Cody Whitehair

dennehy

Liked Posts:
We need to draft two OL, I don’t see anyway around that.

The Armstead signing would be rich (maybe 23 mil?), but once Whitehair is gone the rest of the OL contracts would be very affordable through the end of Armstead’s deal.
There is one safety, two WRs (one who has about three career receptions), one serviceable ILB, and probably one maybe two starting level CBs, plus no 3T on the roster. The Bears have a $30mil in cap space. and 2 picks in first 145.

They'd barely be able to field a team next year spending $20mil on one player.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I always look at dead cap. 12m this season and 8m the next, I think he is on the team for 2 more years and he gets cut for 2024 with only a 4m dead cap hit.

Decent player and what you save from cutting him won't get you a replacement at that cost.
I tend to agree. It would be nice if all of Pace's bad contracts would melt away but at this point there is more value in hanging onto some of those players (or trading them for late round picks) than there is in cutting them.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
FWIW, neither Kreutz nor Thayer thinks Jenkins is a LT and I would think Poles doesn't either.
In a perfect world, Poles finds a solid starting LT in FA and moves Jenkins to RT and slides Borom
over to RG.
This makes sense if they can find a LT in FA's group, not sure you can in the draft with where we draft. If they did in the draft 3 basically rookies starting is not a good thing, no easy answer for sure.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
12 mil cap hit this year. Goes up to 13 and 14 the next two years. 4th highest cap hit on the team.

If you cut him as a post June 1 designation you can save 8 mil on the cap.

Is he worth the money? Or a potential cut candidate?
cut his ass he sucks

msadows

Liked Posts:
12 mil cap hit this year. Goes up to 13 and 14 the next two years. 4th highest cap hit on the team.

I cut him.

Use that money to sign Daniels on a backloaded deal

msadows

Liked Posts:
There is one safety, two WRs (one who has about three career receptions), one serviceable ILB, and probably one maybe two starting level CBs, plus no 3T on the roster. The Bears have a $30mil in cap space. and 2 picks in first 145.

They'd barely be able to field a team next year spending $20mil on one player.

You say 30m in cap I say 60m in cap.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Realistically, every nfl team is in cap hell.

People love to mention the bears have no cap space, but fail to mention that 2/3 of the NFL are in a worse scenario.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Oh, ok, I feel better about it, then

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
if you think being sarcastic about the bears' shitty cap situation and limited picks in April is being mean,I suggest you report said meanness to Mighty Joe Hall Monitor

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Teach him to fucking long snap and put him back at C.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't expect the Bears to make bigger holes on their team. I'd expect the Bears to go cheap in FA and get players that fit their scheme and see what the new coaching staff can do with current oline after getting a new center.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
At this point, do the Bears even have a starting 5 along the OL? Talking about cutting someone when you can't field a starting group seems like you are moving a bit too fast.
Agree, last year we (at least I was) complaining that they may have jumped the gun on cutting Leno, even though it made sense at the time he was cut....

Whitehair may indeed be a cap casualty, but replacing him with who? It is not like we have a young guard just waiting to get that start....

I think it will be an "either or" situation between Daniels and Whitehair, unless they can land Daniels for less than $10M per year.....

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
You really can't give Armstead 23m when we only have 28m in cap and would still need to sign like 15-20 players. Unless you getting rid of Goldman and Quinn.
The ‘23 cap situation is pretty good so I imagine they could structure an Armstead deal so that the ‘22 cap hit sits in the mid teens.

Combine that with cutting Cohen and Trevathan in June and you get roughly another 7 million to play with.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

Let's say that we trade them to a guard-hungry team like the Jets. What is the cap hit vs. savings?

I'm not a cap guy. My reading of over the cap is that we end up off-loading his 8 million base salary and eat the 4 million in dead money that is the 12 million dead hit. So, if we trade him, we get 8 million plus vs losing 4 to the black hole. Am I correct?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Let's say that we trade them to a guard-hungry team like the Jets. What is the cap hit vs. savings?

I'm not a cap guy. My reading of over the cap is that we end up off-loading his 8 million base salary and eat the 4 million in dead money that is the 12 million dead hit. So, if we trade him, we get 8 million plus vs losing 4 to the black hole. Am I correct?
@remydat is way better than I am at this stuff.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Realistically, every nfl team is in cap hell.

People love to mention the bears have no cap space, but fail to mention that 2/3 of the NFL are in a worse scenario.

Not really. Some teams with less cap have more players signed. Some have less holes and some have more blue chippers. The Bears have 28 million but only about 30 guys signed that were not practice squad players last year. They also don't have as many blue chippers as you would like.

Take a team like the Niners. They are in much better position even if they have less cap because their roster is pretty much set. They don't need to really go out looking for blue chippers. All they need to do is get rid of JG which turns them cap positive and then look for some mid-tier free agents to put around the studs they have on offense and defense.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Am I correct?

Yes.

The team taking on the traded player is only on hook for the base salary, the Bears would still have to pay signing bonuses and other stuff...although maybe not all at once, depending on said contract.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The ‘23 cap situation is pretty good so I imagine they could structure an Armstead deal so that the ‘22 cap hit sits in the mid teens.

Combine that with cutting Cohen and Trevathan in June and you get roughly another 7 million to play with.

Sure that is possible but if he is at 23m a year and you say his 22 cap hit is only say 15m then you will have to eat something like 25-27m a year at some point. That becomes a problem if he doesn't remain an elite player. Keep in mind he will be 31 this year and probably looking for a 4 year deal so that is a lot to be paying a guy that old. Would be more comfortable if he were in his 20s looking for 23m a year. Here is how a 4 year 92m contract with 20m SB and 30m in other guarantees would look if you wanted a 15m cap hit.

Year 1 - 10m guaranteed base salary & 5m SB for 15m cap hit.
Year 2 - 20m guaranteed base salary & 5m SB for 25m cap hit.
Year 3- 20m base salary & 5m SB for 25m cap hit
Year 4 - 22m base salary & 5m SB for 25m cap hit

Now of course I would expect roster bonuses and other shit but just wanted to show a simple contract that averages out to 23m a year with a 15m first year cap hit.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

@remydat is way better than I am at this stuff.

No his 12.3 million cap hit is all SB. So if you trade him you still incur the 12.3m cap hit. You would have to wait until June 1 to trade him and then only this years SB of 4.2m would count against the cap with the other 8.1 in SB hitting 2023.

However, pulling off a trade post June 1 is hard because teams would have gone thru FA and thedraft so you would be hoping a team hasn't addressed their OL needs thru those avenues already. Unlike with cuts, you can't designate someone as a post June 1 trade.

Last edited: