Cody Whitehair

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
12 mil cap hit this year. Goes up to 13 and 14 the next two years. 4th highest cap hit on the team.

If you cut him as a post June 1 designation you can save 8 mil on the cap.

Is he worth the money? Or a potential cut candidate?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Could see them cutting him if they get some upper tier IOL in free agency and the draft, but with Daniels an FA and Mustipher needing to be replaced, no way thy can do that before Summer.

So I'd expect him here for 2022 and to be replaced next offseason.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's going to be interesting to see what Poles does here on the OL. Whitehair got paid big money and he's average. Daniels needs to be re-signed, but is like slightly above average. He's also young with more potential. So, does Poles double down on two average Guards, cut Whitehair and keep youth or let the youth walk?

I'm not an expert on OL play, but do these guys fit the blocking scheme they want to run?

freddylamar

Liked Posts:
After watching all these guys allow Fields to take cheap shot after cheap shot last year and do absolutely nothing I would be fine letting them all walk minus our two young tackles. I want my lineman to protect my quarterback one hundred percent of the time once he steps on the field. I’ll take a 15 yard penalty from a linemen that gets in the opponents faces and let’s them know that of you touch QB1 you should expect an ass whipping. Only lineman we have currently with that mentality is Jenkins. Get me some more head cases on the line to put fear in the defense. I know that is easier said than done but I can’t watch another year of our QB getting killed and the lineman just watching.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
right now the bears need a LT, C and RG. you've got daniels who is right around average whos supposedly looking for ~10 mill a season. Whitehair is already overpaid at LG and limited cap space. Post June cut wont help the bears in free agency...Guards are supposedly easier to find in the late rounds of the draft which could be why there are whispers about whitehair moving back to center.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
At this point, do the Bears even have a starting 5 along the OL? Talking about cutting someone when you can't field a starting group seems like you are moving a bit too fast.

mecha

Liked Posts:
At this point, do the Bears even have a starting 5 along the OL? Talking about cutting someone when you can't field a starting group seems like you are moving a bit too fast.
I don't even know who's who, they've been playing musical chairs with the line for years trying to find the right combination. which with Nagy's people, they would find it, and then blow it up again for added measure. it was like they wanted to advertise their incompetence often.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Cut Whitehair, re-sign Daniels, draft a guard/center in round 2 as a day 1 starter, fill the other spot in FA, Borom LT and Jenkins RT. Probably the best you can hope for. It will take a couple years to build up the OL.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Jenkins-Whitehair-Mustipher-Bars-Borom. So yes, but it's bad.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I think what will happen is Whitehair stays, Daniels goes, and the Bears sign a better veteran to replace him.

Also, I think Poles will build out from the lines, both offensive and defensive, with his first two picks.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Jenkins-Whitehair-Allen (from LAR)-Lucas Patrick (from GB)-Borom

Julien Davenport (from IND)-Bars-Mustipher-5th round IOL.

Something like that. They can't pin too much on the draft, otherwise they risk having huge holes. They will have to sign two starting level OL in free agency and then hopefully add to that in the draft.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I always look at dead cap. 12m this season and 8m the next, I think he is on the team for 2 more years and he gets cut for 2024 with only a 4m dead cap hit.

Decent player and what you save from cutting him won't get you a replacement at that cost.