Cody Whitehair

Luke

Liked Posts:
Jenkins-Whitehair-Mustipher-Bars-Borom. So yes, but it's bad.

FWIW, neither Kreutz nor Thayer thinks Jenkins is a LT and I would think Poles doesn't either.
In a perfect world, Poles finds a solid starting LT in FA and moves Jenkins to RT and slides Borom
over to RG.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
FWIW, neither Kreutz nor Thayer thinks Jenkins is a LT and I would think Poles doesn't either.
In a perfect world, Poles finds a solid starting LT in FA and moves Jenkins to RT and slides Borom
over to RG.
I could see that, but why would Borom just slide to G? To me he never looked like a G.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
That was Olin's suggestion. if you prefer Thayers take, he thinks Borom could be a LT.
What counts is Poles take.
From what little we have seen of both Jenkins and Borom, I would agree with Thayer.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jenkins-Whitehair-Allen (from LAR)-Lucas Patrick (from GB)-Borom

Julien Davenport (from IND)-Bars-Mustipher-5th round IOL.

Something like that. They can't pin too much on the draft, otherwise they risk having huge holes. They will have to sign two starting level OL in free agency and then hopefully add to that in the draft.
That'd work. Option 1.. no Mustipher.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The only reason to cut him is if you are going to burn it all down and trade Mack, Quinn, etc. Otherwise you already need to 2 starting OL at a minimum and possibly 3 depending on how they feel about Borom so no point creating another need on the OL.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
over to RG.

LT are hella expensive in FA. You are probably better off trying to see what Jenkins or Borom can do there at least until 2023.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
That'd work. Option 1.. no Mustipher.
As bad as he was this year you're probably not getting a better backup C for league minimum salary. He will be the last OL on the bench most likely.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
As bad as he was this year you're probably not getting a better backup C for league minimum salary. He will be the last OL on the bench most likely.
I completely misread that, thought those were two starting OL options.

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
I think Whitehair stays another year, but maybe they could use his late cut to get the draft class signed?

My dumbass plan:

1. Sign Armstead and you’ve solved LT.
2. Draft a dude like Kinnard or Volson who could play guard or RT, let them compete with Jenkins and Borom for those positions.
3. Keep Mustipher but draft a C/G capable guy like Brock Hoffman to take over in ‘23.
4. Whitehair stays, Daniels goes.

LT - Armstead
LG - Kinnard/Volson/other rookie
C - Mustipher
RG - Whitehair
RT - Jenkins

Borom and Bars look like solid backups to me.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
At this point, do the Bears even have a starting 5 along the OL? Talking about cutting someone when you can't field a starting group seems like you are moving a bit too fast.
Does it matter? New GM’s usually blow things up. I would not be surprised at all if there’s 3 or 4 new starters on the Oline.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think Whitehair stays another year, but maybe they could use his late cut to get the draft class signed?

My dumbass plan:

1. Sign Armstead and you’ve solved LT.
2. Draft a dude like Kinnard or Volson who could play guard or RT, let them compete with Jenkins and Borom for those positions.
3. Keep Mustipher but draft a C/G capable guy like Brock Hoffman to take over in ‘23.
4. Whitehair stays, Daniels goes.

LT - Armstead
LG - Kinnard/Volson/other rookie
C - Mustipher
RG - Whitehair
RT - Jenkins

Borom and Bars look like solid backups to me.
Would be nice but you're basically using so much capital on OL in this plan they will be shit most everywhere else.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That was Olin's suggestion. if you prefer Thayers take, he thinks Borom could be a LT.
What counts is Poles take.
That’s why this is so fun. None of us know what Poles thinks of these guys…. But I think we all expect/hope he nukes it from orbit.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The only reason to cut him is if you are going to burn it all down and trade Mack, Quinn, etc. Otherwise you already need to 2 starting OL at a minimum and possibly 3 depending on how they feel about Borom so no point creating another need on the OL.
Well the reason to cut him is he makes a shit ton of money and to my untrained I they could get similar or better performance for cheaper. He’s on the books for some serious cheddar these next three years. If they keep him it better be cause they think they can get more out of him.

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
Would be nice but you're basically using so much capital on OL in this plan they will be shit most everywhere else.
We need to draft two OL, I don’t see anyway around that.

The Armstead signing would be rich (maybe 23 mil?), but once Whitehair is gone the rest of the OL contracts would be very affordable through the end of Armstead’s deal.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well the reason to cut him is he makes a shit ton of money and to my untrained I they could get similar or better performance for cheaper. He’s on the books for some serious cheddar these next three years. If they keep him it better be cause they think they can get more out of him.

But it isn't cheaper really. If you cut a guy who has 12.3 in dead cap and then sign a guy for 7m a year then you have spent 19.3m at the position. Or if you want to make it a June 1st cut then you spent 11.2m (4.2 cap hit + 7) the first year and 15m the 2nd year. Can't just ignore the fact that there is dead cap you will carry.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I’m trying to understand how pace was negotiating these contracts

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We need to draft two OL, I don’t see anyway around that.

The Armstead signing would be rich (maybe 23 mil?), but once Whitehair is gone the rest of the OL contracts would be very affordable through the end of Armstead’s deal.

You really can't give Armstead 23m when we only have 28m in cap and would still need to sign like 15-20 players. Unless you getting read of Goldman and Quinn.