Colin Cowherd said trade Roquan and get back to the future

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't believe he said anything about NOW. His whole point was the future and long game. You can interpret that anyway you want, but he never said you have to sign any specific person or position today. He just said he wouldn't sign Smith and tie up that money when the franchise has gone all in on Fields.

I just hope and pray that once Arlington Heights is done and open, the McCaskeys sells the team to somebody willing to take the franchise into the 21st century. That's probably the only chance we have at becoming a viable franchise.
Colin implied the window of opportunity for making sure the Bears young qb turns into a great qb is short.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Colin implied the window of opportunity for making sure the Bears young qb into a great qb is short.

It is. Do you want another contract to wait and see?
This is his 2nd year, he has 4, maybe 5.
OL is going to take most of their 1st year to see if they're good. A WR isn't going to be good until their 2nd year. Drafting next year puts us to Fields' 4th year.
And none of that includes causing him to not trust his OL or WRs by giving him crap for his first 2 years if we're lucky.

Taking our time isn't building an offense for Fields, it's building for the next QB.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
It would all depend on what we get. Seattle will be bad to mediocre this year so a first or second imo would be great in return
Trade his ass to SEA for a 1st and that's an absolute steal (they're probably picking top 10). I love Roquan Smith and love watching him play. I want him to stay but it is what it is.

brundleflyguy

Liked Posts:
It is. Do you want another contract to wait and see?
This is his 2nd year, he has 4, maybe 5.
OL is going to take most of their 1st year to see if they're good. A WR isn't going to be good until their 2nd year. Drafting next year puts us to Fields' 4th year.
And none of that includes causing him to not trust his OL or WRs by giving him crap for his first 2 years if we're lucky.

Taking our time isn't building an offense for Fields, it's building for the next QB.
This is the whole problem with the last draft.
Round 2: CB
Round 2: Safety
Round 3: WR
Round 5: OT
Round 5: LB
Round 6: OT
Round 6: RB
Round 6: C
Round 7: G
Round 7: Safety
Round 7: Punter

Yes, they didn't have a first or fourth round pick, but realistically, rounds six and seven are just a wing and a prayer picks.

So in the first five rounds (and I'm being generous with the 5th round being even remotely successful) we have three defensive and two defensive picks. The first two picks were defense. Sure, they might be amazing players, but if the current regime wants to find out what Fields can do, they can't afford to do anything but pick offensive players who can help him (hopefully this year, but at least next year). Sure, Pace screwed them, but they knew this coming in.

I'd argue they can trade every possible defensive player right now for offensive players because it will allow them properly evaluate Fields, and if he's not the guy, evaluate the next QB.

So Roquan is a no brainer. Doesn't want to play unless he's the highest paid LB? Move on. He's crazy, and the Bears can't afford his greed and insanity.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Sure,..Trade your best player, who's all of 25 years old, just entering his prime. Who needs guys like that to build around?

That's the message you want to send.
And what is Smith's message to the team?

I'm under contract but I'm a selfish asshole who wants more money so pay me or I'm not playing?

Is that the message you want to support as a GM?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
This is the whole problem with the last draft.
Round 2: CB
Round 2: Safety
Round 3: WR
Round 5: OT
Round 5: LB
Round 6: OT
Round 6: RB
Round 6: C
Round 7: G
Round 7: Safety
Round 7: Punter

Yes, they didn't have a first or fourth round pick, but realistically, rounds six and seven are just a wing and a prayer picks.

So in the first five rounds (and I'm being generous with the 5th round being even remotely successful) we have three defensive and two defensive picks. The first two picks were defense. Sure, they might be amazing players, but if the current regime wants to find out what Fields can do, they can't afford to do anything but pick offensive players who can help him (hopefully this year, but at least next year). Sure, Pace screwed them, but they knew this coming in.

I'd argue they can trade every possible defensive player right now for offensive players because it will allow them properly evaluate Fields, and if he's not the guy, evaluate the next QB.

So Roquan is a no brainer. Doesn't want to play unless he's the highest paid LB? Move on. He's crazy, and the Bears can't afford his greed and insanity.

Exactly. Not to mention the 3rd round WR was projected to be a 5th round. Don't know until they play but odds are this year's "focus on offense" was not worth much. Maybe Poles is an offensive drafting god. But odds are this is the same old shit from the Bears, all the talent on defense, low round crap on offense being sold to fans as great.

My big hope for this draft is that we got some ball hawks in the 2nd but I wouldn't doubt if the NFL rules flag them for getting close to intercepting anything.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:

I'm under contract but I'm a selfish asshole who wants more money so pay me or I'm not playing?

I don't blame him one bit.

His rookie contract ends after this season, and he is clearly the best the Bears have. The time to get him extended is now.

Players, both in the Bears locker room and around the league are watching, and taking note of how the Bears treat their best player. This will have repercussions.

This one was a no-brainer, and Chicago managed to screw it up anyway. You know what the clincher is? Colin Cowherd, who has a profound knack for being wrong about everything all the time.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Sure,..Trade your best player, who's all of 25 years old, just entering his prime. Who needs guys like that to build around?

That's the message you want to send.

Idiot.

It sends a message that we are all in on our supposed franchise qb and will do anything to help him succeed in an offensive league. Not spend money on a non vital position.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
D keeps you in a game/wins a game. QB1 isn't ready to carry the team yet.

• Haha
Reactions: Myk

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
I don't blame him one bit.

His rookie contract ends after this season, and he is clearly the best the Bears have. The time to get him extended is now.

Players, both in the Bears locker room and around the league are watching, and taking note of how the Bears treat their best player. This will have repercussions.

This one was a no-brainer, and Chicago managed to screw it up anyway. You know what the clincher is? Colin Cowherd, who has a profound knack for being wrong about everything all the time.

That's not true. I'm not sure of the source or where I heard it, but an NFL insider said people around the league watching isn't true. When players and coaches come to the time to negotiate for themselves, they only care about their situation. Not what happened to Roquan Smith in 2022. Every negotiation and situation is different. They will only care about how Poles/the Bears treat them at that time.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

That's why the Bears who only focus on defense have so many SB wins the last 36 years and other defensive teams who also bother getting QBs, WRs, OL, etc actually have SB wins.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
That's not true. I'm not sure of the source or where I heard it, but an NFL insider said people around the league watching isn't true. When players and coaches come to the time to negotiate for themselves, they only care about their situation. Not what happened to Roquan Smith in 2022. Every negotiation and situation is different. They will only care about how Poles/the Bears treat them at that time.
That’s also why the Bears offer was leaked out and shared with other GMs. So teams (and players) could know it was a good offer, and it was Roquan holding things up. Roquan is a great player on the field, but I don’t think there’s one person: player, coach, or GM, that isn’t aware of his issues off the field. They aren’t going to hold the Bears accountable for that.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

You could say that about ANY hold in. Now that Derwin James is the highest paid safety in the league, is he a selfish asshole after clearly outperforming his rookie deal.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Idiot.

It sends a message that we are all in on our supposed franchise qb and will do anything to help him succeed in an offensive league. Not spend money on a non vital position.
Except in THIS defense the Will is a vital position right up there with the 3T and nickel.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:

That’s also why the Bears offer was leaked out and shared with other GMs. So teams (and players) could know it was a good offer, and it was Roquan holding things up. Roquan is a great player on the field, but I don’t think there’s one person: player, coach, or GM, that isn’t aware of his issues off the field. They aren’t going to hold the Bears accountable for that.

Correct!

A very good offer, but not highest paid offer. Not going to be held against the Bears.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Except in THIS defense the Will is a vital position right up there with the 3T and nickel.

Still an offensive league and you need great secondary players to stop other teams from slinging it all over the field. Roquan is not vital in today's NFL. I hope the Bears do the smart thing and offer him a good contract. Take it or leave it.