too great. What if he's hurt or just doesn't do well? Right now you still have the air of potential with him plus the idea that another manager or coach could fix whatever ails him. Would the Cubs get less for him if they traded now versus at the break and he's having a good year? Yes, but you have to hope he's having that good year.

Presume they make the trade and then go for Lindor and get him. Possibly a 3 team trade even with the Cubs sending a piece or three along with the Bryant return to Cleveland. The Cubs then can try to extend Lindor or trade him at the deadline. If he's traded, Javy spends not even one season away from SS. IF he re-signs, then you have a potential first 4 of Lindor, Happ, Rizzo, Baez. Not the scariest line up in baseball, but not too bad either.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Asking price is too high.

The Mets could go after Indians shortstop Francisco Lindor in a trade during the offseason, but the return might prove prohibitive for New York. As David Lennon of Newsday tweets, the Indians could ask for an Andres GimenezJeff McNeil tandem in trade talks. That would be a lot for the Mets, who saw Gimenez perform well as a rookie in 2020 and who have gotten tremendous production from the versatile McNeil dating back to his 2018 debut. McNeil has batted an outstanding .319/.383/.501 in 1,024 major league plate appearances, so it seems highly unlikely the Mets will part with him and Gimenez for one year of control over Lindor.

We are talking Happ and Nico here.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Why can't it be both? Short of a miracle, Bryant is not re-signing early and is shipped out. Question is will it be this off season of before the deadline. The argument to trade him at the deadline is to see if he can build his value back up by then. I would argue the risk is too great. What if he's hurt or just doesn't do well? Right now you still have the air of potential with him plus the idea that another manager or coach could fix whatever ails him. Would the Cubs get less for him if they traded now versus at the break and he's having a good year? Yes, but you have to hope he's having that good year.

Presume they make the trade and then go for Lindor and get him. Possibly a 3 team trade even with the Cubs sending a piece or three along with the Bryant return to Cleveland. The Cubs then can try to extend Lindor or trade him at the deadline. If he's traded, Javy spends not even one season away from SS. IF he re-signs, then you have a potential first 4 of Lindor, Happ, Rizzo, Baez. Not the scariest line up in baseball, but not too bad either.

I think that we have to be real here.

Cle asking price on Lindor would be high. If they want ready it would be Nico and Happ. If it was talent Davis and Howard.

All I have to say is F-that. They are buying a year not a term deal. That is stupid talk. And extending is bull shit. That is not what they are buying. They are buying a year of control and that is it.

Now on value? Is he worth 2 top 100 quality talents proven or not? Term yes. Rental no.

It is simple as that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Again my opinion:

Baez won a GG.
Nico was part of the convo at 2B.

Bryant is under control as is Baez. They find a partner for either that works for refilling depth current and furture fine. If it is shedding a problem for another problem it is dumb.

We have been a bit spoiled IMO with stability sense 2015. What needs to happen is creating stability. Not continuing instability.

That is the simple truth. They have Bote. Trading Bryant is fine. But if both are going to walk and they have some buyers then do it. Put Nico and Bote on the R side and sign a 2B. There are a few on the market so this is not a major issue. If there is nothing worth dealing for then arb/QO and move on. This happens all of the time.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Again my opinion:

Baez won a GG.
Nico was part of the convo at 2B.

Bryant is under control as is Baez. They find a partner for either that works for refilling depth current and furture fine. If it is shedding a problem for another problem it is dumb.

We have been a bit spoiled IMO with stability sense 2015. What needs to happen is creating stability. Not continuing instability.

That is the simple truth. They have Bote. Trading Bryant is fine. But if both are going to walk and they have some buyers then do it. Put Nico and Bote on the R side and sign a 2B. There are a few on the market so this is not a major issue. If there is nothing worth dealing for then arb/QO and move on. This happens all of the time.

Bote is a fucking bum.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Asking price is too high.

The Mets could go after Indians shortstop Francisco Lindor in a trade during the offseason, but the return might prove prohibitive for New York. As David Lennon of Newsday tweets, the Indians could ask for an Andres GimenezJeff McNeil tandem in trade talks. That would be a lot for the Mets, who saw Gimenez perform well as a rookie in 2020 and who have gotten tremendous production from the versatile McNeil dating back to his 2018 debut. McNeil has batted an outstanding .319/.383/.501 in 1,024 major league plate appearances, so it seems highly unlikely the Mets will part with him and Gimenez for one year of control over Lindor.

We are talking Happ and Nico here.
Lol happ and nico isn't equivalent to that from the Mets. I'd give up happ and Nico in a heartbeat for lindor and im sure the front office would too

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol happ and nico isn't equivalent to that from the Mets. I'd give up happ and Nico in a heartbeat for lindor and im sure the front office would too
Probably not, they are cost controlled.. Lindor becomes. FA after the year and the Cubs arent looking to add any payroll.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Probably not, they are cost controlled.. Lindor becomes. FA after the year and the Cubs arent looking to add any payroll.

Pretty much. Happ figured it out this year and led in fWAR all season for the Cubs. Nico put up GG quality D and has a solid approach at the plate. Those 2 are answers not problems.

I just see it with Howard upwelling and Baez winning a GG at SS this Lindor talk makes no sense at all. They do need to add contact but that can come internal. Nico is a contact hitter and this will be a test for him. Max Schrock was picked up as a counter part and this could end up as a nice transition there.

I feel that they just need to get what they have hitting. If they need to trade out Schwarber would be a prime target to push out and back fill with a contact bat.

/ guy that I would concider would be Jurickson Profar. He can play LF and 3B and SS and 2B. To me this would be a solid investment. .278/.343/.428 last year in SD. He would be the starting LF and can move around where needed.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Bote is a fucking bum.

yet, he led the 2020 cubs in RBI’s. He at least understands situational hitting, unlike the majority of cubs hitters

Castor76

Liked Posts:
yet, he led the 2020 cubs in RBI’s. He at least understands situational hitting, unlike the majority of cubs hitters
Bote was all or nothing last season. If there was no one one, he did nothing. If he had runners on, he was great. It's almost like he would have been a great #2 or #5 hitter so long as he had people getting on in front of him.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Bote was all or nothing last season. If there was no one one, he did nothing. If he had runners on, he was great. It's almost like he would have been a great #2 or #5 hitter so long as he had people getting on in front of him.

agreed. That’s exactly what I’m saying. Dude barely hit over .200 but led the team in RBI’s. When it mattered most, he came through. I can live with having a guy like that play most days and hit 7th in the lineup

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Bote has been league avg as a hitter.

2020 he had a .228 BABIP. He had a .314 and a .333 the previous 2 years. His walk rate hovers 9-12%, SO rate 27%. He is a back up quality player. Let's don't candy coat this. But if they are in a transition year he is good enough.