Colin Cowherd said trade Roquan and get back to the future

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I'm not to worried about his shape. He starts every season with an extra 10-15 pounds or so to help maintain it during the season. I'm more concerned about game shape and his body not used to getting knocked around.
You might not be worried, but Flus has made it a huge emphasis for this whole offseason and camp. It would set a really bad precedent to play an out of shape Roquan when he’s preached everyone must show up to camp in the best shape of their lives from the start…

Smith has been there for the meetings and standing on the sidelines…but has he been working out hard too? We haven’t heard anything about that…

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
As much as I enjoy listening to Cowherd, I think he and the overall media are overly pessimistic on the Bears this upcoming season. Many are projecting the Bears to have the 1st overall pick.

But many are missing the doable schedule. The nice additions of Brisker, Gordon, Braxton Jones, etc. We have some nice budding guys in Mooney and Kmet. Some decent defensive pieces.

All that to say, the media thinks we are a dumpster fire and are so far away from being competitive that we need to get rid of our best player. I'd argue not so fast. We have plenty of cap space moving forward. I like our GMs scouting abilities. Getting rid of Roquan isn't making this team any better. We will only attempt to replace him. We should be looking to give him a nice counterpart, not replace him.

There are no receivers available whether we keep Roquan or get rid of him. It's not changing anything.

The schedule is favorable, but this team is so void of talent and this organization just tends to do Bears things. On the other hand, there are other franchises that are equally bad or just forever cursed where I find it hard to believe the Bears will have the 1st overall pick. That would be great, but not happening.

I just don't think that hanging onto LB talent like Roquan Smith makes a big difference now or in the future. I would rather save the money and hope that the Bears get a miracle and identify some talent at key positions that will be worth hanging onto in the near future.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
If JF seems like the guy we all want him to be there is nothing I'd love more than for the offense to get another first round pick.

We won zero games with Mack and haven't won shit in 37 years. I don't care if Roquan is topl five. Peace the F out.

I agree.

Smith is talented, but I don't think his presence or lack thereof makes a huge difference for the future of this team. I would love to get Fields' old buddy Njigba from Ohio St. If this organization is sold on Fields, then we have to start helping him and become a 21st century offense that compete with the big boys of the NFL.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You might not be worried, but Flus has made it a huge emphasis for this whole offseason and camp. It would set a really bad precedent to play an out of shape Roquan when he’s preached everyone must show up to camp in the best shape of their lives from the start…

Smith has been there for the meetings and standing on the sidelines…but has he been working out hard too? We haven’t heard anything about that…
Jesus dude. Don't read in. Carrying extra weight is not the same as out of shape. He starts every year this way yet every preseason we hear about how he's 'fat'. I don't know how much cardio he's doing but simply pointing out that the assumption that he's 'out of shape' may be premature. He's a smaller LB trying to keep his mass up through the season. Hasn't slowed him down so far.

Last edited:

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Nailed it. Wow

So true!!!!!!!!!!

It's an offensive league. The previous regime went all in on Fields. It's time to start helping him out with weapons and protection, no LB help.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
What he said sounds good on paper... Would you rather have an $18 mil a year LB or an $18 mil a year WR? It would be far more beneficial for that WR.

Now, where are you finding that WR? That's the issue. They are not out there standing around looking for work. Nor next years F/A class though there are possibilities.

If the Bears are in rebuild mode, go draft pick shopping and play the long game. But that isn't Cowherds point. He wants to benefit the young QB NOW...

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
What he said sounds good on paper... Would you rather have an $18 mil a year LB or an $18 mil a year WR? It would be far more beneficial for that WR.

Now, where are you finding that WR? That's the issue. They are not out there standing around looking for work. Nor next years F/A class though there are possibilities.

If the Bears are in rebuild mode, go draft pick shopping and play the long game. But that isn't Cowherds point. He wants to benefit the young QB NOW...

I don't believe he said anything about NOW. His whole point was the future and long game. You can interpret that anyway you want, but he never said you have to sign any specific person or position today. He just said he wouldn't sign Smith and tie up that money when the franchise has gone all in on Fields.

I just hope and pray that once Arlington Heights is done and open, the McCaskeys sells the team to somebody willing to take the franchise into the 21st century. That's probably the only chance we have at becoming a viable franchise.

Reactions: Myk

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Jesus dude. Don't read in. Carrying extra weight is not the same as out of shape. He starts every year this way yet every preseason we hear about how he's 'fat'. I don't know how much cardio he's doing but simply pointing out that the assumption that he's 'out of shape' may be premature. He's a smaller LB trying to keep his mass up through the season. Hasn't slowed him down so far.

I don’t care what he looks like. That’s not the issue. The issue is, is he in Eberflus shape? At this point, if we keep him on the roster, he might not be playing until several weeks into the season. Cant see Flus being a hypocrite and giving him a free pass when all the others had to work for it

Why are you being such a reactionary poster lately? Calm down…lol

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The guy can play or not. His choice. Unless there is someone willing to give a 1st (or other great offer/player) then let him sit out, fine the shirt out of him, and tag him or release him next year. If he plays great if he doesn’t it isn’t like the Bears are one player away. I think the Bears need to sign their draft choices that have played well but they may have to let him go. RS is great but he isn’t all time LB money, either.

It is a bad situation and I hope someone gets in Smith’s ear and gets him to agree to a very good, long term contract. I don’t want to see him sit out until the last minute and get hurt early because he wasn’t prepared. No one wins there.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don’t care what he looks like. That’s not the issue. The issue is, is he in Eberflus shape? At this point, if we keep him on the roster, he might not be playing until several weeks into the season. Cant see Flus being a hypocrite and giving him a free pass when all the others had to work for it

Why are you being such a reactionary poster lately? Calm down…lol
He plays within 10 days (or sooner) of his 1st practice. So your response is about some imagined 'Eberflus shape' plus an accusation of emo posting when I give an example of the very point I was making, that you chose to completely ignore. Got it.:rolleyes:

The only reason you don't get more posts like mine is because others just don't bother anymore.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
that Mack trade makes my dick hurt in retrospect.

Eh, the Mack trade was the right move at the time. We had a QB on a rookie contract and were seemingly one piece away. I know it didn't work out, but I'd make that same move today, all things being equal.

Bergz22

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm in a union. We sign a contract with our employer for three years and it's done. That's our pay and benefits. We can't just decide in the middle of our contract that we don't like it. Get out and play you bitch.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
He plays within 10 days (or sooner) of his 1st practice. So your response is about some imagined 'Eberflus shape' plus an accusation of emo posting when I give an example of the very point I was making, that you chose to completely ignore. Got it.:rolleyes:

The only reason you don't get more posts like mine is because others just don't bother anymore.
There’s no imagining about it. Flus told EVERYONE to show up to camp in the best shape of their lives. Not to be in the same shape you’ve always been.

You’re getting about as pathetic as windy did before he left. And you were a one of the better posters. Still are, when you aren’t “emo”, as you put it…

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Eh, the Mack trade was the right move at the time. We had a QB on a rookie contract and were seemingly one piece away. I know it didn't work out, but I'd make that same move today, all things being equal.

Oh, the trade FOR him? No that was absolutely the wrong time and questionable about being the wrong move at any time. But the year after you get your 2nd pick QB and just spent the 8th on defense you do not give away the rest of your QB contract's 1st round picks for another defender.
If Trubisky was good that assured he was bad, if he was bad that assured he would be worse.
Somewhere in that time was also when we lost Long to "retirement" so he could go to KC making it even worse for QB protection. Not that a G was the protection we need, we need good OTs.

The one piece away was not another defender who the refs are going allow to be held constantly. People need to face the fact that the NFL does not respect the defensive game anymore. They don't want 3-0 games or 10-0 games where your only TD was a kick return.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There’s no imagining about it. Flus told EVERYONE to show up to camp in the best shape of their lives. Not to be in the same shape you’ve always been.

You’re getting about as pathetic as windy did before he left. And you were a one of the better posters. Still are, when you aren’t “emo”, as you put it…
LOL. You sound butt hurt. Why did you start with the emo crap. Trust me, that won't go well for you. Keep conflating weight with being in conditioned. Are you saying that he's not working out?

Nobody is worried about one of the most mobile LB's mobility.
His fat self was at OTAs. “He’s a worker,” Eberflus said of Smith. “He wants to know the defense. He’s a leader. He’s vocal. And he loves to play. You can see that on tape. So yeah, he’s been great.”

Find me one Flus comment that mentions Roquan to back up your made up supposition.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
LOL. You sound butt hurt. Why did you start with the emo crap. Trust me, that won't go well for you. Keep conflating weight with being in conditioned. Are you saying that he's not working out?

Nobody is worried about one of the most mobile LB's mobility.
His fat self was at OTAs. “He’s a worker,” Eberflus said of Smith. “He wants to know the defense. He’s a leader. He’s vocal. And he loves to play. You can see that on tape. So yeah, he’s been great.”

Find me one Flus comment that mentions Roquan to back up your made up supposition.
You completely miss the point. And this is an internet message board. I couldn’t care less about what happens here, so no. You were the one bringing the attitude for some reason.

It was a foment directed to THE ENTIRE TEAM by Flus. That includes Roquan. As for his other comments on Roquan: 1, it doesn’t change the truth of the comment I posted, and 2, what would it benefit him to say anything bad about a specific player in the middle of a contract negotiation? The Bears have been nothing but complimentary to Roquan, even after he pulled his media stunt.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You completely miss the point. And this is an internet message board. I couldn’t care less about what happens here, so no. You were the one bringing the attitude for some reason.

It was a foment directed to THE ENTIRE TEAM by Flus. That includes Roquan. As for his other comments on Roquan: 1, it doesn’t change the truth of the comment I posted, and 2, what would it benefit him to say anything bad about a specific player in the middle of a contract negotiation? The Bears have been nothing but complimentary to Roquan, even after he pulled his media stunt.
If you think, "Jesus dude, Don't read in." is worthy of a call out, you care way too much.